Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]
Poll: What is your general impression when you see the word "dragon" or its image?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:53
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
More about the dragons Apr 14, 2006

Özden Arıkan wrote:

...makes me wonder whether 'dragoman' shares a common root, too

Parrot wrote:

"Dracula" ... is formed by the Romanian word for 'dragon' + 'son of'.

Hi, Özden and Wise Parrot, and all

This discussion provided so much information about the dragon and definitely broadened my knowledge base. Do you know how to retrieve the poll result? It went away when the poll question expired.

Another two things I like to add into this discussion, just for making it fun. It is also believed among the Chinese people that there is a male dragon and a female dragon. They live in their crystal palace (水晶龙宫) in the sea. They also have their children and offspring in the palace. Do not ask me to identify which one is male and which one is female, I could never tell their difference for all these years. It seems it is not important to the Chinese. The same thing, they also named female phoenix as 凤(Feng) and the male as 凰(Huang). In the Chinese weddings, the center piece in the wedding room must be a design that has a dragon and a phoenix curling around a Chinese character for “double happiness” on the northern wall. In this design, the dragon represents the groom, and the phoenix represents the bride.

I also like to share with you an old fable story in China called Ye Gong Hao Long (叶公好龙). It is talking about an elderly gentleman by the name "Ye Gong (叶公)" who loved dragon all his life and was also a collector of dragon artifacts. He painted the dragon on all his house walls, carved dragon into all the pillars, and displayed the hand-made dragons everywhere in the house. One day the real dragon in the heaven heard that there was such a loyal fan on the earth, and decided to pay him a visit so to express its appreciation in person. At one thundering and lightening day, the dragon was carried by the dark clouds and came to the residence where Ye Gong lives. While the head of the dragon was just about entering the window of Ye Gong's house, Ye Gong saw this happening. At this sight, Ye Gong was frightened nearly out of his wits. His heart pumped so fast as if it would jump out of his throat. While his face turned as pale a piece of paper, Ye Gong was running to all directions for shelter before the dragon was able to apologize for this surprise visit. Just about everyone in China knows this story. This story tells people that Ye Gong was not truly fond of dragons. He liked what looked like a dragon, but not the real ones.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-04-14 19:20]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:53
English to Turkish
+ ...
Results Apr 15, 2006

Kevin, first of all thank you for this interesting poll and for still enriching the discussion with fabulous tales (pun intended!)

Poll results are here or under Community > Quick Polls > This poll's title, in case the link doesn't work.

Have a great day!
Özden

[Edited at 2006-04-15 01:35]

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Your link worked! Apr 15, 2006

Özden Arıkan wrote:

Kevin, first of all thank you for this interesting poll and for still enriching the discussion with fabulous tales (pun intended!)

Poll results are here or under Community > Quick Polls > This poll's title, in case the link doesn't work.

Have a great day!
Özden

[Edited at 2006-04-15 01:35]

Thank you, Özden!

It was my first time using this polling feature and was a bit clumsy. Your link worked!

Kevin

hj58
hj58
Local time: 17:53
English
to Mr. Kevin Yang Apr 17, 2006

Mr. Kevin Yang, many thanks for this Poll. Can you paste the last results here? I only have a record as below, and I can't visit the last results page because I'm not the high grade member. Thank you!

---------------
What is your general impression when you see the word "dragon" or its image?
Poll by Kevin Yang

Lovable, unique, interesting, etc. 34.9%

No opinion 28.9%

Evil, demon, harmful, etc. 26.5%

Do not know it
... See more
Mr. Kevin Yang, many thanks for this Poll. Can you paste the last results here? I only have a record as below, and I can't visit the last results page because I'm not the high grade member. Thank you!

---------------
Poll by Kevin Yang

No opinion 28.9%

Do not know its symbolic meanings. 9.7%

Total votes: 823

Discuss (55)
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Here is a copy of the last poll result Apr 17, 2006

hj58 wrote:

---------------
Poll by Kevin Yang

No opinion 28.9%

Do not know its symbolic meanings. 9.7%

Total votes: 823

Discuss (55)

Prof. Huang,

Here is a copy of the last poll result:

Poll by Kevin Yang

1. Lovable, unique, interesting, etc. 34.4%
2. No opinion 29.1%
3. Evil, demon, harmful, etc. 26.8%
4. Do not know its symbolic meanings. 9.8%

Total votes: 850
Totoal Discussion Messages (63)

Hope this will help.

Kevin

Viola Briatkova
Viola Briatkova
Slovakia
Local time: 10:53
Slovak to English
+ ...
Dragons as poets Mar 22, 2010

Kirill Semenov wrote:

Özden Arıkan wrote:
...I thought you were answering the question "Why do dragons need to capture beatiful princesses?", Derek!
Derek Gill Franßen wrote:
'Cause they're so darn pretty!

My first though was the same, Özden

Derek, seems you're a perverted personality, please reconsider your scale of values in this life.

I have read a Book of dragons, where was another explication:
Male dragons were passionate poets, and they needed a good public, educated and with good taste for literature - princesses heard lot of bards and singers - so they were qualified to judge poetry.
what was the role of the knight? I think that princess was asked politely several times to return, but she enjoyed dragon poetry so much... and moreover, what is better for an epic poem than a epic battle with a knight? I do not think, personally that the dragon was really hurt.. as poets, they knew the importance of right scene...like beauty in chains etc.. maybe that were dragons, who wrote all those myths:) and we, people, we have simply liked it too..

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your general impression when you see the word "dragon" or its image?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »