Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Freelance translators: Did you previously work in the main field in which you translate?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes - I was in the *Hollywood world for 7 years Feb 14, 2007

I worked in the Media Department of the Clorox company. Marketing/Advertising are another passion in my life (I also studied the two).

I can feel the difference when I translate in these fields. An example: if I have to translate the word 'wearout', most dictionaries will help me find the word 'saturación', but I know what the wearout is, not only how to translate it.
I know how many times in a year a copy is expected to be aired to reach the target (auch!) >> to have a posi
... See more
I worked in the Media Department of the Clorox company. Marketing/Advertising are another passion in my life (I also studied the two).

I can feel the difference when I translate in these fields. An example: if I have to translate the word 'wearout', most dictionaries will help me find the word 'saturación', but I know what the wearout is, not only how to translate it.
I know how many times in a year a copy is expected to be aired to reach the target (auch!) >> to have a positive effect, i.e. to convince the target to buy the item in question.

I can handle marketing issues much better than issues in other fields, even those I studied. Being 'in' the kitchen, gives a completely different insight > better translations. (And the ones I enjoy the most ).

Au

* Hollywood because of the fun part of the story (dinners, launches, gifts, etc.)

[Editado a las 2007-02-14 19:57]
Collapse

darkokoporcic
darkokoporcic  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 08:53
Member (2005)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Lingusts vs. professionals Feb 14, 2007

Hi everybody!

I think translators can be divided into two large groups:
a) linguists, who master languages, styles, semantics, and grammar. Of course they could not have worked in any "field" by definition.
b) "professionals", who master jargons, find impossible solutions, satisfy translation needs of their colleagues and do things that cause too much headache to linguists.

Everything else is charlatanism. A mechanical engineer who spent 10 years in a power
... See more
Hi everybody!

a) linguists, who master languages, styles, semantics, and grammar. Of course they could not have worked in any "field" by definition.
b) "professionals", who master jargons, find impossible solutions, satisfy translation needs of their colleagues and do things that cause too much headache to linguists.

Everything else is charlatanism. A mechanical engineer who spent 10 years in a power plant or in a paper mill can never ever localise DTP software or translate a tender for medical equipment.

Well, I am one of them mechanical engineers and we are famous for our conservativism, so someone might argue with me. I am eager to read any comments.

Darko
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:53
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Interesting distinction Feb 14, 2007

Darko Koporcic wrote:

Interesting distinction - how about all those "professionals" who switched to translating because they discovered that they preferred being linguists.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Freelance translators: Did you previously work in the main field in which you translate?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »