Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What percentage of your work comes from other countries?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 7, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What percentage of your work comes from other countries?".

This poll was originally submitted by Paul Appleyard

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What percentage of your work comes from other countries?".

This poll was originally submitted by Paul Appleyard

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:00
French to English
+ ...
interesting question Aug 7, 2006

I find that British agencies are more likely to agree to my rates than agencies abroad, generally speaking. I am sometimes approached by agencies in the US, and with the strength of the pound against the dollar, they generally can't afford me at the moment (though there are exceptions). I am sure that there are agencies in France, Belgium etc who will pay my rates, but I haven't found very many of them yet (again, there are honourable exceptions). I have not deliberately sought to keep my busine... See more
I find that British agencies are more likely to agree to my rates than agencies abroad, generally speaking. I am sometimes approached by agencies in the US, and with the strength of the pound against the dollar, they generally can't afford me at the moment (though there are exceptions). I am sure that there are agencies in France, Belgium etc who will pay my rates, but I haven't found very many of them yet (again, there are honourable exceptions). I have not deliberately sought to keep my business predominantly UK-based, but that is how things are going at the moment.

(I voted 0-25%, by the way).

[Edited at 2006-08-07 14:16]
Collapse

Ennio Delle Piane
Ennio Delle Piane  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:00
English to Italian
+ ...
volumes or income? Aug 7, 2006

Are we talking about volumes or about income? In my case, although only about 15% of the projects come from abroad, they account for nearly 50% of my income, due to larger projects and higher rates.

Marija Stojanovich
Marija Stojanovich  Identity Verified
Serbia
Serbian to English
+ ...
Actually, 100% Aug 7, 2006

As most local agencies aren't prepared to pay my rates (and I'm equally unprepared to lower them), 100% of my work comes from other countries - volume AND income wise.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:00
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
100%, too Aug 7, 2006

The local rates are too low (USD 0.01-0.02), so I forgot about the local translation market several years ago.

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
90& from other countries Aug 7, 2006

And I apply international rates, needless to say.

Great poll!

Au

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
98+% income from abroad Aug 7, 2006

for the same reasons as colleagues above (a "good" rate to agencies would be 0.05 euros here...).
The remaining 1+% comes from the local agency who "launched" me in the business 7 years ago and gave me confidence that I could earn a living off it.

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
All my clients... Aug 7, 2006

are from abroad, except for one Spanish customer who pays top rates, even higher than my foreign customers.

P.
www.pbayle.com/blogs-english

yam2u
yam2u  Identity Verified
United States
English to Malay
+ ...
On the flip side... Aug 7, 2006

Like Angela, I voted 0-25%. Unlike Angela, it was British and European agencies who used to flinch at my rates. They seem more receptive now with the weaker dollar.

-may-

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:00
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I like this poll Aug 7, 2006

200% come from abroad.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I couldn't understand the question ... Aug 7, 2006

but I answered anyway (26%-50%). Roughly, 100% of the authors are in other counties, but only 15% of my translation income comes from abroad (since I'm paid by universities and NGOs here in the US).

Now, why I picked the 26%-50% button remains a mystery ... polls are so unreliable (but fun). The ProZ poll is the first thing I look at every morning!

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 00:00
English to Russian
+ ...
0% Aug 7, 2006

Russian rates would send me under the bridge in 3 months the latest. I do interpretation assignments abroad but all my clients are US-based.

avantix
avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
Interesting answer Aug 7, 2006

Angela Dickson wrote:

I find that British agencies are more likely to agree to my rates than agencies abroad, generally speaking. I am sometimes approached by agencies in the US, and with the strength of the pound against the dollar, they generally can't afford me at the moment (though there are exceptions).

I have no problems with US-based agencies, despite the strength of the euro against the dollar.

I am sure that there are agencies in France, Belgium etc who will pay my rates, but I haven't found very many of them yet (again, there are honourable exceptions).

[Edited at 2006-08-07 14:16]

Within Europe, apart from the Netherlands, I get most jobs from the Scandinavian countries, Germany,and Austria. The UK is much more difficult (in terms of rate acceptance).
France and Belgium accept approx. 20% of my offers; more to the south and east it's almost impossible to get my rates accepted (1 or 2 jobs a year from there). My total of jobs from abroad lies between 60-70% (to Ennio: income, not volume)

[Edited at 2006-08-07 22:57]

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 01:00
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
All jobs come from far away Aug 7, 2006

The local agency rate in Chile is roughly half of the lowest international rate I would accept. To date, the U.S., Canada, Spain and the U.K. are the countries with the best-paying agencies.

Reed

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 15:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
99% from the west Aug 8, 2006

Aside from one Chinese agency who is happy to pay a decent rate for quality work, the rest of our work comes from the US, Canada, Europe and Australia.

Some western agencies still quibble that because we live in China that we should be happy to accept rates that match the Chinese economy. I say geography is irrelevant and if you want quality you have to be prepared to pay for quality.

Besides, I'm western and I still have western credit card bills to pay off:)
... See more
Aside from one Chinese agency who is happy to pay a decent rate for quality work, the rest of our work comes from the US, Canada, Europe and Australia.

Some western agencies still quibble that because we live in China that we should be happy to accept rates that match the Chinese economy. I say geography is irrelevant and if you want quality you have to be prepared to pay for quality.

Besides, I'm western and I still have western credit card bills to pay off:)

Best wishes to all and good luck with your businesses.
Mark
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What percentage of your work comes from other countries?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »