https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/48832-poll%3A_is_paretos_80_20_rule_also_applicable_to_your_business.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Is Pareto's 80/20 rule also applicable to your business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 3, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Is Pareto's 80/20 rule also applicable to your business?".

This poll was originally submitted by Maciej Andrzejczak

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Is Pareto's 80/20 rule also applicable to your business?".

This poll was originally submitted by Maciej Andrzejczak

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:46
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Pareto's rule Jun 3, 2006

Pareto's rule basically says that the top 20% of the inputs produce 80% of the outcomes.

For example the top 20% of your customers may account for 80% of your income. Also you may find that the top 20% of your problems account for 80% of your losses.

It is used in management to assign priorities. Usually the problems are grouped in categories and the categories ordered by decreasing frequency. The top 20% of the categories usually enclose 80% of the issues.

... See more
Pareto's rule basically says that the top 20% of the inputs produce 80% of the outcomes.

For example the top 20% of your customers may account for 80% of your income. Also you may find that the top 20% of your problems account for 80% of your losses.

It is used in management to assign priorities. Usually the problems are grouped in categories and the categories ordered by decreasing frequency. The top 20% of the categories usually enclose 80% of the issues.

The exact number may differ from 80 and 20 but in general when large numbers are involved many activities show a strong correlation with Pareto's rule.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 07:46
English to Spanish
I agree with Enrique... Jun 3, 2006

And here's in my own words:

I interpret Pareto's Principle in such a way as to produce what is called Superstar Management. My own understanding claims that, since 20 percent of your Clients produce 80 percent of your income, you should focus your limited time on managing only that 20 percent, the Superstars.

Pareto's Principle, the 80/20 Rule, should serve as a daily reminder to focus 80 percent of your time and energy on the 20 percent of your work that is real
... See more

I interpret Pareto's Principle in such a way as to produce what is called Superstar Management. My own understanding claims that, since 20 percent of your Clients produce 80 percent of your income, you should focus your limited time on managing only that 20 percent, the Superstars.

Pareto's Principle, the 80/20 Rule, should serve as a daily reminder to focus 80 percent of your time and energy on the 20 percent of your work that is really important. Don't just "work smart", work smart on the right things.

That's a good Principle! And a smart Poll. Congratulations to Maciej Andrzejczak.

Hugs,
Tadzio.

[Edited at 2006-06-03 03:55]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:46
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Badly worded poll Jun 3, 2006

It seems to apply to who understands it. About 80% don't, therefore you will not obtain any meaningful result from it. The question should have explained what it meant.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
Wish I checked the forum first Jun 3, 2006

Then my answer would have been "Yes"

I chose "What is it?"

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A bit more even distribution Jun 3, 2006

I think a ratio of 70/30 or 60/40 would be more applicable, at least in my case.

Carmen Schultz
Carmen Schultz  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Was not familiar ... Jun 3, 2006

Being that I was not familiar with this rule (and I had taken several economics and business classes several yrs. ago), this question was not easy to answer from my perspective.

Perhaps you could have explained it in layman's terms to get better poll results.

Best of luck...

Carmen Schultz
Carmen Schultz  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good job analyzing and explaining. Now I can understand it better! Jun 3, 2006

Tadzio wrote:

Pareto's Principle, the 80/20 Rule, should serve as a daily reminder to focus 80 percent of your time and energy on the 20 percent of your work that is really important. Don't just "work smart", work smart on the right things.

That's a good Principle! And a smart Poll. Congratulations to Maciej Andrzejczak.

Hugs,
Tadzio.

[Edited at 2006-06-03 03:55]

Oleksandr Melnyk
Oleksandr Melnyk  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:46
English to Russian
Agree with Jack Jun 3, 2006

Agree with Jack Doughty. And I answered "What is it?"
It seems it has something to do with Murphy's law. But how many of us would be able to answer for instance the question "Do you agree with the third Murphy's law?" without it being explained? Not many, I think, although most of us have heard it: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
agree Jun 3, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:

It seems to apply to who understands it. About 80% don't, therefore you will not obtain any meaningful result from it. The question should have explained what it meant.

It's an 80/20 rule that can be interpreted in too many ways.

[Edited at 2006-06-03 10:47]

avantix
avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
Baffled... Jun 3, 2006

Hey guys, we're translators! Aren't we supposed to look up things that do not spontaneously come to our minds? The answer to 'what is it?' is only one mouseclick away.
I checked Google in several languages and found every time at least one link to an explanation of this principle within the first 10 entries!
Obviously approx. 80% did not do so. Does this mean that the Paretto principle also applies to the quality of translators? I hope it doesn't!

Have a nice day.

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
Well... Jun 3, 2006

avantix wrote:

Hey guys, we're translators! Aren't we supposed to look up things that do not spontaneously come to our minds? The answer to 'what is it?' is only one mouseclick away.
I checked Google in several languages and found every time at least one link to an explanation of this principle within the first 10 entries!
Obviously approx. 80% did not do so. Does this mean that the Paretto principle also applies to the quality of translators? I hope it doesn't!

Have a nice day.

Of course I could have looked it up. But I assumed that the answer "What is it?" was there for a reason, i.e. that maybe the asker wanted not only to see whether the rule applies to the translation business, but also how many people had actually heard of the rule.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:46
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
biased Jun 3, 2006

Very interesting question...

Congratulations to Enrique for the very clear explanation ( I needed one myself). I also agree with avantix, but I suppose that the final results will be biased by the poll "design" (and for this reason not very useful in order to obtain a clear picture of the situation).

Regards,

Tex

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
Bad business strategy... Jun 3, 2006

if 20% of your clients give you 80% of your earnings.

That's one of the things that banks are particularly looking at, especially under the new basel II ruling.

If you have such business model, you get some bad points for the company's evaluation (especially when looking for money from a bank).

Having 80% of your income from a few client makes you very dependant of your client. They can tell you do as I want or a take another outsourcer and you start to sw
... See more
if 20% of your clients give you 80% of your earnings.

That's one of the things that banks are particularly looking at, especially under the new basel II ruling.

If you have such business model, you get some bad points for the company's evaluation (especially when looking for money from a bank).

Having 80% of your income from a few client makes you very dependant of your client. They can tell you do as I want or a take another outsourcer and you start to sweat.
Collapse

Otmar Lichtenwörther
Otmar Lichtenwörther  Identity Verified
Austria
English to German
+ ...
yes, too 'sophisticated' question Jun 3, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:

I also belong the the 80% who didn't understand the question. So I chose "What is it?" Otherwise I'd have said yes.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is Pareto's 80/20 rule also applicable to your business?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »