Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: What do you like to hear while translating?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:12
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yeah! Jan 3, 2007

Deep-one wrote:

It's not completely true, but I answered 'Other'
My all-time favorite is Vivaldi's 4 Seasons. I ve been listening it since 1999. And I'm not a big fan of classic music.
Options: John Mayer, Coldplay, Diana Krall, CBRae, Massive Attack. Just a few days ago I also received a package of Puerto-Rican salsa. Most of it is not copyrighted, so there are even no mp3 tags, but it also works just fine.
But even these hardly compare to Maestro Vivaldi's masterpiece!

Yes! Vivaldi Rules!
Also, other Baroque tunes...You should try Bach´s Brandenburg Concertos or Cello Suites. Handel´s Water Music is great stuff, too.
Of course, so is Salsa.
Try Colombian Vallenatos. Those are nice.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:12
Portuguese to English
+ ...
me, too. Jan 3, 2007

Sam Berner wrote:

I find that the older I get, the more noise annoys me. Not just when translating, but in general.

I moved into the country in the end. So now my repertoire for linguistic productivity consists of:

(1) Middle Ages music, Baroque, Gregorian chants, Russian male choirs, Hildegard von Bingen, Thomas Arne

(2) The cicadas

(3) The frogs

(4) Rain hammering on the tin roof (when available)

There apparently was a study done about Baroque music and brain waves.

I also find that my concentration is best at night (8PM to 2AM) when the levels of silence are the highest.

Does anyone else find out that natural light is a distraction, and likes working in a semi dark room with the lamp focused on the keyboard? Or am I growing a bit, errrr... mouldy between the ears?

although I do sometimes listen to various other kinds of music, or even TV, I find baroque music or silence best for concentration, and, do my best work, also, from 8pm to 2am (and still get up at 6:30 to get my princess off to school and start all over again...of course, a 30minute nap at 1:30-2pm iv very re-invigorating...)

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:12
Flemish to English
+ ...
Fire water burn and others Jan 3, 2007

Les lacs du Connemara, Rénaud, Vangelis, U2, Nothing else matters, Pavarotti (and friends), a bit of mozart, meditation music and "fire water,burn" when I am getting tired of the pc-screen.
Or the sound of the nature outside the house. I live in on an island of silence with birds singing (in summer).

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 02:42
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Absolute silence Jan 3, 2007

Translation is not an easy job and any mistake can be harmful because it shows that I have not translated the document properly. So, I have to concentrate deeply while translating. Any noise or music distracts me and diverts my attention. In fact, I have to frequently request my wife and kids to slow down the volume of television and to abstain from making a noise.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:12
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Language has its own music Jan 4, 2007

In addition to the general concentration factor, I find that music in the background keeps me from following the music of the language itself. It's important to feel the rhythm and pacing of the text in the source language and capture it in the target, so I have to "hear" it in both.

I know for a fact that my work is not as good when I'm distracted by environmental sound.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you like to hear while translating?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »