https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/49633-poll%3A_whats_the_best_time_for_you_to_work.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What's the best time for you to work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 17, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What's the best time for you to work?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Ahmed Dahman
Ahmed Dahman  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 03:38
English to Arabic
+ ...
Late at night Jun 18, 2006

I like working late at night as there are no phone calls, visitors or anything and it's just me and my work. All the time from 11 pm to 8 or 9 am with nothing to bother would be so nice.
It's now 3:45 am in Egypt
Have a nice day

regards
Ahmed Dahman

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

missing answer Jun 18, 2006

Each time is good
when I'm in right mood...

When working, I find perfect practically each time as I don't bother working at night or in the morning. Everything depends on my mood, type of text, street noise...

M.

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 11:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
When I'm ready... Jun 18, 2006

....that's the beauty and the luxury of working freelance and especially full time freelance.

Sometimes mornings are better, sometimes afternoons and evenings and sometimes pulling an all-nighter like Ahmed. Just like Monika said, however the mood takes you.

It's important that you recognise in yourself, that point in the day when you are ready to produce the best quality work and I'm sure with everyone that varies from day to day.

Mark

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
That's the beauty... Jun 18, 2006

...of being freelance, you work when you have the energy, and when you don't, you do something to replace it, like sleep, eat, recreation, etc.

Because we are not made to work 8 to 5, 40 hours a week.

Branka Stankovic McCarthy
Branka Stankovic McCarthy  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Early morning Jun 18, 2006

No hustle and bustle, no children running around and demanding my attention, no phones...
I do work at all times of day but it's early in the morning that I'm at my most productive.

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:38
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Late at night! Jun 18, 2006

Ahmed Dahman wrote:

I like working late at night as there are no phone calls, visitors or anything and it's just me and my work. All the time from 11 pm to 8 or 9 am with nothing to bother would be so nice.
It's now 3:45 am in Egypt
Have a nice day

regards
Ahmed Dahman

3:35 am in Argentina

Have a nice weekend everybody!

Andrea

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:38
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Peace and quiet Jun 18, 2006

[/quote]

3:35 am in Argentina
[/quote]

It is 2:12 am Pacific Standard Time. Instead of going to bed (or watching a late night movie, which I would prefer) I am starting some work now. Peace and quiet. Wihin the next two hours I will get more done than during 6 hours daytime. Sad, but true.

Marija Stojanovich
Marija Stojanovich  Identity Verified
Serbia
Serbian to English
+ ...
Late at night Jun 18, 2006

I've never been an early bird (and neither is my daughter), so night shift was my first choice from the start - I work 11 PM - 5 AM, and still have time to grab some sleep before my "angels" (reads: hubby & co) wake up around noon.

Then again, we're a freelance family and the word "schedule" disappeared from our household vocabulary a long time ago...

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:38
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Depends -- but usually mornings Jun 18, 2006

With the hot summer weather at the moment I definitely prefer working evenings and mornings. Currently I usually either take the whole afternoon off (and enjoy the sun in the garden or elsewhere) or at least take a very long lunch break/siesta.

I guess, I am more of a morning person. When I make the effort to get up early (say six or seven-ish) I am usually pretty productive in the morning and get a lot of work done even before breakfast. If I work at night then usually only until t
... See more
With the hot summer weather at the moment I definitely prefer working evenings and mornings. Currently I usually either take the whole afternoon off (and enjoy the sun in the garden or elsewhere) or at least take a very long lunch break/siesta.

I guess, I am more of a morning person. When I make the effort to get up early (say six or seven-ish) I am usually pretty productive in the morning and get a lot of work done even before breakfast. If I work at night then usually only until ten or so - hardly ever beyond midnight.

Another important factor, of course, are deadlines: When a deadline is looming and the client is breathing down my neck, then I can be (or rather have to be) productive at any time of the day or night

[Edited at 2006-06-18 11:10]
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Early in the morning Jun 18, 2006

Generally I reserve the first hours of the day for editing or proofreading. Kids rise at 6am to travel to school, so I start at that time. Today's Sunday and as I woke up at 4 am I thought it was the perfect time to start. Definitely, I prefer mornings to evenings.

Elías

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
morning AND late evening Jun 18, 2006

I have noticed that I'm much more efficient and concentrated in the morning - 9 am to 1 pm approximately - and also after 5 pm, especially in the evening until 11 pm.
Between 2 and 4 pm, I just can't get anything done properly, or I take twice the time I would need in the evening. Generally I do paperwork - invoices, etc. or home chores, or I even go shopping: it's the best time to go to the supermarket as it will be almost empty...
For the last three years my schedule has not been v
... See more
I have noticed that I'm much more efficient and concentrated in the morning - 9 am to 1 pm approximately - and also after 5 pm, especially in the evening until 11 pm.
Between 2 and 4 pm, I just can't get anything done properly, or I take twice the time I would need in the evening. Generally I do paperwork - invoices, etc. or home chores, or I even go shopping: it's the best time to go to the supermarket as it will be almost empty...
For the last three years my schedule has not been very practical with two children - only the eldest goes to school -, but I know that next September my young boy will also go to school so I will have time to work every morning and I look forward to it.
Now I often work in the evening when they are asleep but if I don't pay attention, I keep working and working until 1 am and it's very difficult to get up early the next morning and prepare everything for my daughter who leaves at 8 am!
Collapse

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Spanish to English
+ ...
Late at night! Jun 19, 2006

It's 0:12 Costa Rican time!
I have just sat down and started a long and boring project. I think today I'll go to bed around 6:30 a.m. and will get up around 7:30 a.m.

I usually work until 2-3 a.m. and wake up very early in the morning, when school kids start talking in the street (before 7:00).

In the mornings, I'm not productive at all. I better spend these hours preparing my university classes, scoring exams and doing some paperwork.

Ocassionally I
... See more
It's 0:12 Costa Rican time!
I have just sat down and started a long and boring project. I think today I'll go to bed around 6:30 a.m. and will get up around 7:30 a.m.

I usually work until 2-3 a.m. and wake up very early in the morning, when school kids start talking in the street (before 7:00).

In the mornings, I'm not productive at all. I better spend these hours preparing my university classes, scoring exams and doing some paperwork.

Ocassionally I indulge myself taking a very long nap, especially Saturdays after teaching at the university from 8:00 to 1:15 p.m. and only a 15-minute recess (to change classes).
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:08
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Time is of the day/night is immaterial Jun 19, 2006

In my case, I have never noticed any correlation between the time of the day/night when I am working and in my output or quality of translation.

I work equally well at all times if I am fresh, undisturbed and not tired. This combination of factors could happen at any time of the day or night.

Chiara Covili
Chiara Covili  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
In the evening Jun 19, 2006

For me, the best time to work is in the evening, post dinner

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What's the best time for you to work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »