Poll: When do you close your KudoZ questions? After...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 24, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When do you close your KudoZ questions? After...".

This poll was originally submitted by Klaus Urban

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more informat
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When do you close your KudoZ questions? After...".

This poll was originally submitted by Klaus Urban

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:23
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good answers Aug 24, 2006

I close them when I receive a good question after or before 24 hours. Usually, I wait more than 24 hours to see its potential agree rate.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:23
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I almost always wait 24 hours ... Aug 24, 2006

...unless the answer is so obvious that I'm embarrassed to have asked the question.

However, most of my questions are looking for creative solutions, and sometimes the best answers come days later, so I have found that in such cases I wait until after the second reminder, just to make sure I get as much input as possible.

Sergio Mangiarotti
Sergio Mangiarotti
Local time: 13:23
German to Italian
What is the difference between "It depends" and "N/A"...? Aug 24, 2006

After all, I think, they are all the same, beacause each needs to be explained.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
it depends Aug 24, 2006

I always wait at least 24 hours, and then try to close the question as quickly as I can after that, but sometimes it takes me a couple days to get to it. I rarely have to get a reminder.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:23
Spanish to English
Completion of project Aug 24, 2006

I prefer to close my questions after I have handed in the work so that I can choose the answer I finally decided to use (or the nearest one to it) and give everyone ample opportunity to help out if they are so inclined (which I am very grateful for). This is always after 24 hours and often many days. I get the reminders and usually ignore them if I am not yet ready to go back to that part of the project.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:23
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
24 hours is perfect Aug 24, 2006

By then, with an average of 50 incoming questions a day your question is on page 3, which is close to oblivion. Besides, it keeps the mail box clean.

Anita Myszk
Anita Myszk  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
some people never bother to close Aug 24, 2006

When you see a question asked do you check how many questions asker asked / replied / closed? I sometimes do. Quite honestly there are some translators who only ask questions, don't close them for almost a year and never answer any questions. That gives me some thinking...

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:23
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Definition of options Aug 24, 2006

Sergio Mangiarotti wrote:

What is the difference between "It depends" and "N/A"...?

After all, I think, they are all the same, beacause each needs to be explained..

"It depends" means for instance "I don't have a single criterion, some questions I close after 24 hours and others I keep open longer"

"N/A" means for instance "I never ask KudoZ questions"

Regards,
Enrique

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
... Aug 24, 2006

Although I close some questions fast enough (after 24 hours on average), I tend to agree -- particularly for the tough or doubtful ones -- that completing the project gives you a better perspective for awarding points, not to mention making a glossary entry.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When do you close your KudoZ questions? After...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »