Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Which would you consider the most user-friendly?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 19, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which would you consider the most user-friendly?".

This poll was originally submitted by Dina Abdo

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more informatio
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which would you consider the most user-friendly?".

This poll was originally submitted by Dina Abdo

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:16
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
User-Friendly Trados??? Aug 19, 2006

Sounds like a nice oxymoron to me. I just hope so many votes are from people who have never seen anything better like DVX or SDLX. I know someone will tell me that I don't like dogs just because I don't know how to cook them properly, but, anyway, whenever I have a choice I use DVX. At least when it crashes - and it does sometimes, too - I don't worry because everything is saved. Right now I'm doing a large project with TagEditor, and it's a real headache!

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 02:16
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Across Aug 19, 2006

I find Across most convenient to use

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 18:16
German to English
+ ...
Who can answer this question? Aug 19, 2006

Has anyone actually had experience with all these programs? If not, what was the point of the question?

Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
IanW - quite Aug 19, 2006

IanW, you took the words right out of my mouth

Best regards,
Saskia

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:46
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Well... Aug 19, 2006

... I refrained from making a choice because I have used only Trados, Wordfast and SDLX. Of these Trados and Wordfast have a similar interface, but I have found Trados more robust.

I have used SDLX only when the client has specified it as a must.

I have used Trados most, so I find it most comfortable, which does not mean that it is the best, just that it is more familiar to me.

These softwares take a while to get the real hang of, and since they all have
... See more
... I refrained from making a choice because I have used only Trados, Wordfast and SDLX. Of these Trados and Wordfast have a similar interface, but I have found Trados more robust.

I have used SDLX only when the client has specified it as a must.

I have used Trados most, so I find it most comfortable, which does not mean that it is the best, just that it is more familiar to me.

These softwares take a while to get the real hang of, and since they all have parallel capabilities, most translators will end up using just one of them, so most translators would not be in a position to make an informed choice in this matter, which means this is an impractical poll.

[Edited at 2006-08-19 17:50]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:16
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Separate editor v. interface to Word Aug 19, 2006

It seems to me that the products voted as the most user friendly are those that offer to the translators the possibility of working from within the habitual word processor (Trados and WF in this poll), whilst those having a separate editing environment are considered somewhat less user friendly.

Having used both types, I must admit that I prefer to work within Word, but the others are more stable and robust as they do not have to deal with the intricacies and trappings of an interf
... See more
It seems to me that the products voted as the most user friendly are those that offer to the translators the possibility of working from within the habitual word processor (Trados and WF in this poll), whilst those having a separate editing environment are considered somewhat less user friendly.

Having used both types, I must admit that I prefer to work within Word, but the others are more stable and robust as they do not have to deal with the intricacies and trappings of an interface to Word.

DejaVu, SDLX and others (including TagEditor) have their own editor and tend to detach further the translator from the documents' layout. I personally find a bit boring to be restricted by a rigid editor and not be able to use the flexibility offered by Word.

My vote goes to "separate editor" for stability and to "within Word" for user friendliness.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-08-19 20:01]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
CAT tools Aug 19, 2006

IanW wrote:

Has anyone actually had experience with all these programs?

Exactly. Also, the "SDL Trados" option is quite confusing, since both Trados and SDLX options are already there.

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Exactly! Aug 19, 2006

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

Having used both types, I must admit that I prefer to work within Word, but the others are more stable and robust as they do not have to deal with the intricacies and trappings of an interface to Word.

DejaVu, SDLX and others (including TagEditor) have their own editor and tend to detach further the translator from the documents' layout. I personally find a bit boring to be restricted by a rigid editor and not be able to use the flexibility offered by Word.

I fully agree with Gianfranco. I regularly use Trados Workbench and TagEditor and would always choose WB over TagEditor which I don't like at all! Same applies to SDLX which I have tried in the past.

Trados WB and Word gets my vote!

Minna

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 12:16
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Yes, I have Aug 19, 2006

IanW wrote:

Has anyone actually had experience with all these programs? If not, what was the point of the question?

Since they all come with free trials, I tried them all out. I like SDLX because the font is nice and big. It is somewhat similar to Deja Vu, but without those blasted codes that you have to move around.

Wordfast is good too, but it doesn't handle as many file types, and you have to format text as well as translate it.

The other good thing is that a basic version of SDLX is fairly inexpensive and you don't have to install a dongle.

Reed

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 12:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Compatible with WordPerfect? Aug 19, 2006

Years ago (1999, to be exact) I tried out Deja Vu and one or two other CAT tools at an ATA conference. If I recall correctly, DV was the only one that could be used with WordPerfect. Is that still the case?

Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
Actually ... Aug 19, 2006

IanW wrote:

I had several forum posts discussing tools infront of me before posting the poll. It's just that the whole matter sounds confusing to me ... I tried wordfast and Trados, and I found none user-friendly! Yet ... everyone has a point in this regard, but they usually get to it AFTER using one of the software for a while i.e. getting to know it by practice.

I know that none of you had full experience with ALL the ones in question, but some of you must have preferred one but not another for some reason other than the client's requirements! in my poll, I went for asking in terms of user-friendly style

Dina Abdo
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
It's not confusing at all! Aug 19, 2006

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Exactly. Also, the "SDL Trados" option is quite confusing, since both Trados and SDLX options are already there.

I was thinking ... if SDLX is there, and Trados is there, then comes the new SDL Trados ... and all of us (almost) are paying all that cash to get the later after all what we already paid for the first two ... Then why? In terms of user-friendly theme ... is it better? Did it worth it?

Any software is usually improved by getting easier to use in the first place ... then come the other features offered. It took me a long time getting used to some of those tools mentioned in the poll, yet ... I still find them all ... well ... ABSOLUTELY NOT user-friendly!!

Including SDL Trados was my way in asking WHY

Dina Abdo
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
AHA! Aug 19, 2006

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

My vote goes to "separate editor" for stability and to "within Word" for user friendliness.

[Edited at 2006-08-19 20:01]

This is one answer for my "WHY" questions

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:16
English to Polish
Can't reply Aug 19, 2006

IanW wrote:

My first thought exactly.

I use two CAT tools not named in the poll, but won't vote for "other" as I haven't seen any of those. I can't reply to the question.

Anni

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which would you consider the most user-friendly?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »