Poll: How do your clients mostly contact you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 16, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do your clients mostly contact you?".

This poll was originally submitted by Elisabete Cunha

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information,
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do your clients mostly contact you?".

This poll was originally submitted by Elisabete Cunha

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-01-16 18:41]
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:13
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I said e-mail, but Jan 16, 2007

probably about a third of them frequently phone me first.

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 17:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
E-mail... Jan 16, 2007

So far, approximately of all my jobs, are through mail.

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:13
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The reason for the poll Jan 16, 2007

I just wanted to know if clients usually contact you through email (the most common) or if some use phone, MSN, etc.

In my case, it's mostly email and MSN, but I have some clients who phone also, specially if we talking about urgent projects.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Email and MSN Jan 16, 2007

What's the difference between email and MSN? My email is MSN, although I have others as well, so I replied email.

Colombia
Local time: 17:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
The difference is.... Jan 16, 2007

Henry Hinds wrote:

What's the difference between email and MSN? My email is MSN, although I have others as well, so I replied email.

Hi Henry!

I think that e-mail is when someone contacts you through message in your box and MSN is concerning to live conversations by Messenger, isn't it?

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:13
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
MSN Jan 16, 2007

Henry Hinds wrote:

I assume she means MSN's Messenger interface (a live-chat tool similar to AOL's Instant Messenger, the text function in Skype, etc.)

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Mostly by telephone Jan 16, 2007

Most of my agencies contact me by telephone first, as the work is usually urgent, and then send the work by email. A few, particularly those in another country, contact me by email only, but it's a less reliable method, as I may not see the message at once.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Email, telphon, Skype Jan 17, 2007

Almost always at some stage I send and receive emails, but sometimes contact is facilitated also by phone calls and Skype conversations.

I find Skype increasingly useful especially that I use it also to make cheap international calls to people who don't use it.

Cheers
Stan

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 05:13
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Emails help me Jan 17, 2007

Emails provide me one of the best and easiest ways to communicate with clients

Miranda Joubioux (X)
Miranda Joubioux (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:13
French to English
E-mail Jan 17, 2007

E-mail is an almost obligatory step, because to send documents quickly, this is the first customer reflex. This makes our job pretty impersonal at times.
Quite a few of my direct customers contact me by Skype (chat mostly), because it speeds things up and they can also see when I'm not available.
I generally make phone calls to check that we understand each other properly after receiving an e-mail about a job.
This is partly to avoid problems later and partly to keep good cu
... See more
E-mail is an almost obligatory step, because to send documents quickly, this is the first customer reflex. This makes our job pretty impersonal at times.
Quite a few of my direct customers contact me by Skype (chat mostly), because it speeds things up and they can also see when I'm not available.
I generally make phone calls to check that we understand each other properly after receiving an e-mail about a job.
This is partly to avoid problems later and partly to keep good customer relations.
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Forging a good relationship Jan 17, 2007

This is partly to avoid problems later and partly to keep good customer relations.

Initial contact is almost always by E-mail, but I try to "train" people to use the phone for this very reason.

Skype chat is also excellent. E.g. "Hi - are you free today for 2,500 words?" Apart from that, you can also use it to exchange files if someone's E-mail is up the Swanee.

Chris

[Edited at 2007-01-17 10:22]

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:13
English to Polish
+ ...
Should be a distinction between initial and working contacts Jan 17, 2007

Jobs are usually announced by phone or email or both. While I am already working on a job, all forms of contact are used. But I also have a regular client who prefers Skype chat to other forms - we're both constantly on, so for him it's most efficient.
BTW, it seems that fax is dying out. No wonder ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do your clients mostly contact you?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »