Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: What do you like to hear while translating?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 2, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you like to hear while translating?"

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:50
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A tempo of music for a tempo of work Jan 2, 2007

I had to answer "Chill Out music", but meant to say "any music I find relaxing" most of the time.

At very busy times, I must push me a little bit with disco sound, soul, rock and roll, etc. Anything that can help me keep working after the first 10 hours each day!

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Living beings just doing their own thing Jan 2, 2007

Happy New Year everyone,

I like to hear the sounds of my colleague Katja munching rice cakes and wisecracking on life, the universe and everything.

But given that we are no longer employed in the same office, but now freelance in two different cities, I have since switched to hearing the sounds of nine small rodents munching rice cakes and fighting over their pecking order (can rodents have a "pecking" order?).

Greetz from Ricki,
who feels that nine
... See more
Happy New Year everyone,

I like to hear the sounds of my colleague Katja munching rice cakes and wisecracking on life, the universe and everything.

But given that we are no longer employed in the same office, but now freelance in two different cities, I have since switched to hearing the sounds of nine small rodents munching rice cakes and fighting over their pecking order (can rodents have a "pecking" order?).

Greetz from Ricki,
who feels that nine tame rats adequately replace most co-workers in a medium-sized translation company.
Collapse

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Actually... Jan 2, 2007

I responded "Absolute silence" since that was the closest to what I like best, but the "absolute" is not necessary.

I like to concentrate without other specific sounds around, but I don't have to lock myself away, or anything like that, to get my silence. Interruptions are welcomed from time to time, and I find that once I get involved in a translation, the other sounds are blocked out automatically.

Ask my wife, who frequently has to call me several times, to get my at
... See more
I responded "Absolute silence" since that was the closest to what I like best, but the "absolute" is not necessary.

I like to concentrate without other specific sounds around, but I don't have to lock myself away, or anything like that, to get my silence. Interruptions are welcomed from time to time, and I find that once I get involved in a translation, the other sounds are blocked out automatically.

Ask my wife, who frequently has to call me several times, to get my attention!!

Bill
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
mmmm Jan 2, 2007

I answered "Hard Rock Music" but actually I listen Bruce Springsteen's music only, which is rock but not hard.

BTW I listen his songs only when I translate from English, when from French into Italian, like right now, or from Dutch into Italian, it is impossible for me. (too many languages mixed)

Happy 2007 !!!

[Edited at 2007-01-02 14:08]

Sarah Appleby (X)
Sarah Appleby (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:50
German to English
Who can work and watch TV at the same time?! Jan 2, 2007

I think radio and TV should be two separate categories. A little music may be conducive to working but how anyone can watch TV while purporting to translate in a professional manner is completely beyond my understanding!
PS. I answered 'silence'

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 11:50
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Absolute Silence Jan 2, 2007

In fact, I have two main tendencies - absolute silence for highly technical translations and slow, serene classical music as well as reggae (my two favourites) for technical and general translations.

I create this silence by working alone in a room with door, windows, and curtains closed, but good vents even though it is equipped with an AC. Nobody may come in just for chatting and wasting time.

In the beginning, this is extremely difficult to implement given the fact
... See more
In fact, I have two main tendencies - absolute silence for highly technical translations and slow, serene classical music as well as reggae (my two favourites) for technical and general translations.

I create this silence by working alone in a room with door, windows, and curtains closed, but good vents even though it is equipped with an AC. Nobody may come in just for chatting and wasting time.

In the beginning, this is extremely difficult to implement given the fact that people wrongly perceive that being at home is equal to having no job. Then, they thought that I always have leisure time for chatting and wasting time with them. Refusing their coming was considered impolite.

Happy New Year Fellow Translators.

P.S.: I assume that what the asker means by the second option, Radio/TV, is its audio element. It is possible to hear music on TV while translating.

However, I can watch TV while translating. The monitor may function as TV monitor while at the same time I keep on translating because I can do blind typing (blind typing = not watching the keyboard or not watching the monitor). Nevertheless, I seldom do this. It is performed just to test my typing blindness and only for local jobs. I always check out the monitor during the ad breaks.

[Edited at 2007-01-02 15:09]
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Depends... Jan 2, 2007

It is total silence here right now, but I was listening to my favourite radio show this morning to ease me back into my first day of work

If I really need to concentrate, then I prefer to work in a silent cocoon. Otherwise if I am working on an easy text, doing admin or whatever, then I'll run iTunes in the background.

(great poll Q, by th
... See more
It is total silence here right now, but I was listening to my favourite radio show this morning to ease me back into my first day of work

If I really need to concentrate, then I prefer to work in a silent cocoon. Otherwise if I am working on an easy text, doing admin or whatever, then I'll run iTunes in the background.

(great poll Q, by the way)

[Edited at 2007-01-02 14:53]
Collapse

Anne Wosnitza
Anne Wosnitza  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to German
+ ...
True, depends... Jan 2, 2007

Usually, I listen to hard rock while translating and as long as the content allows it - once it gets tricky I turn the music off or put earplugs in (sharing rooms with another person)...

Sam Berner
Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:50
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nature Jan 2, 2007

I find that the older I get, the more noise annoys me. Not just when translating, but in general.

I moved into the country in the end. So now my repertoire for linguistic productivity consists of:

(1) Middle Ages music, Baroque, Gregorian chants, Russian male choirs, Hildegard von Bingen, Thomas Arne

(2) The cicadas

(3) The frogs

(4) Rain hammering on the tin roof (when available)

There apparently was a study done abou
... See more
I find that the older I get, the more noise annoys me. Not just when translating, but in general.

I moved into the country in the end. So now my repertoire for linguistic productivity consists of:

(1) Middle Ages music, Baroque, Gregorian chants, Russian male choirs, Hildegard von Bingen, Thomas Arne

(2) The cicadas

(3) The frogs

(4) Rain hammering on the tin roof (when available)

There apparently was a study done about Baroque music and brain waves.

I also find that my concentration is best at night (8PM to 2AM) when the levels of silence are the highest.

Does anyone else find out that natural light is a distraction, and likes working in a semi dark room with the lamp focused on the keyboard? Or am I growing a bit, errrr... mouldy between the ears?
Collapse

Francesca Grandinetti
Francesca Grandinetti
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
the sound of music Jan 2, 2007

I normally listen to jazz music (on a radio called KCSM)...it makes me work faster and relaxed

Happy New Year!

Franzi

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
I like to hear the rhythms of English... Jan 2, 2007

... in my head as I'm translating the Italian.

This usually means that: a) the original was written well; b) my translation will read well; and c) I'm doing something I really enjoy.

Buon proseguimento a tutti,

Giles

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 23:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
I responded another... Jan 2, 2007

I hear Classical Music in a very low volume, it's so relaxing to work.

I prefer Bethoven!

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Music Jan 2, 2007

My favourite music, so it may fall into given options, or not, depends on what I want to listen

Anni

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hear or listen to? Jan 2, 2007

I appreciated the apparent distinction in the poll question.

As with many others, a lot depends on what I´m translating. Just now I was listening to BBC Radio 4 (programme about new words in 2006 - no doubt we will shortly be struggling to translate them!). I have to have sound which does not interrupt, and which I am not tempted to listen to, but which may screen out other unwanted sounds/noises - and gentle Radio 4 often fits the bill.

Happy New Year, as quiet or as
... See more
I appreciated the apparent distinction in the poll question.

As with many others, a lot depends on what I´m translating. Just now I was listening to BBC Radio 4 (programme about new words in 2006 - no doubt we will shortly be struggling to translate them!). I have to have sound which does not interrupt, and which I am not tempted to listen to, but which may screen out other unwanted sounds/noises - and gentle Radio 4 often fits the bill.

Happy New Year, as quiet or as uproarious as you like, to all.

Noni

[Edited at 2007-01-02 16:44]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you like to hear while translating?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »