Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When do you work most effectively?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 30, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When do you work most effectively?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rosa Enciso

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When do you work most effectively?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rosa Enciso

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Cristina Popescu (X)
Cristina Popescu (X)  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 04:24
English to Romanian
+ ...
Depends on many factors Jan 30, 2007

I actually hesitated whether to choose between "under time pressure" or "when I have plenty of time", but I guess it's neither.
I usually work well under time pressure, but sometimes it can inhibit me quite a lot. If I realize the workload is more than can be covered in the time available, I tend to procrastinate even more, because I get this idea that it won't be done in due time anyway.
As for when I have plenty of time, I sometimes also tend to postpone work, just because there i
... See more
I actually hesitated whether to choose between "under time pressure" or "when I have plenty of time", but I guess it's neither.
I usually work well under time pressure, but sometimes it can inhibit me quite a lot. If I realize the workload is more than can be covered in the time available, I tend to procrastinate even more, because I get this idea that it won't be done in due time anyway.
As for when I have plenty of time, I sometimes also tend to postpone work, just because there is a lot of time available.
So I guess the amount of time doesn't really have a say when it comes to efficiency for me. The factors that influence it would be the following:
- how interesting my project is
- how good my relationship with the client/agency is
- how much I'm getting paid
- the amount of public recognition (i.e. I would invest more passion in translating a book that will be published than in a document that is just for business purposes, for instance)
I guess that just about sums it up for me.

[Editat la 2007-01-30 13:13]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:24
English to French
+ ...
Many factors Jan 30, 2007

But when the source text is a horror, especially when I'm dealing with a lengthy project, it can get nasty. It completely takes away my motivation because I have the feeling I am cleaning up after somebody else. Complete downer!

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:24
English to Arabic
+ ...
Under pressure Jan 30, 2007

(Unfortunately), it's pressure that brings out wonders in me. Nothing is capable of distracting me then, I don't take phone calls, TV's off, I don't allow anyone to interrupt me.
Sometimes when I'm not under pressure, I try to PRETEND I'm under pressure, to work under the same conditions. But it just doesn't work. The pressure has to be REAL.

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 20:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'ts depends on many factors... Jan 30, 2007

One of the important factors is the climate; I prefer the cold weather, the tranquility, the silent and a good cup of Colombian Coffee.

I think that the most important thing to be an effective worker, it's a good disposition!

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:24
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Plenty of Time Jan 30, 2007

I work most effectively if I have plenty of time, or more accurately conveniently enough time.

In normal jobs, it can be said that I have plenty of time in general. On the other hand, in urgent jobs, it can be said that I have conveniently enough time.

Even though a job is classified as urgent, certainly I will not accept it if I do not have enough time to work on it properly. The quality should not be compromised.

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Many factors.. Jan 30, 2007

... I'd say. A well-done source text is often very encouraging for my job, i.e. good formatting, precise language etc.

There have been quite a few cases when the person who set up the source text used his/her computer as a type-writer, not knowing the very basics within word processing. I have seen far too many horror examples of so called formatted text, where somebody "has built" four-column tables using several tabulators, or ending every line (even if in the middle of a sentence
... See more
... I'd say. A well-done source text is often very encouraging for my job, i.e. good formatting, precise language etc.

There have been quite a few cases when the person who set up the source text used his/her computer as a type-writer, not knowing the very basics within word processing. I have seen far too many horror examples of so called formatted text, where somebody "has built" four-column tables using several tabulators, or ending every line (even if in the middle of a sentence) with hard return.

Now and then there are several persons contributing with different chapters to a manual, but they haven't communicated concerning consistent terminology. Quite often the translator is the first person who is actually reading the complete manual from the first to the last page, so he/she will notice quickly that the terminology is not OK. Of course it's not our job to correct the source text before getting started with the translation job itself. In such cases we ask client for more instructions, better deadline from our point of view etc.

Regards
Erik

Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Website www.hansson.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
Collapse

EngRusTranslations -
EngRusTranslations -
Local time: 19:24
English to Russian
+ ...
Piece and quiet. Jan 30, 2007

When it is quiet )))

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 21:24
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Piece of what? Jan 30, 2007

Do you mean "Peace and quiet"?

Clara Duarte
Clara Duarte  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Plenty of time available somehow is not a relevant factor in my case... and this is why Jan 30, 2007

I have been working on a project for over almost 2 months now. The initial deadline was reasonable. Two weeks after I started working on it the client decided it was time to make changes to the files.

They have been sending updates and changes for the last month, so this deadline seems to extend forever. I haven't been doing much work on it as I have to wait for the new files, so in the meanting I've been working on another project.

Because this job is somewhat dull,
... See more
I have been working on a project for over almost 2 months now. The initial deadline was reasonable. Two weeks after I started working on it the client decided it was time to make changes to the files.

They have been sending updates and changes for the last month, so this deadline seems to extend forever. I haven't been doing much work on it as I have to wait for the new files, so in the meanting I've been working on another project.

Because this job is somewhat dull, and demanding, it takes much more than plenty of time and even plenty of peace and quiet to get it done.

When the source text is interesting I tend to get more excited about it and seem to approach the job more dynamically than I would if I were translating decree-laws, for instance...
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Working under pressure Jan 31, 2007

Hipyan Nopri wrote:
Even though a job is classified as urgent, certainly I will not accept it if I do not have enough time to work on it properly. The quality should not be compromised.

Hi Hipyan
A clarification: working under presssure doesn't necessarily mean that it's the client that's put me under pressure. It usually means that I worked under excessively relaxed conditions for the first half of the job, resulting in increasing pressure in the second half!
I'm usually better organised than that though

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
That's Fine Jan 31, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

Hi Hipyan
A clarification: working under presssure doesn't necessarily mean that it's the client that's put me under pressure. It usually means that I worked under excessively relaxed conditions for the first half of the job, resulting in increasing pressure in the second half!
I'm usually better organised than that though

Hi Nesrin,

Sometimes I work like you do. I usually use this relaxed phase to preview the text. In other words, it seems like a diesel machine.

Gabor Kun
Gabor Kun  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 03:24
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
Minority - "Other" Jan 31, 2007

When there is as much time as needed, or slightly more. By the way, it depends on several factors, of course.

Hendarto Setiadi
Hendarto Setiadi  Identity Verified
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Other Jan 31, 2007

I work MOST effectively when money is tight. At times like that even Proz is off limits

[Edited at 2007-01-31 03:18]

Pundora
Pundora  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:54
English to Hindi
+ ...
Other Jan 31, 2007

I work most effectively when the topic is my specialization or very simple and interesting to me, when I need minimum dictionary help and do not get stuck after every sentence.

Pundora

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When do you work most effectively?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »