Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Which role would you like to play in the translation industry?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 19, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which role would you like to play in the translation industry?".

This poll was originally submitted by Chinoise

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which role would you like to play in the translation industry?".

This poll was originally submitted by Chinoise

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Heike Kurtz
Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:46
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Most Proz.com members _are_ freelance translators Feb 19, 2007

at least I think so...

And I guess this is not a profession you get stuck in although you want to do something else.

Chanda Danley
Chanda Danley  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Odd Question??? Feb 19, 2007

Does anyone else think this question is a bit odd...

First, of all it seems to suggest that we aren't in fact any of the choices at the present time and secondly, it seems a bit frivolous as at least I don't feel that I play a role, but rather carry out a profession...maybe it's the use of English in the poll question that makes it seem odd to me....

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Please Holy Mary" Feb 19, 2007

I am an independent translator already, and a very happy one. I love this. So all I can add is something we say in Spain: "¡Virgencita, Virgencita, que me quede como estoy!" ("Please Holy Mary, may things go forever as they go today!")

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
A translation bureau now, but.... Feb 19, 2007

I will always be a translator above all. My bureau may disappear, this translator will translate till the end of times.

A colleague of mine was once telling me how much she had advanced (???) in the profession: you know Au? I have tons of projects and lots of freelancers all over the world. I no longer translate!!! (She was extremely happy as she pronounced the last sentence).

I don't feel the same. What I enjoy the most in life is the challenge of taking that sentence
... See more
I will always be a translator above all. My bureau may disappear, this translator will translate till the end of times.

A colleague of mine was once telling me how much she had advanced (???) in the profession: you know Au? I have tons of projects and lots of freelancers all over the world. I no longer translate!!! (She was extremely happy as she pronounced the last sentence).

I don't feel the same. What I enjoy the most in life is the challenge of taking that sentence in English and saying it in my own language. Moving away from that path is no progress for me.

Au
Collapse

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:46
English to French
+ ...
Same here: Feb 19, 2007

Aurora Humarán wrote:
What I enjoy the most in life is the challenge of taking that sentence in English and saying it in my own language.
Au

Though I wouldn't mind going through the in-house status for a while, to learn a few more tricks and get some knowledge (that people who went in-house say you can't really get otherwise). But that's not my dream. I love being free-lance.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:46
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nothing odd about the question... Feb 19, 2007

Chanda Danley wrote:

Does anyone else think this question is a bit odd...

As I understand it, it basically means: what is your long-term ambition in the translation industry? Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years' time?

I've tried subcontracting a few times before, and my husband believes that I should be aiming to establish an agency - as if this is the natural progression from being a freelancer!
But - like my colleagues above - I am only ever happy when I do the proper job of translating. The simple task of preparing an invoice gets my stress levels up - how am I ever supposed to run an agency??

So in short, my answer is: Freelance translator

[Edited at 2007-02-19 16:42]

Katharine Prucha
Katharine Prucha  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Freelancer! Feb 19, 2007

One of the best parts about doing the actual translating is that I am responsible for my own end product rather than being responsible for someone elses end product! I find that stressful!

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 19, 2007

I answered other. By being a freelance translator, you blow up all the bridges to the "normal" working-world.
By acting as an agency, you don't. You "manage" something. That "managing" has a value in the normal business-world.
And if I succeed in managing away from translation to conference-interpreting, I would not hesitate.
On the other hand, the position of an in-house at any international institution is difficult to get, but secure, well-paid and with good perks.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Why it's not an odd question Feb 19, 2007

Indeed, very pertinent at this time when the site is, perhaps, shifting away from a site more or less exclusively run for the benefit of the freelance community, in order to expand its appeal to the agencies/outsourcers (i.e. the corporate membership).

The results could give an indication of the proportion of existing freelancer members who, in the fullness of time, could become corporate members, if their ambitions are fulfilled. Quite handy market research, I would think....

Heike Kurtz
Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
then I will be gone Feb 19, 2007

well, if this site turns into just another translation job broker working solely for the benefit of agencies and other corporate customers - I will be gone.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-02-19 18:13]

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:46
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agreed Feb 19, 2007

hkurtz wrote:

well, if this site turns into just another translation job broker working for the well-being for agencies and other corporate customers - I will be gone.

As will I.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:46
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Translators are at the core of ProZ.com. Feb 19, 2007

8. Translators are at the core of ProZ.com. ProZ.com serves the entire translation industry by serving translators first. Recognizing that the players in the translation industry--translators, translation companies and end clients--are complementary, the site provides a fair and open workplace in which all parties can meet and work transparently and efficiently.

You can read the principles upon which ProZ.com has been built at
... See more
8. Translators are at the core of ProZ.com. ProZ.com serves the entire translation industry by serving translators first. Recognizing that the players in the translation industry--translators, translation companies and end clients--are complementary, the site provides a fair and open workplace in which all parties can meet and work transparently and efficiently.

You can read the principles upon which ProZ.com has been built at
Sixteen (16) cornerstones of ProZ.com.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Translator, freelance or not. Feb 19, 2007

I left the RAF after 14 years, because though I enjoyed my translating work, I didn't like the other aspects of service life, particularly as a senior NCO, for which role I felt ill suited.
At BBC Monitoring, I left translating for six months on an attachment to News Bureau, where I worked as a sub-editor. I hated it, and was delighted to get back to monitoring again, even though confirmation in the post of sub-editor would have been a promotion with a rise in salary.
And I feel the
... See more
I left the RAF after 14 years, because though I enjoyed my translating work, I didn't like the other aspects of service life, particularly as a senior NCO, for which role I felt ill suited.
At BBC Monitoring, I left translating for six months on an attachment to News Bureau, where I worked as a sub-editor. I hated it, and was delighted to get back to monitoring again, even though confirmation in the post of sub-editor would have been a promotion with a rise in salary.
And I feel the same now. No-one is likely to offer me, at the age of 75, a permanent staff post, or a role as a project manager, but if such an offer were made, I would refuse it.
Collapse

Fiamma Lolli
Fiamma Lolli
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
other: a publisher Feb 19, 2007

I would like to be able to publish the texts I find interesting! There is a lot of books so called "out of market" because they belong to a niche: a lot of poetry mainly, but even essays and fiction. I translate them when I have time - less than I'd love to - for a circle of friends, but no one, usually, pays for this job. And the same thing happens to a bunch of good friends that scout and translate great things, too radical to be found in bookshops. So I would like to become a publisher,:a tra... See more
I would like to be able to publish the texts I find interesting! There is a lot of books so called "out of market" because they belong to a niche: a lot of poetry mainly, but even essays and fiction. I translate them when I have time - less than I'd love to - for a circle of friends, but no one, usually, pays for this job. And the same thing happens to a bunch of good friends that scout and translate great things, too radical to be found in bookshops. So I would like to become a publisher,:a translator *and* a publisher, I mean.
An utopia? May be. But I don't care. Utopia is not a place to go, it's a star that drives along the road when the night it's too dark... and you need a dark night to be able to see the stars...
Many times in my life I had utopic dreams: to be able to save someone from a jail, and then I translated Karl Louis Guillen "The Grinder" and he could get a proper lawyer out of the royalties; to be able to do something for the memory of the desaparecidos - the vanished ones in Argentina - and then I translated a book from five of them; to help young poets to live out of their poems, and now I'm translating Jesse Marsh. So, why not?

Sorry for my English... I'm not native, after all!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which role would you like to play in the translation industry?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »