Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What % of your invoices are paid on time?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:24
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Italy has implemented this directive into national law Sep 28, 2006

Williamson wrote:

"EU directive says 30 days".
Italy has implemented that directive pro forma, I suppose?
The penalty stipulated in that directive is the interest-rate of the EGB per day overdue + your own penalty.

but yes, it seems it is rather pro forma, unfortunately, like everything here . It happens to see, just like before, payment terms of 60, 90 days or even longer...

I think it is up to us to insist on this - our customers never won't. I personally never agree to such long payment terms (although I know it might be difficult in some cases). My conditions say clearly: payment after 30 days of invoice. And I have stated in my invoices that I will claim interests for delay for payments after 30 days which I am entitled to following the EU directive.

maryrose
maryrose  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:54
English
+ ...
payment times in Italy Sep 29, 2006

Can anyone give me the name of the EU directive, or even better, the Italian law? I am about to give one agency the flick - 120 days (yes, that one, Claire) and then you have to fight, and I am REALLY over it - and would like to be able to quote the law to them.

On the other hand I have a gorgeous direct client who pays even four-figure bills within a week or ten days at most, and an institutional client who pays smack on the 27th of each month. Other agencies are around 60 which
... See more
Can anyone give me the name of the EU directive, or even better, the Italian law? I am about to give one agency the flick - 120 days (yes, that one, Claire) and then you have to fight, and I am REALLY over it - and would like to be able to quote the law to them.

On the other hand I have a gorgeous direct client who pays even four-figure bills within a week or ten days at most, and an institutional client who pays smack on the 27th of each month. Other agencies are around 60 which I can just about live with.

A recent Australian agency paid 15 minutes later!

So overall I put 40%-60% but this will improve once I lose the 120-day agency.

And to those who don't have Italian agencies as clients and say why do we put up with it - the reason is simply they say "These are our terms, take it or leave it", so we make the choice.

Is this the only industry in which the debtor, not the creditor, dictates terms?? This was a complete jaw-dropper for me when I started getting agency work.

Cheers to all - get those bills out.

maryrose
Collapse

Sergio Mangiarotti
Sergio Mangiarotti
German to Italian
The european directive Sep 29, 2006

maryrose wrote:

Can anyone give me the name of the EU directive, or even better, the Italian law?

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/regulation/late_payments/index.htm (need to join letters "d" and "e")

http://www.giustizia.it/cassazione/leggi/dlgs231_02.html

Bye
Sergio

[Edited at 2006-09-29 06:51]

maryrose
maryrose  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:54
English
+ ...
The european directive Sep 29, 2006

Grazie mille, Sergio!

Ciao, e buon uic

maryrose

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:24
Flemish to English
+ ...
Figures, not words. Sep 29, 2006

maryrose wrote:
And to those who don't have Italian agencies as clients and say why do we put up with it - the reason is simply they say "These are our terms, take it or leave it", so we make the choice.

Is this the only industry in which the debtor, not the creditor, dictates terms?? This was a complete jaw-dropper for me when I started getting agency work.
maryrose

The problem is that there is always a nitwit out there who takes is. Agencies NEED translators. If everybody says "NO", they cannot take a percentage on our work and hence they can not exist.
And yes, because generally speaking translators are blinded by words, not by figures, they tend to accept the offer only to get sleepless nights over payment.
By the way, "that agency" wouldn't be "TI" from "M"?
Got paid after 136 days by that one. Perhaps I generalize too much, but those "adventures" and rates are the reasons why I do not want to risk working for Italian agencies again.

[Edited at 2006-09-29 09:29]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
EU Directive 2000/35 Sep 29, 2006

Here's the rub: not all countries implement it in the same way. Below are the national laws to date (the page gets updated as implementation progresses).

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/regulation/late_payments/implementation.htm

PD: for once I'm in the majority in a poll...

Catherine Salbashian
Catherine Salbashian  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
I'm no nitwit! :) Sep 29, 2006

Williamson wrote:

The problem is that there is always a nitwit out there who takes is. Agencies NEED translators. If everybody says "NO", they cannot take a percentage on our work and hence they can not exist.
And yes, because generally speaking translators are blinded by words, not by figures, they tend to accept the offer only to get sleepless nights over payment.
By the way, "that agency" wouldn't be "TI" from "M"?
Got paid after 136 days by that one. Perhaps I generalize too much, but those "adventures" and rates are the reasons why I do not want to risk working for Italian agencies again.

[Edited at 2006-09-29 09:29]

We're not all nitwits! When you're starting out and it's a large agency that offers a constant flow of work then it's hard to say no.
Down the line with more experience, you realise you could have negotiated better conditions or just walked away. Which is what I hope to do with this agency sooner or later. By the way, it's not "TI"

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Might have reached that stage (touch wood) Sep 29, 2006

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:
I have one wonderful client, who pays me at end of each month, no matter if the job was delivered beginning of that month, or just a few days earlier - he just wants to have everything paid and clear before 1st of next month.

I wish everyone clients like that

Anni

I agreed a similar system of payment with an owner of a tiny agency with reasonable turnover (14 days after a monthly invoice, presented on the last day of the month), but he was very irregular - sometimes on time, other times over 2 months late. I kept kindly reminding for months (very nice guy ) until one day I got absolutely crazy and forgot all manners ...
My last invoice was paid ON THE SAME DAY (no terms changed).
Keep fingers crossed for the next one ...

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:24
English to French
+ ...
Sad! Nov 2, 2006

Wow! Almost 9% answered 0-20%! What????

I am shocked!

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:24
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Here are the EU links Nov 15, 2006

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/regulation/late_payments/implementation.htm

Uldis

Williamson wrote:
"EU directive says 30 days".
Italy has implemented that directive pro forma, I suppose?
The penalty stipulated in that directive is the interest-rate of the EGB per day overdue + your own penalty.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What % of your invoices are paid on time?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »