Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: What percentage of translation tests have you have completed have actually resulted in a paid job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
One test, regular jobs Sep 29, 2006

The day after I got my translation degree, I contacted an agency known for looking for new translators.

I sent them my resumé (NO work experience at that point) and within two days they sent me three paragraphs of 200-250 words each, telling me to to pick 1 of them and mail the translation back in 24 hours' time.

Three days later they sent me my translation back with a detailed correction (style, terminology, grammar, the works!) and told me I had passed.

... See more
The day after I got my translation degree, I contacted an agency known for looking for new translators.

I sent them my resumé (NO work experience at that point) and within two days they sent me three paragraphs of 200-250 words each, telling me to to pick 1 of them and mail the translation back in 24 hours' time.

Three days later they sent me my translation back with a detailed correction (style, terminology, grammar, the works!) and told me I had passed.

I began receiving jobs of an average length of 300 words, and a couple of months later they started sending me an average of 7,000-8,000 words per week.

Apparently, I was very lucky.

Nowadays, I steer clear from suspicious-looking or unnecesary translation tests, specially given that I am busier than back then, and only accept those posted at Proz (job board only), as they are clearly not part of jigsaw translations, as someone put it.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What percentage of translation tests have you have completed have actually resulted in a paid job?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »