Thread poster: Irene N
Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 07:48
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 5, 2006

I was trying to suggest a poll but found out that fields for answer options are extremely limited. I find it very hard to suggest a potentially interesting poll without being able to ask somewhat meaningful questions. I don't know if I may do it here but this is my try:

How do you regard a combination of interpretation and translation skills?

1. One is incomplete without the other

2. Helpful but not a must

3. I'd love to be an interpreter but c
... See more
I was trying to suggest a poll but found out that fields for answer options are extremely limited. I find it very hard to suggest a potentially interesting poll without being able to ask somewhat meaningful questions. I don't know if I may do it here but this is my try:

How do you regard a combination of interpretation and translation skills?

1. One is incomplete without the other

2. Helpful but not a must

3. I'd love to be an interpreter but crowd scares me to death

4. Interpretation involves too much logistics outside of my comfy office

5. Afraid to lose clients without checking email every hour

6. Simply not interested in interpretation

7. Stupid question - two different worlds

Regards
Irene
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
on 7 Jul 5, 2006

You put: 7. Stupid question - two different worlds

It can hardly be two different worlds as a professional [translators'] education goes two-folded from the very beginning; interpreting skills (techniques) is indispensable part of the process of becoming a translator.
Even military training included studying a [criss-]cross interrogation techniques of pow) a vivid example of consecutive interpreting...
See more
You put: 7. Stupid question - two different worlds

It can hardly be two different worlds as a professional [translators'] education goes two-folded from the very beginning; interpreting skills (techniques) is indispensable part of the process of becoming a translator.
Even military training included studying a [criss-]cross interrogation techniques of pow) a vivid example of consecutive interpreting

[Edited at 2006-07-05 17:20]

[Edited at 2006-07-05 17:21]
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
#7 - it's not about being right:-) Jul 5, 2006

It's about what people think.

EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
English to French
+ ...
Helpful but not a must Jul 5, 2006

Helpful but not a must. Interpreting is definitely my favourite thing! The more I do it, the more I get "addicted" to it!

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:48

I prefer translation, where I have the time to think and revise before giving a "final answer"; a luxury that does not exist in interpretation.

I have also come to think that interpreters have a special "chip" that I might lack, as I find it extremely difficult to process the information in one language and "spit it out" in another language almost immediately. It might just be a question of practice, but I very much respect this ability of interpreters.

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:48
Italian to English
+ ...
Skills v. job Jul 5, 2006

Great topic, Irene.
I'm not sure where I fit in, though. I think the thing that confuses me is whether you're talking skills or jobs. Do you mean "how do interpreting and translating work together" or "how do interpreting and translating skills work together or not work together"? You talk about "interpretation and translation skills" but then go on to talk about more practical aspects - that interpreting takes you out of your office, crowds, etc. - surely you can have interpretation skill
... See more
Great topic, Irene.
I'm not sure where I fit in, though. I think the thing that confuses me is whether you're talking skills or jobs. Do you mean "how do interpreting and translating work together" or "how do interpreting and translating skills work together or not work together"? You talk about "interpretation and translation skills" but then go on to talk about more practical aspects - that interpreting takes you out of your office, crowds, etc. - surely you can have interpretation skills without interpreting? Does that make sense?

Looking at the question in the practical sense I think I'd go for 7 - sorry, Vladimir! Answer 2 was a possible, and 6 got a look in but was discarded because I am interested in interpreting, I just don't do it. So yes, number 7. Two different worlds in the simplest possible sense. I translate and I don't interpret.

Of course, if you go down the whole "meaning of interpretation", "interpreting the text in translation", etc. route then yes, you do "interpret" when you translate, the two skills are linked, etc.

Best,
Amy

[Edited at 2006-07-05 17:50]
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
two aspects of one world Jul 5, 2006

I meant, that it is good to learn (about) both and then switch to smth you prefer the most. I prefer translation too.

(but I consider translation and interpreting to be two aspects of one world).

Amy Williams wrote:
So yes, number 7. Two different worlds in the simplest possible sense. I translate and I don't interpret.

[Edited at 2006-07-05 17:50]

[Edited at 2006-07-05 18:15]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Hard to do with a poll Jul 5, 2006

Polls are good for more mechanical things, but perhaps not so good for the issue you are presenting.

I have always done both, and I find it to be a winning combination.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...

Some people are terrific interpreters but should never try translation, others are great translators but should steer clear of interpreting. However, I find that the two of them do complete each other. By doing both, you learn in one field something you can use in the other - in time, of course

What I'd like to know is, is it possible to start out translating and then switch over to interpreting? I mean, can transla
... See more
Some people are terrific interpreters but should never try translation, others are great translators but should steer clear of interpreting. However, I find that the two of them do complete each other. By doing both, you learn in one field something you can use in the other - in time, of course

What I'd like to know is, is it possible to start out translating and then switch over to interpreting? I mean, can translation alone prepare a person to become an interpreter? Of course, the person would have to have the talent for interpreting to begin with, but provided they do, can they, without "learning" to interpret, become interpreters after sizeable experience in translation?

On another note, yes, I too think they are two completely different worlds. But they do call upon the help of pretty much the same brain cells and use pretty much the same logic. The mechanics are completely different, the environment doesn't even compare and of course, one uses computers much more than the other (computer skills are irrelevant in one of the two cases), but overall, a linguist is a linguist is a linguist.

[Edited at 2006-07-05 19:17]
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I moved this topic Jul 5, 2006

Just to notify, I moved this topic to the "Poll discussion" forum (instead of "Forums").

Claudia

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:48
German to French
+ ...
6 Jul 25, 2006

Simply not interested

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggesting a poll

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »