Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you have your own webpage?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
M_a_r_i_n_a
M_a_r_i_n_a
Local time: 11:23
Article on translator's website Dec 5, 2006

I am also a professional webdesigner and this poll discussion gave me an idea: I will write an article about the do's and don'ts for translators who wish to have their own website... I hope this could be useful - if you have any ideas or questions on the subject, please feel free to send me a message, so I can include them in the article.

Chiara Covili
Chiara Covili  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes I have Dec 5, 2006

I have my web page, but it is not only for translator; I also wrote some things about me and my hobbies and I also linked to this page a litle forum, for translations and also for my hobbies

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 10:23
No Dec 5, 2006

I have one that is very much "Under Construction" in Googlepages... then again, I can barely remember the last time I worked on it.

When I started out, I put a lot of effort into a website only to find that I never got any business through it. I always got more work through Proz.

It does seem a bit weird though. I feel I *should* have a "proper" company webpage, but at the same time, why bother if customers are able to find me here....
See more
I have one that is very much "Under Construction" in Googlepages... then again, I can barely remember the last time I worked on it.

When I started out, I put a lot of effort into a website only to find that I never got any business through it. I always got more work through Proz.

It does seem a bit weird though. I feel I *should* have a "proper" company webpage, but at the same time, why bother if customers are able to find me here.

My 2c

Orla
Collapse

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
A ProZ profile is not enough! Dec 5, 2006

A good looking website separates the wannabes from the professionals.

Hobbies, pictures of pets and children should not be part of your professional image/profile -- unless translation is your hobby. I'm really fierce about this, 80% of my direct client base contacted me through my website. It also goes without saying that often it was the website that gave me the edge against other
... See more
A good looking website separates the wannabes from the professionals.

Hobbies, pictures of pets and children should not be part of your professional image/profile -- unless translation is your hobby. I'm really fierce about this, 80% of my direct client base contacted me through my website. It also goes without saying that often it was the website that gave me the edge against other bidders on this site.

sylvie
www.einmalich.net
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
yes, but mine is well dodgy... Dec 5, 2006

...a friend of designer/artistic bent says "hey, I'll make you a website" ... what you ganna do?
If I needed/wanted a professional one, I'm sure they'd do me a belter. If for professional reasons, i. e. soliciting work, I'd probably pay them...
and... um... everything Rebecca said (arriba)

neilmac's website can be visited via the proz profile page, *albeit* long updated and a work in progress...

Alison High
Alison High  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to English
+ ...
1 for translation only, self-designed and maintained Dec 5, 2006

Yes I have one for translation/interpreting/teaching only www.connectsl.com that I designed myself and have had online for 5+ years now.

It has provided 1.500+ chf of work for me (contacts who have made contact directly via my site) and some potential for a couple of jobs at approx 10,000 chf each, one of which is already started, awaiting updating of the original texts before it goes an
... See more
Yes I have one for translation/interpreting/teaching only www.connectsl.com that I designed myself and have had online for 5+ years now.

It has provided 1.500+ chf of work for me (contacts who have made contact directly via my site) and some potential for a couple of jobs at approx 10,000 chf each, one of which is already started, awaiting updating of the original texts before it goes any further, and the other postponed for administrative reasons (interpreting for Russians, so probably a visa problem in there somewhere).

I am currently working on 2 other websites nothing to do with work, and when done am sure to dabble in others, or maybe redo mine, it's not changed for a while.

In any case I like playing with HTML, I write my sites from code... blank page upwards, using only a text editor and browsers and the wealth of info available on the net, so all it costs me is time, and as a freelance translator that is not really a problem!
Collapse

Pavel Zalutski
Pavel Zalutski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:23
English to Russian
+ ...
So having a website doesn't really change much... Apr 6, 2007

My Russian freelance translators and I have been thinking about investing into making a website of our own. I even started a forum thread on that: http://www.proz.com/topic/70084

But from experiences of users in this thread I see that having your own website doesn't really make a major change.

For my friends and myself, it does need to be a change, and a MAJOR change, since we wa
... See more
My Russian freelance translators and I have been thinking about investing into making a website of our own. I even started a forum thread on that: http://www.proz.com/topic/70084

But from experiences of users in this thread I see that having your own website doesn't really make a major change.

For my friends and myself, it does need to be a change, and a MAJOR change, since we want to invest in design, added features and SEO, so we will want our money back!

So is there a chance we will have better luck than you precisely because we're investing into a website, as opposed to doing it ourselves with templates?

Join our discussion at http://www.proz.com/topic/70084
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have your own webpage?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »