https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/65618-poll%3A_did_you_know_that_february_21_is_the_international_mother_language_day.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Did you know that February 21 is the International Mother Language Day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 9, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Did you know that February 21 is the International Mother Language Day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lubain Masum

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll i
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Did you know that February 21 is the International Mother Language Day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lubain Masum

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:08
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
International Mother Language Day Feb 9, 2007

International Mother Language Day proclaimed by UNESCO is on 21st February commemorating the language movement of Bangladeshi Bengali in 1952. Please see the link

http://www.un.org/Depts/dhl/language/

[Edited at 2007-02-09 15:07]

[Edited at 2007-02-09 15:27]

[Edited at 2007-02-09 15:28]

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:08
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Very important for minorities Feb 9, 2007

Hi people!
These globalized days we talk a lot about "international languages" and the like.
But what about localisms? Dialects, small national languages, endangered languages...?
Speakers of Tibetan, Hmong, Zuñi, Herero, Sami, Mapuche, etc. should rejoice that at last they are taken into consideration!
Great that you are diffusing this event!

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 07:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 9, 2007

I replied thus since I didn´t really understand what we were supposed to be marking with this day. Fabio´s comments clarify, and I agree wholeheartedly with him.
Noni

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 00:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good thing... Feb 9, 2007

I did not know, but now I already know it.

Every day we learn new things, that's the most beautiful part of the life!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:08
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Respect for languages.... also for the larger ones please! Feb 9, 2007

In Spain, regional governments feel committed to promoting programmes and regulations "in defense of the regional difference and their language"... and effectively keeping about 20% of all Spanish children from properly learning a language as universal as Spanish in school and University, and in about 50% of cases also the language their parents use at home.

In Catalonia, merchants are even fined if they only have their signs and brochures in Spanish. They are forced by current law
... See more
In Spain, regional governments feel committed to promoting programmes and regulations "in defense of the regional difference and their language"... and effectively keeping about 20% of all Spanish children from properly learning a language as universal as Spanish in school and University, and in about 50% of cases also the language their parents use at home.

In Catalonia, merchants are even fined if they only have their signs and brochures in Spanish. They are forced by current law to use Catalan... and just they dare use Spanish alone!! Fines are considerable.

I entirely agree with the defense and protection of minority languages and the right of their users to learn it in an academic environment, help their children learn it, and of course to use it IF AND WHEN THEY WISH... but not at the expense of suppressing people's right to continue to use a more international language if their parents already speak it at home.

So please, let's also use February 21st to celebrate the greatness of being able to communicate with hundreds of millions of people and let's also defend the right of people to do so!
Collapse

Marta Argat
Marta Argat  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:08
Chinese to Ukrainian
+ ...
very useful for (native) language teachers Feb 9, 2007

For me, this will be a great opportunity to remind my students the importance of the things they study in my class.
Thank you for sharing this information!

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:08
English to Indonesian
+ ...
I don't know Feb 10, 2007

I don't know that February 21 is the International Mother Language Day? But I am happy to know it as a translator. I think one has to respect his/her mother language even though he/she also uses other language everyday.

TrueBaller
TrueBaller  Identity Verified
Albanian to English
+ ...
Thanks for sharing... Feb 11, 2007

Lubain,
Many thanks for sharing this information with us. I had heard about this but did not know the details around it: how it started, when, etc. Thank you for sharing.
I checked out the link you sent and Wikipedia and learned that every year there is a special topic/theme that the IML Day is devoted to. Do you know what the topic for this year will be? I am very curious to know. I checked the UN site and all the web myself but could not find anything. Instead, I found more on th
... See more
Lubain,
Many thanks for sharing this information with us. I had heard about this but did not know the details around it: how it started, when, etc. Thank you for sharing.
I checked out the link you sent and Wikipedia and learned that every year there is a special topic/theme that the IML Day is devoted to. Do you know what the topic for this year will be? I am very curious to know. I checked the UN site and all the web myself but could not find anything. Instead, I found more on the topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mother_Language_Day

http://webworld.unesco.org/imld/

http://portal.unesco.org/education/en/ev.php-URL_ID=19644&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

Thanks again.
Collapse

TrueBaller
TrueBaller  Identity Verified
Albanian to English
+ ...
Linguapax Awards and International Mother Language Day Feb 11, 2007

The Linguapax Award is awarded every year to linguists, researchers, professors and members of the civil society in acknowledgement of their outstanding work in the field linguistic diversity and/or multilingual education. The Linguapax Prize is made public on February 21st of every year.

http://www.linguapax.org/en/premisLPXang.html

ScriptArch
ScriptArch  Identity Verified
Uruguay
German to Spanish
+ ...
¡Of course! Feb 11, 2007

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
In Catalonia, merchants are even fined if they only have their signs and brochures in Spanish. They are forced by current law to use Catalan... and just they dare use Spanish alone!! Fines are considerable.
I entirely agree with the defense and protection of minority languages and the right of their users to learn it in an academic environment, help their children learn it, and of course to use it IF AND WHEN THEY WISH... but not at the expense of suppressing people's right to continue to use a more international language if their parents already speak it at home.
So please, let's also use February 21st to celebrate the greatness of being able to communicate with hundreds of millions of people and let's also defend the right of people to do so!

Hello Tomás,
I fully understand what you mean. The case for "Spanish and other Iberian languages" is very particular - not unique, but in any case it deserves our most particular attention, perhaps to learn that "all extremes are bad".

When I talk about defending minority languages, I actually try to defend "fully equal rights for all languages and language-speakers in all thinkable ways".

Your point is a very useful opinion for this debate. Because:
1) You show that there ARE many opinions concerning the point "global communication vs. regionalism", and
2) It is evident that this topic, properly debated, can be compared with other topics concerning "minorities", such as religion, political ideas, gay&lesbian rights, etc.

Welcome to this forum, and let's hope that the topic goes on.

ScriptArch
ScriptArch  Identity Verified
Uruguay
German to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Mimoza Feb 11, 2007

Mimoza Velo wrote:
The Linguapax Award is awarded every year to linguists, researchers, professors and members of the civil society in acknowledgement of their outstanding work in the field linguistic diversity and/or multilingual education...
http://www.linguapax.org/en/premisLPXang.html

Nice to greet you!
First time I am addressing an Albanian speaker. So I will take the chance and bring forward a particular sub-topic: your mother language.
Your language is a very old one, and has long been the official language of Albania. As well as the mother tongue of Albanians in Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and other places.
But there are at leas two important sorts of Albanian, Tosk and Gheg.
Now your language is slowly gaining a sort of prominence - after all, ProZ.com is already localized in Albanian! (And Mother Teresa, to name one, was after all a prominent Albanian). Perhaps one day it could become the... 30th or 35th official language of the European Union.
What do you think should be the ideal path: try a uniform normative for writing/speaking for Albanians worldwide, or fully respect the "two-dialect" approach?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Did you know that February 21 is the International Mother Language Day?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »