https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/50064-poll%3A_would_you_like_to_be_a_site_moderator.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Would you like to be a site moderator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 25, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you like to be a site moderator?".

This poll was originally submitted by Enrique

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you like to be a site moderator?".

This poll was originally submitted by Enrique

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:32
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
To the current moderators Jun 25, 2006

Of course some participants will already be site moderators, but in order to keep the poll simple I kindly ask them to answer as though they were not mods.

Thanks,
Enrique

HarryHedgehog
HarryHedgehog
Germany
Local time: 14:32
German to English
Moderators, mentors and kudoz - oh my! Jun 25, 2006

I feel my contributions to my kudoz language pair (and thus WikiWords) are quite enough volunteer work, thank you, so that's a big "no" from me.

My feelings on this matter haven't changed since my last forum post: if this is supposed to be a place for professionals, professionals deserve to get paid.

HH

[Edited at 2006-06-25 08:29]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:32
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Strong words. Jun 25, 2006

Please allow me to take a very different point of view here.

SOMEBODY needs to pay or work for the maintenance of Proz.com, technical stuff and staff, server space, etc.. Idealistic contributions might not count as they can't be calculated in dollar, euro or whatever. It costs money.

Personally, I have profited from Proz.com beyond belief. I hope that other colleagues are as lucky as I am. I didn't have to lift a finger to acquire new business in a year and a half. I a
... See more
Please allow me to take a very different point of view here.

SOMEBODY needs to pay or work for the maintenance of Proz.com, technical stuff and staff, server space, etc.. Idealistic contributions might not count as they can't be calculated in dollar, euro or whatever. It costs money.

Personally, I have profited from Proz.com beyond belief. I hope that other colleagues are as lucky as I am. I didn't have to lift a finger to acquire new business in a year and a half. I am being contacted by companies personally (I am not talking about job alerts, this feature has been turned off for a long time). I am happy to pay my annual fees and I would love to do even more to contribute to this great community and network.
Collapse

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 22:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
How about a deal? Jun 25, 2006

Ok, so people are saying moderators should be paid for their hard work and the time they put in etc...how about a compromise?

I'll moderate if you put our profile in the middle of page one of the directory in both of our language pairs:)

You know what they say..."nothing in life is free" and "if you don't ask you don't get":)

Mark / Chinese Concept

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Many of us benefit more than we contribute .... Jun 25, 2006

HarryHedgehog wrote:

I feel my contributions to my kudoz language pair (and thus WikiWords) are quite enough volunteer work, thank you, so that's a big "no" from me.

My feelings on this matter haven't changed since my last forum post: if this is supposed to be a place for professionals, professionals deserve to get paid.

HH

There's nothing wrong with earning money, so thanks to those who can earn a living from being available professionally on the site. It's a great service, and you're obviously doing the right things for most of us!

The voluntary work means it is available to those who need it most - serious beginners who can't afford to pay a lot, and translators from 'small' languages where what resources exist are expensive and may be hard to find. But the 'big' languages benefit in many ways too.

Admit it, we've all been beginners once. I for one can never repay the people who helped me up the ladder, but I can help the next generation (who will perhaps be paying my pension when the time comes )

The beauty of this site is that everyone gets more out of it than they put in, because once contributed, the help and advice remain available to others.

By working for the clients who find me here I earn far more than the subscription.

By browsing KudoZ I collect hints and advice, which I note down. Dozens of times I've been helped with answers to my own questions.

I've found help instantly and for free with Trados problems...

so A BIG THANK YOU to all those who help as volunteers.

It would cost a lot more if we all had to pay for the voluntary serivces, and many helpful people would not be able to afford to join in.

The people who go the extra mile and contribute for free make the site what it is.

[Edited at 2006-06-25 11:34]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Big Kudoz to Christine. Jun 25, 2006

No comment necessary.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:32
English to Arabic
+ ...
Is there a particular reason for this poll? Jun 25, 2006

I mean, is there a lack of interest among Prozians in becoming moderators?
The reason I'm asking is that a few months ago I expressed my interest in becoming the moderator for the Arabic forum (which is currently moderated by Henry, a non-Arabic speaker), and - if I remember correctly - I received a thank you for my interest, but that was it.

Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
No Jun 25, 2006

I disagree with many of the site rules, limitations or absence of limitations. I have no problem to observe them, though, because rules are rules, but I would not want to enforce them- I am not that hypocritical.

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jun 25, 2006

Yes, i d like to contribute.

Actually I work pro bono for a committe of C.T.P.C.B.A. s.

Of course, I d be important to me to have to opportunity to give my opinions/suggestions, etc.

Alicia

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
I answered yes Jun 25, 2006

Because I'd be curious to know what exactly goes on behind the scenes regarding improvements to the site, like the highly controversial WWA http://www.proz.com/post/369496.

--
Dyran
(who was once a moderator many moons ago)

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No Jun 25, 2006

Being a moderator would mean having to think inside the box, someone else´s box. Being an ex-bureaucrat (amazing I could do it!), I know what that is all about.

When I threw off those chains, I threw them off forever.

I´ll stick to answering Kudoz questions.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:32
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I answered "No" Jun 25, 2006

I always like to help people and would do it with pleasure. The problem is that I don't have any time left! My activities include not only being a housewife, but also taking care of one child and translating. When I have some time left, I enjoy going out with family or friends. Sorry!

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:32
English to Polish
No Jun 25, 2006

Not that I wouldn't like to help; it's a matter of time - I wouldn't find time to do my duties.

Anni

Premium✍️
Premium✍️  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
NOPE Jun 25, 2006

mod·er·a·tor (mŏd'ə-rā'tər) pronunciation
n.

1. One that moderates, as:
1. One that arbitrates or mediates.
2. One who presides over a meeting, forum, or debate.
2. The officer who presides over a synod or general assembly of the Presbyterian Church.
3. Physics. A substance, such as water or graphite, that is used in a nuclear reactor to decrease the speed of fast neutrons and increase the likelihood of fission.

MODERATE:
mod·er·ate (mŏd'ər-ĭt) pronunciation
adj.

1. Being within reasonable limits; NOT excessive or extreme: a moderate price.
2. Not violent or subject to extremes; mild or calm; temperate: a moderate climate.
1. Of medium or average quantity or extent.
2. Of limited or average quality; mediocre.
4. Opposed to radical or extreme views or measures, especially in politics or religion.

n.

One who holds or champions moderate views or opinions, especially in politics or religion.

v., -at·ed, -at·ing, -ates. (mŏd'ə-rāt')

v.tr.

1. To LESSEN the violence, severity, or extremeness of.
2. To preside over: She was chosen to moderate the convention.

v.intr.

1. To become LESS violent, severe, or extreme; abate.
2. To act as a moderator.

Humans have proven through centuries of existence that very rarely can a person be a true moderator.
Time and time again, personal affiliations and loyalties, personal ambitions, self-pride, common affinities plus personal friendship OR work relationships with parties involved, gender likeness, business associations, shady alliances, conflict of interests, favoritism, nepotism, despotism, narrow views and ulterior motives have altered what they are supposed to be: I M P A R T I A L , and do:
justice for ALL. IOWs, to treat everybody on equal footing, with equal respect and enforce the rules even-handedly.
im·par·tial (ĭm-pär'shəl) pronunciation
adj.

NOT partial or biased; unprejudiced. See synonyms at fair1.
impartiality im'par·ti·al'i·ty (-shē-ăl'ĭ-tē) or im·par'tial·ness n.
impartially im·par'tial·ly adv.

[Edited at 2006-06-26 05:43]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you like to be a site moderator?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »