Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Are there any translators among your friends?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sam Berner
Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:30
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Most, and I am beginning to think it might not be healthy :-) Feb 24, 2007

When I had a surgery a few months ago, the room in the hospital was a veritable Tower of Babel.

Being a very social animal, I ran through my list of contacts - over 80% are translators or interpreters (or both). The rest are mentorees (translators or interpreters); project managers (translating); agency owners (translating); academics (linguistics and T&I) and finally happy former clients.

I mean, we went for breakfast this morning with a group of [professional] friend
... See more
When I had a surgery a few months ago, the room in the hospital was a veritable Tower of Babel.

Being a very social animal, I ran through my list of contacts - over 80% are translators or interpreters (or both). The rest are mentorees (translators or interpreters); project managers (translating); agency owners (translating); academics (linguistics and T&I) and finally happy former clients.

I mean, we went for breakfast this morning with a group of [professional] friends, and my partner - who is an IT techie - was discussing the ethics of interpreting in courts and hospitals with my best friend (who is an interpreter).

It doesn't sound good, does it?

I should take up rock-climbing, or something. Problem is, my trainer will probably end up being a former student .. and Cantonese interpreter

Cheers,

Sam
Collapse

Silvina Matheu
Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Most Feb 24, 2007

I have three friends I keep from my secondary school's times and two friends whom I met when I was working inhouse and who are not translators.

The rest are all translators, including two university classmates who are still friends of mine but do not work as translators: one is a publisher and the other one a teacher of English. They started as translators with me many years ago, but the finally gave up. I am still on the track!...
See more
I have three friends I keep from my secondary school's times and two friends whom I met when I was working inhouse and who are not translators.

The rest are all translators, including two university classmates who are still friends of mine but do not work as translators: one is a publisher and the other one a teacher of English. They started as translators with me many years ago, but the finally gave up. I am still on the track!
Collapse

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:30
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Some Feb 24, 2007

Some of those who studied with me at university and some people I met through proz (specially in powwows) to whom I can call friends now (some of them very good friends, actually).

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
I went for "some" Feb 26, 2007

although if you ran stats on my e-mail address book, it'd be pretty more lopsided

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are there any translators among your friends?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »