Poll: Do you hate some of your clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
belitrix
belitrix
Local time: 10:19
German to Italian
+ ...
You shouldn't "hate" your customers - Just quit Feb 22, 2007

I don't agree about "hating" customers. But there are certain persons arguing about their own situation, not willing to pay anything and asking you to translate and arguing again about the price of the translation.

I've had a client with whom I had to discuss several times for at least half an hour about the translation on the phone. Although I didn't take this into account in my bill, he wanted to reduce the price for the translation based on the "words-counting" - and this was als
... See more
I don't agree about "hating" customers. But there are certain persons arguing about their own situation, not willing to pay anything and asking you to translate and arguing again about the price of the translation.

I've had a client with whom I had to discuss several times for at least half an hour about the translation on the phone. Although I didn't take this into account in my bill, he wanted to reduce the price for the translation based on the "words-counting" - and this was also the theme my translations had to do with - with the persons he shared a condominium with.

I told him that I was no longer interested in this relationship and that was it. And I'm not sorry about this decision.

Most of my clients are nice people and I'm sometimes very sorry for them because they have so many problems to procure documents for administration purposes.
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
My clients... Feb 22, 2007

...are for the vast majority agencies, and they are really all lovely. If it wasn't too strong to say: "I LOVE'em", then I would say it...

Sometimes I hate some jobs, or my profession, or the PC, or some programs (I cannot mention them, but I bet most of you know what I am referring to!), but I never hated my clients. If I don't like somebody I don't have to work with them...

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Don't hate them but I'd never work with them either Feb 23, 2007

Hi,

Well, there was one person from what appears to be a reputed agency... a very small job.

Time of Delivery: 18h00 IST

Delivered on time to the two e-mail ids.

Received a phone call b/w 2 to 3 a.m. IST... I was asleep. And this person was telling me that he hadn't received the translation.

I was really angry.

I mean, was he sleeping for 8 hours? Even if the work was delayed I would have written to him or if he
... See more
Hi,

Well, there was one person from what appears to be a reputed agency... a very small job.

Time of Delivery: 18h00 IST

Delivered on time to the two e-mail ids.

Received a phone call b/w 2 to 3 a.m. IST... I was asleep. And this person was telling me that he hadn't received the translation.

I was really angry.

I mean, was he sleeping for 8 hours? Even if the work was delayed I would have written to him or if he hadn't received it he should have written to me. But no... and if he could wait till 3 a.m. why not another couple of hours when I'd be fully awake?

And when I told him that he should have called earlier, he was quite rude and wanted the translation immediately.

I sent it.

Anyways, that was the first and last time I worked for that agency.

I've received more proposals but I've decided that I won't work with them, at least I deserve sound sleep at night. Right?

And no, I don't work 24x7x365 simply because I'm human

Ritu

[Edited at 2007-02-23 06:54]
Collapse

Chanda Danley
Chanda Danley  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very Disappointed with this Poll Question Feb 23, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

I'm all for some light-hearted polls, but given that we are supposed to be a group that is both professional and "language-sensitive," I would hope that in the future the language used in asking a survey question would be selected with greater care, and that some consideration be given to how these polls might make us look to the outside world.

This is exactly what I was thinking. There has been mention in this thread that 'hate' is not so bad...but really from an English native perspective, 'hate' is really a horrible word and carries a very harsh and disrespectful connotation as far as I'm concerned. Why do you think so many horrendous acts are called 'hate crimes'?

I think this poll question is really very unprofessional and makes all of us look bad just being associated with it.

I'm disappointed that Proz.com/the moderators have allowed this poll question.

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Oh, really? Feb 23, 2007

Textklick wrote:

If they misbehave: fire them!

I actually fired them, but unfortunatly they still owe me about 3.000 euros which, given the law and the near-to-zero rights we freelance have in Italy, I will never ever see again. Gone for good.

Now, considering all the time I've spent working basically for free, considering the lack of income for not having done other jobs, considering the stomach burns, considering the troubles with bills I went through and the sleepless nights, considering they made my life miserable...can I hate them? Of course I can. And believe me, you'd do the same.

[Edited at 2007-02-23 12:07]

[Edited at 2007-02-23 12:08]

Gianni Pastore
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
And we live in a perfect world Feb 23, 2007

Chanda Danley wrote:

I think this poll question is really very unprofessional and makes all of us look bad just being associated with it.

I'm disappointed that Proz.com/the moderators have allowed this poll question.

We are human being, and "hate" is just one of the many feeling we are supposed to experience. I agree with you that life would be better without the word "hate", but this is not gonna happen.

Why do you think is unprofessional? Am I supposed to smile and be cheerful when some "so called professional" refuse to pay me with no reason whatsoever? Gimme a break.

And, by the way, I don't give a xxxx if someone sees my name associated with this poll. At least they will know that I don't take prisoners. I used to, but they took advantage of it. Now it's my turn.

[Edited at 2007-02-23 12:10]

[Edited at 2007-02-23 12:39]

Chanda Danley
Chanda Danley  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
As language professionals, we should realize the power of words Feb 23, 2007

I am not suggesting that feeling upset or angry about late payments, etc. is not human or even unprofessional. Of course it is. But, I believe using the word 'hate', from a native English speaker's perspective, is unprofessional. It's all about wording the poll correctly. I find the wording unprofessional and offensive actually.

[Edited at 2007-02-23 12:52]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You can't help disliking people, but hating is cultivating your dislike... Feb 23, 2007

Some people are just easier to like than others. Some get on your nerves, irritate, make you angry etc.

We're all human.

I voted 'I don't "hate" anyone' - you can't be too categorical in a poll like this and "hate" was in inverted commas.

For me hating is sitting sulking and planning revenge when people irritate you. Not trying to solve the problem or avoid it by refusing to work for clients. Hate is when you are deliberately unpleasant yourself.

... See more
Some people are just easier to like than others. Some get on your nerves, irritate, make you angry etc.

We're all human.

I voted 'I don't "hate" anyone' - you can't be too categorical in a poll like this and "hate" was in inverted commas.

For me hating is sitting sulking and planning revenge when people irritate you. Not trying to solve the problem or avoid it by refusing to work for clients. Hate is when you are deliberately unpleasant yourself.

But hate varies in intensity. "I hate rice pudding."
I dislike intensely when I'm dead tired and a client sends 100 extra words from that job I finished two days ago, to be sent by return mail. At times I really hate that.

I hate when my husband zaps about while I'm listening to the language used in some boring political discussion on TV... Never mind what they say, I'm totally, professionally, absorbed in how they say it!!!

But I do try not to hate people.

Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:19
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Demand respect Feb 23, 2007

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Textklick wrote:

If they misbehave: fire them!

I actually fired them, but unfortunately they still owe me about 3.000 euros which, given the law and the near-to-zero rights we freelance have in Italy, I will never ever see again. Gone for good.

Can't you have some members of the family gently explain to them that it is nothing personal - only business?

Bacio le mani
Chris

Gianni Pastore
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
I have to admit... Feb 24, 2007

Textklick wrote:

Can't you have some members of the family gently explain to them that it is nothing personal - only business?

Bacio le mani
Chris

...that yes, it crossed my mind. I think I am gonna make them an offer they just can refuse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you hate some of your clients?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »