Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Would you accept a job beneath your rate?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 14:49
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Never Jan 10, 2007

My tagline reads, 'Rate = Quality + Punctuality.'

Hendarto Setiadi
Hendarto Setiadi  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 14:49
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Certainly, for literary projects Jan 10, 2007

I just received an offer to translate a book by Jostein Gaarder at a rate that is waaaay beneath my usual rate, but hey, money isn't everything. I find that literary projects are very good for your ego, because you're much more likely to be recognized for this kind of work.

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:49
English to French
+ ...
Agree with Irene: Jan 10, 2007

IreneN wrote:

I believe Yes in the only true and honest answer for full-time TR/INT (no other income). Maybe we'd forgotten what "no money" is? That's great!!!!!! No kidding. But this question, as I understand it, is not about "not enough for next vacation or new car", but plain good old "no money" for the next rent bill and kid's uniform.

The ones who have answered so far can afford to say never, but let's not forget the reasons for which some chose "yes".

And maybe if becoming a full time freelance translator is your dream-not-yet-come-true, you'll consider doing a few of those jobs in order to gain some experience.

I personnaly keep doing it for my first client, a small NGO, whenever I can.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you accept a job beneath your rate?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »