https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/45357-poll%3A_what_do_you_like_best_about_being_a_translator.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What do you like best about being a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 20, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you like best about being a translator?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:32
Japanese to English
It's a pity you can't select multiple options..... Apr 20, 2006

There are several I would have liked to choose.....

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Translating / writing as such Apr 20, 2006

Translation: I like the satisfaction of solving a difficult puzzle with diligent research, creativity, or a combination of both.

Translation/Writing: I like the feeling when the words begin to flow with little conscious effort (although those moments are no doubt enabled by much subconscious experience and knowledge).

Writing: I like being a writer without having to think up what I am going to write.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Where is... ???? Apr 20, 2006

ALL OF THE ABOVE... except for "Good Pay", perhaps, no, not perhaps, definitely.

ALL OF THE ABOVE... except "Good Pay".

I do it for all those reasons, except "Good Pay". I, like all, have to take what I can get, so maybe that would be "so I can eat".

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reasons Apr 20, 2006

Flexibility, the freedom to translate in a beach or at home.
The pay is not bad

Anne Grimes
Anne Grimes
Canada
Local time: 10:32
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree.. Apr 20, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

ALL OF THE ABOVE... except for "Good Pay", perhaps, no, not perhaps, definitely.

ALL OF THE ABOVE... except "Good Pay".

I do it for all those reasons, except "Good Pay". I, like all, have to take what I can get, so maybe that would be "so I can eat".

I agree with Henry. I would choose "All of the Above" if there were one, even the pay!
Anne

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree completely! Apr 20, 2006

GoodWords wrote:

Translation: I like the satisfaction of solving a difficult puzzle with diligent research, creativity, or a combination of both.

Translation/Writing: I like the feeling when the words begin to flow with little conscious effort (although those moments are no doubt enabled by much subconscious experience and knowledge).

Writing: I like being a writer without having to think up what I am going to write.

Couldn't have said it better!!! (great minds think alike?)

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:32
English to German
+ ...
The idle truth Apr 20, 2006

GoodWords wrote:

I confess I 'm just crazy about hot tub manuals...and boy am I glad that I don't have to write them myself

johanna

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:32
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Entrepeneurship Apr 20, 2006

I know that many translators come from (and are still part of) the world of academia. I love the combination of academia and translation. It is a pleasure to see a direct relation between work and money. All right, it may always be "enough", but if you work hard, you send out an invoice and eventually receive the money. That is quite different from teaching, where you are paid whether you work hard or not, unless you show up drunk or hastle a female student. There is no connection between l... See more
I know that many translators come from (and are still part of) the world of academia. I love the combination of academia and translation. It is a pleasure to see a direct relation between work and money. All right, it may always be "enough", but if you work hard, you send out an invoice and eventually receive the money. That is quite different from teaching, where you are paid whether you work hard or not, unless you show up drunk or hastle a female student. There is no connection between level of investment and pay. So, entrepeneurship is fun, at least for me.

Stephen Rifkind
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Really hard to choose between two... Apr 20, 2006

Freedom, and working with languages.

My love of working with languages got me this career.

This career got me freedom.

I use my freedom to work/play with languages.

Oh, how I love working till 2 AM when I'm on a roll and not having to get up till 10 the next morning!

Oh, how I love being on a roll, when the solutions flow and the words feel just right!

I could make more money, and maybe have almost as much fun, at a jo
... See more
Freedom, and working with languages.

My love of working with languages got me this career.

This career got me freedom.

I use my freedom to work/play with languages.

Oh, how I love working till 2 AM when I'm on a roll and not having to get up till 10 the next morning!

Oh, how I love being on a roll, when the solutions flow and the words feel just right!

I could make more money, and maybe have almost as much fun, at a job with regular hours. But then...I would have to work regular hours!

I'm too spoiled.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:02
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I like translating because... Apr 20, 2006

... I like translating... and writing.

RB Translations
RB Translations  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:32
English to Italian
+ ...
Knowledge Apr 20, 2006

The thing I like the most about this profession is the sheer variety of texts I get to work on and that maybe I would never read otherwise. I like the fact that I can learn something new from every new assignment, all the interesting facts I discover while working.

Petra Van Caneghem
Petra Van Caneghem
Local time: 16:32
English to Dutch
+ ...
intellectual challenge Apr 20, 2006

Intellectual challenge is definitely the biggest advantage for me.
I just love to get a difficult text, 'throw myself into it', make a translation and please the customer.
Nothing is nicer for me than to receive an e-mail saying 'the customer is impressed' or 'the customer is very satisfied'.

For the past 3 years I have been in a dull job (because of the children), with no responsibility, no challenge whatsoever...
Since last year I have started freelance translati
... See more
Intellectual challenge is definitely the biggest advantage for me.
I just love to get a difficult text, 'throw myself into it', make a translation and please the customer.
Nothing is nicer for me than to receive an e-mail saying 'the customer is impressed' or 'the customer is very satisfied'.

For the past 3 years I have been in a dull job (because of the children), with no responsibility, no challenge whatsoever...
Since last year I have started freelance translating again (I had been translating on and off the past 10 years), and the satisfaction I get from this is more than I had expected.
I have really missed that. Again now I feel I can do something.

And of course the freedom to plan your work...

No I would definitely not go back to a 9 to 5 job!
Collapse

EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Freedom and creativity Apr 20, 2006

I love the freedom this job gave me.

I love working at night when almost the entire city is asleep.
I don't know why but this atmosphere sort of boosts creativity. It's a very special atmosphere.

I love the idea that I donot have a 9 to 5 job. I don't think I could have coped with that!

Then, I'd say I really like the intellectual challenge and even more when you have to be creative with words. For instance, I do enjoy translating slogans and advert
... See more
I love the freedom this job gave me.

I love working at night when almost the entire city is asleep.
I don't know why but this atmosphere sort of boosts creativity. It's a very special atmosphere.

I love the idea that I donot have a 9 to 5 job. I don't think I could have coped with that!

Then, I'd say I really like the intellectual challenge and even more when you have to be creative with words. For instance, I do enjoy translating slogans and advertising material.

Have a nice day everyone!
Collapse

Anne-Hélène Bernard
Anne-Hélène Bernard
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
getting paid for learning everyday Apr 20, 2006

...all is said! I love this job! I enjoy the challenge and having to read through all kind of documents to finally find the right wording.
I also enjoy flexible hours. I sometimes work 20 hours in a row and know that the next day is going to be a great sunny day and that I'll have plenty of time to go to the beach...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you like best about being a translator?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »