Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Contest of the week: García Márquez vs Hermann Hesse. Whose works do you like best?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Simon Bruni
Simon Bruni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:34
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
awareness of the planet? Jul 7, 2006

Dusica Cook wrote:

well, they are both a part of general education, awareness of the planet and its heritage... this has nothing to do with where one comes from... technical or no technical translator - they are classics!

to me, not having read these two (along with a large number of others) is the same as not knowing where is iraq or finland or that SSSR no longer exists...

At first I thought you were simply saying that translators should be widely read (which is reasonable given that we work with written language), but I see that it runs deeper than that, almost into scholarly snobbery.

Classic works of literature are one (very powerful) art-form but there are many others. In the social history of humankind (our heritage, as you put it) novels pale into insignificance when compared to music, visual art, poetic verse and the oral story-telling tradition.

All I am saying is, I think it is a mistake to associate someone's level of culture with their personal tally of classic novels read.

P.S. What about Asterix vs. Tintin?

jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Local time: 23:34
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
monkey or donkey? Jul 7, 2006

now, what's the story here, folks? this really is a bit ridicolous...

on the other side, it's quitte funny, so I'd like to suggest next few topics for the following two weeks - all of them asking the same question, just the options should change every two days.

so:

what do you like better?

monday: fish or chips
tuesday: ham or egg
wednesday: blue or red
thursday: two or three
friday:
... See more
now, what's the story here, folks? this really is a bit ridicolous...

on the other side, it's quitte funny, so I'd like to suggest next few topics for the following two weeks - all of them asking the same question, just the options should change every two days.

so:

what do you like better?

monday: fish or chips
tuesday: ham or egg
wednesday: blue or red
thursday: two or three
friday: hen or men
sathurday: sit or stand
sunday: paper or scissors

now, seriousely, come on!

---------------------------------

And - by the way:

Dusica wrote:

"well, they are both a part of general education, awareness of the planet and its heritage..."

??!?!? come on, Dusica, calm down!
I remember starting to read a book by Hesse once, few pages later got bored to the bone by that blah-blah and put the thing away never to take it back in my hands again. "...awareness of the planet and its heritage" - oh, dear!

I mean, if you like them two lads, that's fine, no bothers. But leave that thing with "disgrace to the profession!" - I'm sure an extremely well read lady like you will agree there's no need for that, won't she?
Collapse

nnaemeka Odimegwu
nnaemeka Odimegwu
Nigeria
French to English
+ ...
heard a lot about them Jul 7, 2006

is hesse the guy who wrote: der rat or something like that and won the laureate in 2003? i must have read him if yes, but i think goethe is the only german i've read and dropped. too thick.
as for garcia, heard a lot about him and wish i'd lay my hands on one of his books.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:34
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The purpose of the poll Jul 7, 2006

Please keep the exchanges on the issues, not on the posters.

This poll is an experiment aimed at bringing forward two authors and what they evoque in our users, and what they feel when asked to opt between two masters.

I intentionally left out the "both of them" option, as it would provided an easy solution, taking away the challenge.

Regards,
Enrique

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
standard N/A poll option? Jul 7, 2006

Enrique wrote:
I intentionally left out the "both of them" option, as it would provided an easy solution, taking away the challenge.

Regards,
Enrique

I can see the point in your decision, it's just that there was no proper option for the people who could not reply to the poll in the way you expected. I guess a N/A option would be sensible for next time.

I was actually wondering if this shouldn't be a standard poll option, perhaps put there automatically for each poll question, to make the replies more valid.

[Módosítva: 2006-07-07 16:52]

Esbed Cavazos
Esbed Cavazos  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hesse Jul 7, 2006

I think both are good authors. I've read several books of the two of them and in my opinion there are good, splendid things in Garcia Marquez ("La increíble y triste historia...", almost the entire book, and "100 años de soledad", from beginning to end, "El amor en los tiempos del cólera", a masterpiece), but he has other works that are not so good (like most of the short stories in "Los funerales de la Mamá Grande" or "El Coronel no tiene quien le escriba" that no matter what critics say, ... See more
I think both are good authors. I've read several books of the two of them and in my opinion there are good, splendid things in Garcia Marquez ("La increíble y triste historia...", almost the entire book, and "100 años de soledad", from beginning to end, "El amor en los tiempos del cólera", a masterpiece), but he has other works that are not so good (like most of the short stories in "Los funerales de la Mamá Grande" or "El Coronel no tiene quien le escriba" that no matter what critics say, I really don't find extraordinary). And Herman Hesse... only the translators of Editores Mexicanos Unidos (the worst mexican editing house) and its equals in other countries, can achieve that a reader, a reader fond of literature, judge Hesse a bad writer... afortunately there are excelent translations to spanish of his works, "Narciso y Goldmundo", "Demian", "El lobo estepario" "Siddartha"... They got me in the denseness of his characters and the way Hesse masterly goes deep in their souls...
However, like the subjective matter it is, it always depends in the preferences and character of the reader. Garcia Marquez can be very very pleasant, and Hesse very very dense...
I anwered Hesse because I think he's a master writing, and Garcia Marquez is very very good but I prefer his master, Faulkner.
(sorry if anything sounds weird, i'm not used to write in english).
Collapse

Denise DeVries
Denise DeVries  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Both - and in their original languages Jul 7, 2006

Caryl Swift wrote:

No possible option here for me - I've read both, enjoy, admire and rate both equally.

Diana Cossato (X)
Diana Cossato (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
asterix vs tintin Jul 7, 2006

Simon Bruni wrote:

oh no! I coulnd't choose!

Haven't read either author btw... :$

Ya CISSE
Ya CISSE  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Stranhe concept of "general education, awareness of the planet and its heritage ..." Jul 7, 2006

Simon Bruni wrote:

Dusica Cook wrote:

well, they are both a part of general education, awareness of the planet and its heritage... this has nothing to do with where one comes from... technical or no technical translator - they are classics!

to me, not having read these two (along with a large number of others) is the same as not knowing where is iraq or finland or that SSSR no longer exists...

At first I thought you were simply saying that translators should be widely read (which is reasonable given that we work with written language), but I see that it runs deeper than that, almost into scholarly snobbery.

Classic works of literature are one (very powerful) art-form but there are many others. In the social history of humankind (our heritage, as you put it) novels pale into insignificance when compared to music, visual art, poetic verse and the oral story-telling tradition.

All I am saying is, I think it is a mistake to associate someone's level of culture with their personal tally of classic novels read.

I totally agree with Simon's point of view and I would like to add that IMO the "disgrace" for a translator would be to think that his/her education, culture, way of life, ideas ... are universal and should apply to everyone.

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
CONTEST of the week? Jul 7, 2006

So it's a CONTEST and not a survey?? And the winner gets... what?
Why don't we go all out and include Umberto Eco and William Faulkner (for starters)?
There have been some pretty silly surveys in the past, but this one takes the cake in my book.
Catherine
PS: Can we vote on the Wizard of Oz vs. Aslan the Lion?

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Are we in business or are we literary critics? Jul 7, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

For Spanish native speakers, García Marquez has an advantage over Hesse: he writes in our language. Hesse depends on the translator.

That says it all. And of course, it is a provincial view, from which we are not exempt.

I agree with the statements that have been made along the lines of "do you prefer pizza to sushi"?

In my eyes, Henry's statement stands out: "Hesse depends on the translator." This must surely remind us that we are in business, like it or not.

Surely a writer that 'depends on the translator' should be the winner. Every time.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Contest of the week: García Márquez vs Hermann Hesse. Whose works do you like best?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »