Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >
Poll: Would you agree with lowering the weekly limits of KudoZ questions to 45/15 for member/non-members?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 28, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you agree with lowering the weekly limits of KudoZ questions to 45/15 for member/non-members?".

This poll was originally submitted by Enrique

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you agree with lowering the weekly limits of KudoZ questions to 45/15 for member/non-members?".

This poll was originally submitted by Enrique

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:21
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Why this poll? Jul 28, 2006

When we created weekly limit to the amount of KudoZ questions that can be asked (on top of the daily ones), we (staff) decided to select initial values of 60 for members and 20 for non-members, to be reviewed after the system was in use for some time.

We think now that these weekly limits could be lowered to 45 for members and 15 for non-members (from 4 days to 3 days at the top of the daily limits).

Before deciding for or against this modification we would like to lear
... See more
When we created weekly limit to the amount of KudoZ questions that can be asked (on top of the daily ones), we (staff) decided to select initial values of 60 for members and 20 for non-members, to be reviewed after the system was in use for some time.

We think now that these weekly limits could be lowered to 45 for members and 15 for non-members (from 4 days to 3 days at the top of the daily limits).

Before deciding for or against this modification we would like to learn what our community feels about it.

Please note that we are concentrating only on two alternatives, the current 60/20 and the lower 45/15 one.

Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:21
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, and stricter Jul 28, 2006

I voted `yes', but I think the limits should be even stricter, like no more than 5/3 per day, 20/10 per week, 50/30 per month or so - or, even better, depending on the number of points-earned KudoZ answers given.

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Against Jul 28, 2006

Enrique wrote:

Before deciding for or against this modification we would like to learn what our community feels about it.

Enrique Cavalitto

I had already been against the original limit.

I may need to ask them or I may not, but I want to know that I have the possibility.

Aurora

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Thanks! Jul 28, 2006

Kirill Semenov wrote:

I voted `yes', but I think the limits should be even stricter, like no more than 5/3 per day, 20/10 per week, 50/30 per month or so - or, even better, depending on the number of points-earned KudoZ answers given.

Thanks Kirill,

We are not considering other posibilites beyond the two indicated in the poll.

Regards,
Enrique

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:21
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, I understand, but... Jul 28, 2006

Enrique wrote:
...no more than 5/3 per day, 20/10 per week, 50/30 per month or so - or, even better, depending on the number of points-earned KudoZ answers given.

[/quote]

Dear Enrique, yes, I know, but I tried to explain the idea that X questions per day is not 7*X per week or 30*X per month.

I've seen cases when people have an urgent job and they really need to ask 5 or even more question a day to meet their deadline. Myself, I have jobs sometimes when asking questions at KudoZ I confessed that I didn't have any time to google a phrase out thoroughly, because of my strict deadline, so I asked for help from my fellow colleagues to save my time. But it cannot last long, that's why the decrease with respect of questions per week or per month.

Franco Rigoni
Franco Rigoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
I disagree Jul 28, 2006

I think the present limit is ok. I sometimes have urgent jobs that need to be completed in just a few hours so I do not have enough time to check everything in google and i just use kudoz. Why would users want a reduction?

Ma. Fernanda Blesa
Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
60/20 Jul 28, 2006

Kirill Semenov wrote:
or, even better, depending on the number of points-earned KudoZ answers given.

I absolutely do not agree with this, because students and people who are just starting to work as translators would be forced to answer questions in order to be able to ask their own questions. I think the result of this would be a decrease in the quality of the answers, not because these people are not good, but simply because they still lack the experience.

As for the 45/15 or 60/20 limits, I fully agree with Aurora, Proz best feature, for me at least, is knowing that if I need to ask a question I can do so and get a really fast answer.

If at some point other options are considered, my vote would be for some limit (maybe higher than 20) for non members and no limit for members.

Fernanda.

Ian M-H (X)
Ian M-H (X)
United States
Local time: 18:21
German to English
+ ...
Fine, but... Jul 28, 2006

Enrique wrote:

Fine, but there's surely no problem with explaining why one has voted in a particular way? In this case, I too would have preferred a stricter limit and so I also voted for the better of two - in my opinion - less than perfect options.

It's good to see that mods and staff are actively working on these questions, even if we don't all agree on all the details. Keep up the good work - improving KudoZ, as we've seen on other recent threads, is a major concern for many of us.

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:21
English to Swedish
+ ...
Remove the limits! Jul 28, 2006

The survey is meaningless since no alternative REMOVE THE LIMITS is provided.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
agree Jul 28, 2006

...and like a few others, I would probably make the limits even stricter if that were an option. I can't imagine even asking 45 questions in a month, let alone a week (I haven't even asked that many in a whole year). Professional translators should know their limits, and taking on a job that would require them to ask that many questions in a week means that they are over their heads, either because of biting off more than they can chew or lack of familiarity with the subject. I think the whole p... See more
...and like a few others, I would probably make the limits even stricter if that were an option. I can't imagine even asking 45 questions in a month, let alone a week (I haven't even asked that many in a whole year). Professional translators should know their limits, and taking on a job that would require them to ask that many questions in a week means that they are over their heads, either because of biting off more than they can chew or lack of familiarity with the subject. I think the whole philosophy of using Kudoz as a crutch rather than a last resort is one of the reasons why so many questions are posted that could easily be resolved with a little investigation (or even by simply looking in a dictionary); I see plenty of examples every day.Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Should be lowered Jul 28, 2006

As things are now, platinum members are more or less invited to ask more than THREE THOUSAND questions per year (60 x 52). That should be enough for a professional translator's lifetime!

Even if you're not considering this option, I wanted to mention it.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
In other words... Jul 28, 2006

you use your collegues to do the job for you, right?

Magda

kero wrote:

I think the present limit is ok. I sometimes have urgent jobs that need to be completed in just a few hours so I do not have enough time to check everything in google and i just use kudoz. Why would users want a reduction?

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Options not included Jul 28, 2006

Sven Petersson wrote:

The survey is meaningless since no alternative REMOVE THE LIMITS is provided.

This option was not included because the corresponding option is not being considered.

Enrique

Dees
Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:21
English to French
+ ...
Google search Jul 28, 2006

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

you use your collegues to do the job for you, right?

Magda

kero wrote:

That is what I thought too after reading your post, Kero.

I came across this Google service the other day:
http://answers.google.com/answers/

With all due respect, if you need someone to help you with Internet search or checking things on Google, then that would be a great solution.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you agree with lowering the weekly limits of KudoZ questions to 45/15 for member/non-members?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »