Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: How does the Football World Cup affect your working schedule?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 20, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How does the Futbol World Cup affect your working schedule?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-06-21 07:05]

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:21
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No changes. Jun 21, 2006

It doesn't. As football doesn't feed me I don't care about that world sport tournament. My work schedule doesn't suffer any changes.

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm a real fan!!! Jun 21, 2006

I really love soccer and watch as many matches as possible, even if the matches are for the local tournament. Despite our "disastrous" performance in the World Cup, I try to watch all the games.

Now, I hope Argentina will be the champion!!!

Whenever I'm very stressed and urgently need some relief, I go to the stadium with my nieces and nephews to watch my favorite team.

Lorena Grancelli
Lorena Grancelli  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:21
English to Spanish
Tomorrow everything stops at 4 PM!!! Jun 21, 2006

Claudia Aguero wrote:

Now, I hope Argentina will be the champion!!!

Thanks Claudia!
We all watch Argentina's matches at home, they're so exciting!!!
I also hope Argentina will bring the world cup!

Lorena

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 03:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Still more interested in NBA finals Jun 21, 2006

That's basketball, for those whose love is elsewhere! My husband has had the Dallas/Miami game on tonight and it has been very hard to concentrate on my work. When this is over (either tonight or after one more game), then I'll pay more attention to the World Cup.

I love sports but have little time to watch.

[Edited at 2006-06-21 02:57]

Roman Bardachev
Roman Bardachev  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Russian
+ ...
my take on it Jun 21, 2006

Here is how I see it (like anyone cares.. lol):

(1) NHL regular season and playoffs -- all work stops, especially when the home town team is playing;
(2) FIFA World Cup -- kinda cool, may watch while working;
(3) NBA -- won't watch under any circumstances;
(4) NFL -- see item 3 above, would rather have Discovery Channel in the backgound

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:51
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Does not affect me Jun 21, 2006

I have never been the sporty type and being Indian, it is cricket, not football or anything else, that charges the adrenalin.

Due to media hype, especially television, the upper classes of India are waking up to the orgasmic potential of football choreography, but most others are blissfully unaware of this virile sport.

Also, the Indian football team is not going to be there for several millenniums at least, so only vicarious enjoyment of the sport is possible for us, w
... See more
I have never been the sporty type and being Indian, it is cricket, not football or anything else, that charges the adrenalin.

Due to media hype, especially television, the upper classes of India are waking up to the orgasmic potential of football choreography, but most others are blissfully unaware of this virile sport.

Also, the Indian football team is not going to be there for several millenniums at least, so only vicarious enjoyment of the sport is possible for us, which does not excite me much.
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I don't get the opportunity to work when Germany wins Jun 21, 2006

I chose "When my country plays". However, that is not because I watch it - I do not even have a television!

Every time Germany wins a match all the young people in this area drive through the streets, round and round in circles, hooting their car horns, for several hours on end. Therefore, I do not have the opportunity to work during these hours, because of the noise. They have adopted the custom from the Bavarian custom of doing the same thing when somebody gets married.

... See more
I chose "When my country plays". However, that is not because I watch it - I do not even have a television!

Every time Germany wins a match all the young people in this area drive through the streets, round and round in circles, hooting their car horns, for several hours on end. Therefore, I do not have the opportunity to work during these hours, because of the noise. They have adopted the custom from the Bavarian custom of doing the same thing when somebody gets married.

Germany won against Ecuador yesterday, so it happened again.

Astrid
Collapse

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
not just the upper classes of India :) Jun 21, 2006

Balasubramaniam wrote:
Due to media hype, especially television, the upper classes of India are waking up to the orgasmic potential of football choreography

I must admit I have been drawn to watch a handful of games during the World Cup, even if I normally ignore the sport entirely...and even if it will be a few more years/decades until mainstream U.S. society catches on to the universal craze. Or perhaps that is why I am watching, around here being into soccer/football is pretty avant-garde

Susana

Chiara Covili
Chiara Covili  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
No changes Jun 21, 2006

I am not interested in sport, I never watch matches in TV

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:21
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Great vacation :) Jun 21, 2006

I have not missed any game yet, and I plan to watch each and every match. Before the WC started I sent notices to my regular clients to warn them that my daily output will be twice lower than usual because of the World Cup. Luckily, no hard workload or strict deadlines for a while, so I'm able to be a coach potato each afternoon and enjoy the great football.

anulka
anulka  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:21
German to Polish
+ ...
Germans love football :) Jun 21, 2006

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Germany won against Ecuador yesterday, so it happened again.

Astrid

Yeah, confirmed, Astrid, Bavaria got crazy, too.

I enjoy World Cup a lot but Munich got totally crazy yesterday and I just could not work. It was a horrible day when my home country, Poland, lost against Germany, too...

And now I'm cheering for Germany and Argentina!!!

Anette Hilgendag
Anette Hilgendag  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Working at night instead ... Jun 21, 2006

Ania Grajek wrote:

And now I'm cheering for Germany and Argentina!!!

That's the spirit, Ania!!!

I have actually started working late night after the end of the last match for a day.
Thankfully most of my clients are also watching the cup and nobody expects a quick answer when Germany or Spain are playing ...
My favourite: Argentina

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I dont have to stop Jun 21, 2006

I don't even have to watch!

Somewhere in this building, a fan club keeps a television screen on during all the matches. Everytime there's a goal, we all know.

Add to that, we have a central patio and the sound really carries.

To complicate matters, we're about four blocks away from the city's giant screen (where the traffic gets rerouted everytime Spain plays). Since it's been two times that it won, the repercussions get pretty disrupting. You can't even he
... See more
I don't even have to watch!

Somewhere in this building, a fan club keeps a television screen on during all the matches. Everytime there's a goal, we all know.

Add to that, we have a central patio and the sound really carries.

To complicate matters, we're about four blocks away from the city's giant screen (where the traffic gets rerouted everytime Spain plays). Since it's been two times that it won, the repercussions get pretty disrupting. You can't even hear yourself think.

It doesn't even have to be the world cup. You don't even have to listen. You could be running errands, and all the shopkeepers along the way keep you updated on the blow-by-blow.

I can understand this:

Susana Galilea wrote:

Or perhaps that is why I am watching, around here being into soccer/football is pretty avant-garde

It's low-visibility in the States and even in the UK you can somehow ignore it. In Spain it has a way of throwing itself into your lap, under your feet and on top of your keyboard. And here's how I noticed football is probably a gap in my general education: I know football terms in Spanish that I can't even use in English!! Not enough, at any rate, to call a foul.
Collapse

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:21
Russian to English
+ ...
every minute of every game Jun 21, 2006

It's only 4 hours a day now (two matches on at the same time) so it makes for a nice break from work.

Argentina are very impressive so far!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How does the Football World Cup affect your working schedule?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »