https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/46735-poll%3A_what_kind_of_pc_office_software_you_use.html

Poll: What kind of PC & office software you use?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 6, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What kind of PC & office software you use?".

This poll was originally submitted by Jerzy Czopik

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: <
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What kind of PC & office software you use?".

This poll was originally submitted by Jerzy Czopik

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 23:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Windows, MS Office, but also Corel WordPerfect Suite May 7, 2006

For word processing I *vastly* prefer WordPerfect and I have a list of reasons why. Some of my clients require MS Word and I can do that, but I often work in WordPerfect and then save it in RTF for the client.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:43
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hi Jerzy! May 8, 2006

You are using quite a range of software, nice!

I work on both, PC and Mac. The good old Mac does all the Photoshop, Illustrator, QuarkXPress and Freehand applications, the PC is in charge of all the "word processing" and the latest version of Indesign. I am using OpenOffice, I can save documents in whatever format, but I am not too happy with this freeware. I will have to buy the Microsoft Office licence, sigh!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:43
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm not using all this software May 8, 2006

In fact I use a PC with Windows XP and Micorosft Office. Then I have some DTP applications running on this PC. For special purposes Open Office, Wordperfect Office and Lotus Suite are installed too and can be used.
I also have a Mac with MS Office and some DTP applications for demanding customers
But I don't have any Linux PC here.

I was just curious what kind of software and PC is the most popular among t
... See more
In fact I use a PC with Windows XP and Micorosft Office. Then I have some DTP applications running on this PC. For special purposes Open Office, Wordperfect Office and Lotus Suite are installed too and can be used.
I also have a Mac with MS Office and some DTP applications for demanding customers
But I don't have any Linux PC here.

I was just curious what kind of software and PC is the most popular among translators.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:43
English to Polish
Linux May 8, 2006

Nicole Schnell wrote:
I am using OpenOffice, I can save documents in whatever format, but I am not too happy with this freeware. I will have to buy the Microsoft Office licence, sigh!

I am very satisfied with OO. I definitely prefer it to any MS product.

As Linux user I am quite satisfied that 99% of my software is freeware and I can update it as soon as new versions appear without worrying about additional expences.
Only keeping the PC up to date consumes money... Shame

Anni

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:43
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Open Office and WindowsXP May 8, 2006

As Linux user I am quite satisfied that 99% of my software is freeware and I can update it as soon as new versions appear

Hi Anni, thanks for mentioning Linux! I am getting envious. WindowsXP and this particular freeware (which was created to be a competitor to MSOffice) don't like each other very much. No wonder...

LukaszPL
LukaszPL  Identity Verified
Poland
Apple...? May 8, 2006

My question is: would you say that buying an Apple computer, and NOT using any of the Microsoft software would be a good move (in terms of doing translation work)?
I'm a PC/Windows XP/Microsoft Office user at the moment, but it seems like the Apple computers are knocking on my door with a desperate 'buy me, buy me' cry;) as I'm sooooo sick of all the freezes, viruses, errors etc... Should I get a Mac, then?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Apple...? May 8, 2006

This is a question that only you can answer.
Look at the profile of your customers and try to imaginge you would deliver Mac files. How many of your customers would be lost? How many of them use Aplle? How many documents do you get for Apple?

Apple is very good - but I would not say it is better than PC. It is more "exclusive". But you need to remember, that there is no 100% compatibility between Apple and PC - even not, if using the corresponding MS Software - Word file from
... See more
This is a question that only you can answer.
Look at the profile of your customers and try to imaginge you would deliver Mac files. How many of your customers would be lost? How many of them use Aplle? How many documents do you get for Apple?

Apple is very good - but I would not say it is better than PC. It is more "exclusive". But you need to remember, that there is no 100% compatibility between Apple and PC - even not, if using the corresponding MS Software - Word file from Apple looks different in PC and vice versa.

I bought Apple not to eplace the PC; but to get a wider basis for customers, since some of them prefer to work with Apple.

Best
Jerzy
Collapse

Sandra C.
Sandra C.
France
English to French
+ ...
Mac lover May 8, 2006

I use Apple exclusively. No problems at all with files from and to customers! I use MS office pro (teachers edition) and it even does a compatibility check if I ask it to.
No viruses, no worms, no bugs, no freezes, no crashes.
IMO, Apple's the best and always will be, wether one is a translator or not!

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:43
English to Polish
Safety comfort :) May 8, 2006

Sandra Chiancone wrote:

No viruses, no worms, no bugs, no freezes, no crashes.

Yes, this is a great advantage of "non-Windows" systems Linux is relatively safe from those malware too.

I hope to buy an Apple laptop some day, but for now I'll stick to PC and Linux

Anni

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
On Macs and PCs May 10, 2006

Yes, there is some sort of compatibility between Mac and PC files.
If you work with all western languages without special characters not included in ASCII or ANSI you shouldn´t have problems.
But when you start using extended Unicode sets (as I do for Polish), the situation changes rapidly. And then try to take a heavy graphic loaded Word file...
Even such applications as QuarkXPress, which is much more resistent againts platform changes, is not 100% compatible.

S
... See more
Yes, there is some sort of compatibility between Mac and PC files.
If you work with all western languages without special characters not included in ASCII or ANSI you shouldn´t have problems.
But when you start using extended Unicode sets (as I do for Polish), the situation changes rapidly. And then try to take a heavy graphic loaded Word file...
Even such applications as QuarkXPress, which is much more resistent againts platform changes, is not 100% compatible.

So I still have to have both systems

Best
Jerzy
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Using both Mac and PC May 11, 2006

I use both Mac and PC systems.

My very first computer was a cute Mac SE (with System 6 point something, I think) on which I did localization projects using ResEdit for the user interface, Word and PageMaker for the doc.

I now mainly use the PC for daily use (including running CAT tools and DTP applications) and the Mac for special projects (like testing of Mac applications and help files) or clients specific requests.

As I work mainly in software localizat
... See more
I use both Mac and PC systems.

My very first computer was a cute Mac SE (with System 6 point something, I think) on which I did localization projects using ResEdit for the user interface, Word and PageMaker for the doc.

I now mainly use the PC for daily use (including running CAT tools and DTP applications) and the Mac for special projects (like testing of Mac applications and help files) or clients specific requests.

As I work mainly in software localization and in the graphic arts/printing field, having both systems (and feeling at ease in both ) is a good thing for both myself and my clients.

Roberta
Collapse

Cristiana Francone
Cristiana Francone  Identity Verified
Romanian to Italian
+ ...
Linux May 25, 2010

I'm very happy with it, I think it is perfect! No viruses, no worms, no costs!
I use OpenOffice, the compatibility is very high. And I use also OmegaT as CAT tool. I have also Wordfast (Linux version) but I don't like it very much...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What kind of PC & office software you use?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »