Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8]
Poll: Would you agree with lowering the weekly limits of KudoZ questions to 45/15 for member/non-members?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why is Proz pushing this topic? Jul 31, 2006

I would be interested to know what Proz has to gain by limiting/reducing the number of questions...
It cannot be to "protect" those who are offended by the questions because we all have the ability to stop or filter Kudoz questions.
And why does this review debate only the maintenance or reduction of the current number of questions permitted, rather than an increase or removal of them?
Please could Enrique, the Proz staff member who started this topic, enlighten us?
Th
... See more
I would be interested to know what Proz has to gain by limiting/reducing the number of questions...
It cannot be to "protect" those who are offended by the questions because we all have the ability to stop or filter Kudoz questions.
And why does this review debate only the maintenance or reduction of the current number of questions permitted, rather than an increase or removal of them?
Please could Enrique, the Proz staff member who started this topic, enlighten us?
Thanks
Collapse

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Good point! Jul 31, 2006

texjax wrote:

Would you agree with lowering the weekly limits of KudoZ questions to 45/15 for member/non-members?

We think now that these weekly limits could be lowered to 45 for members and 15 for non-members (from 4 days to 3 days at the top of the daily limits).

Can somebody please explain WHY?

Will the site provide a refund to the members who decided to pay the full membership fee because of features such as KudoZ and the possibility to ask 60 questions a week?

[Edited at 2006-07-31 02:20]

Why is this site all of a sudden imposing (or trying to) more and more limits?

There are people who like to answer. There are people who use kudoz as a first/middle/last resort. It doesn't matter! LET PEOPLE BE! PLEASE! I'm starting to be a little bit fed up with these kind of things like limits, new imposed/strict features.

I like proz.com very much for all it is and that's why I became a member a while ago, but I'm considering not to renew my membership next year because this site has been changing, and it's nice when it does in some points.

I am starting to feel unconfortable with these issues.

I have asked about 500 questions since I signed in proz.com and answered about a fifth of it. You just can't assume that people who don't answer regularly don't care to provide the same help as others give him/her when answering to their kukoz. I often don't answer because a question has already been quite well answered or because I just don't know.

But when I see an unanswered question (it happens quite a lot in the french-portuguese-french pairs) I do my best to do reasearch and answer the question... and not because of points, but because I like to help as others help me.

So, what's the point of restricting it further? Why this???

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:06
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Some answers Jul 31, 2006

texjax wrote:

Would you agree with lowering the weekly limits of KudoZ questions to 45/15 for member/non-members?

We think now that these weekly limits could be lowered to 45 for members and 15 for non-members (from 4 days to 3 days at the top of the daily limits).

comunican wrote:

Thanks

As you may know if you read our forums, especially the ones dedicated to KudoZ, there is a vocal segment of site users who demands lowering the limits to prevent what they perceive as abuse from users who ask "too many questions".

We evaluated the possibility of lowering the weekly limits from 60/20 to 45/15, as we perceived that this could be a step in the direction requested by these users while still allowing room for the needs of most askers.

At this preliminary evaluation point we found it interesting to know what our users at large thought about this particular decision (keeping the current weekly limits or lowering to 45/15).

Since this thread is associated with the poll, I did my best to keep it focused on the posted topic (as required by our forums rule 4).

Regards,
Enrique

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
so why don't they change their settings? Jul 31, 2006

Enrique wrote:

As you may know if you read our forums, especially the ones dedicated to KudoZ, there is a vocal segment of site users who demands lowering the limits to prevent what they perceive as abuse from users who ask "too many questions".

Enrique

Hi Enrique, thanks for your reply. But I have to say I'm perplexed at what you say because, as I have said, we have the ability to "switch off" Kudoz questions. When I am too busy to answer questions, I just change my Kudoz settings - it's easy! I have to admit that most of the time I do have it switched off and I know that I am in "debt" to those good people who consistently give good answers... (nb I feel that debt is to the answerers, not to Proz...).

If Proz really wanted to improve the situation of those who feel that people are "abusing" the community, why not provide them further control - for example, by requesting that questions from certain askers do not get sent to them? Or they could eliminate questions from non-Platinum members. Another option would be to remind persistent posters of the need for self-regulation.

You talk of a "vocal segment" in the forums, but surely the best measure is how much the Kudoz system is used in terms of number of questions and numbers of answerers. I don't know the numbers, but I am constantly impressed by how many people will take the trouble to post an "agree" to someone's answer when only the chosen answerer will get the Kudoz points!

It is obvious that there are plenty of talented people with much goodwill and generosity out there, and Proz is right to want to limit people taking advantage of that goodwill and generosity. But choking those translators who are struggling to build their career seems mean-spirited and unnecessary to me. I think Proz has the creative ability to come up with a better solution than simple restrictions.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Keeping the current limits Jul 31, 2006

Thanks everybody for your feedback and your participation in the poll. We will not modify this limit for now.

Regards,
Enrique

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
For a more professional Kudoz environment Jul 31, 2006

Reserve the possibility of asking questions to members only (no limit) and take away the points. The KOG will improve and the atmosphere also...

Giovanni

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Focus Jul 31, 2006

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Reserve the possibility of asking questions to members only (no limit) and take away the points. The KOG will improve and the atmosphere also...

Giovanni

You can ask now to members only (current limits) and not-for-points, but this is beyond the scope of this thread.

Enrique

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
AGREE!! Jul 31, 2006

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:

texjax wrote:

Will the site provide a refund to the members who decided to pay the full membership fee because of features such as KudoZ and the possibility to ask 60 questions a week?

[Edited at 2006-07-31 02:20]

Why is this site all of a sudden imposing (or trying to) more and more limits?

There are people who like to answer. There are people who use kudoz as a first/middle/last resort. It doesn't matter! LET PEOPLE BE! PLEASE! I'm starting to be a little bit fed up with these kind of things like limits, new imposed/strict features.

I like proz.com very much for all it is and that's why I became a member a while ago, but I'm considering not to renew my membership next year because this site has been changing, and it's nice when it does in some points.

I am starting to feel unconfortable with these issues.

I have asked about 500 questions since I signed in proz.com and answered about a fifth of it. You just can't assume that people who don't answer regularly don't care to provide the same help as others give him/her when answering to their kukoz. I often don't answer because a question has already been quite well answered or because I just don't know.

But when I see an unanswered question (it happens quite a lot in the french-portuguese-french pairs) I do my best to do reasearch and answer the question... and not because of points, but because I like to help as others help me.

So, what's the point of restricting it further? Why this???

Alright, I see we finally reached THE POINT.

Just as in every democratic community, there will always be different opinions, tastes, trends, hues, and that which in Spanish we call "ondas."

Looking at this issue from an open-minded perspective, I can see that there is more to it than our eyes can see, and therefore we cannot expect to reach consensus.

My vote is AGAINST placing ANY limits to questions (as each member can now choose to filter, flag, totally ignore, or sporadically visit the Kudoz list). This, supported by the clear-cut Kudoz Rules of Etiquette, would favor the building of a good glossary, which is one of the most valuable features of this site.

I love you, mis queridos amigos kudiozos, and I love meeting, learning from, and helping those of you who enjoy translating as much as I do.

Democratically yours,

mew

[Edited at 2006-07-31 18:45]

[Edited at 2006-07-31 18:48]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you agree with lowering the weekly limits of KudoZ questions to 45/15 for member/non-members?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »