Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How useful is the ProZ.com term search - proz.com/search?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:28
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
It does not work properly Apr 4, 2006

The search works OK for Latin characters, but when I try to use it for Russian (Cyrillic, both via ProZ site and via ProZ KudoZ Search toolbar), it gives glitches so often that I stopped to try it. Now I use it only to search something in English.

Katharine Prucha
Katharine Prucha  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:28
Italian to English
+ ...
Very helpful! Apr 4, 2006

I use it on a daily basis and find it very helpful - especially when I can't find a term in any of my other sources - the possibility of actually posting a question is priceless!

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
Local time: 07:28
German to English
That's exactly what I've been doing Apr 4, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:

...it works very well, seems to be easier to enter term in Google and include Proz as a key word.

I usually get 0 results unless I use this method.

-sylvie

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
same here-glossary would be fantastic if one could find the terms in it Apr 4, 2006

sylvie malich wrote:

Lia Fail wrote:

...it works very well, seems to be easier to enter term in Google and include Proz as a key word.

I usually get 0 results unless I use this method.

-sylvie

I feel something really needs to be done so that a glossary search really does reveal what's in the glossary. Often the result is 000 and then on Google, lots of Kudoz hits appear. Very frustrating and time-wasting. For 2 of my 3 source languages, the Kudoz glossary is always a tremendous help but it would be great if improvements were made to the actual search function.

[Edited at 2006-04-04 11:07]

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:28
Italian to English
Invaluable Apr 4, 2006

Now that the number of entries has grown in my languages, I am making greater use of it.
While it cannot yet claim to be as comprehensive as a dictionary, it really does show up how limited and out of date many dictionaries are.
Seeing how words are actually used in context (and often having a range of options to choose from) has made it one of my first points of reference.

Diego Gomez Grün
Diego Gomez Grün  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
feature improvements Apr 4, 2006

The Proz.com term search feature has not been improved for quite some time. It would be nice to have more options when searching for a term. For instance, a "+" or "-" to include/exclude a word (or a box one could tick), inverted commas to include a specific phrase (and not just two separate words), etc.

I am surprised these -or other- improvements have not been implemented yet.

Diego in BA

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:28
English to Spanish
googling tip (off-topicky) Apr 4, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:

What I do is search this way:

intitle:term spanish site:proz.com

This way I get the term I want in the page title, so I generally get more hits for kudoz questions and less for forum posts, for example; the word Spanish (in my case) helps make sure I'll get a translation of my term into Spanish.
FWIW,
Andrea

[Edited at 2006-04-04 18:54]

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 01:28
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Thanks Andrea! Apr 6, 2006

That's an invaluable tip for maximising the use of an invaluable tool.

Nancy

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How useful is the ProZ.com term search - proz.com/search?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »