Poll: What time unit do you use to represent your productivity? For instance "words per "
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 24, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What time unit do you use to represent your productivity? For instance "words per "".

This poll was originally submitted by Enrique

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new pol
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What time unit do you use to represent your productivity? For instance "words per "".

This poll was originally submitted by Enrique

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:36
English to French
Per month May 25, 2006

I am used to refer to my income per month to reflect my productivity.
Philippe

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Words per day May 25, 2006

Hi Enrique,

I chose "words per day", but words are not always the one and only unit we use for assessing the amount of a text. Here in Germany we often use standard lines which contain 55 characters including spaces.

When setting up a quote for a potential client (translation agency) I often prefer to give an interval like from xx to yy words, lines or whatever a day. There are so many factors for your productivity per day, e.g. if you have other jobs around, file forma
... See more
Hi Enrique,

I chose "words per day", but words are not always the one and only unit we use for assessing the amount of a text. Here in Germany we often use standard lines which contain 55 characters including spaces.

When setting up a quote for a potential client (translation agency) I often prefer to give an interval like from xx to yy words, lines or whatever a day. There are so many factors for your productivity per day, e.g. if you have other jobs around, file format or client's source text, you might turn ill or if you're on a business trip (just like Regional ProZ Conference in Berlin this coming weekend).

After all, we're human beings and no machines

Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail [email protected]
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.technical-translators.net
Internet www.wintitus.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654

[Bearbeitet am 2006-05-25 09:06]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:36
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Income May 25, 2006

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Philippe

Me too but not based on words. I use the income as reference.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:36
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
How else? May 25, 2006

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Philippe

I agree fully. I try to target 2 - 2500 words per day on average, but the amount of work produced by anybody obviously varies depending upon its nature and extraneous factors such as research, admin, customer communication, etc.

The most important factor must be income - or to be more precise - profit. Like many others, I love my work and could never imagine wanting to do anything else. Nevertheless, we are in business, so the "time unit" should surely be month/revenue.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:36
English to French
productivity for oneself or others? May 25, 2006

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

"What time unit do you use to represent your productivity? For instance "words per

Actually, I am not sure I understood the question. But at least I understand my answer.
I assess my productivity in terms of income per month, but when prospects ask for productivity/output figures, I state 2000-2500 words per working day...
Philippe

Manuel Rodriguez
Manuel Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oops May 25, 2006

I voted without really reflecting on the question. I checked words per hour, when I meant to say words per day, which is roughly 2000, depending on the difficulty of the text.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What time unit do you use to represent your productivity? For instance "words per "

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »