Mobile menu

Poll: When translating, do you ever find yourself gesturing to find the word you're looking for?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 16:44
SITE STAFF
Mar 6, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When translating, do you ever find yourself gesturing to find the word you're looking for?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ma. Fernanda Blesa

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:44
Italian to English
+ ...
Other Mar 6, 2007

Because I haven't the faintest idea!

amatos amatos
Local time: 23:44
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Frequently Mar 6, 2007

I snap my fingers and when things are really bad I swear a lot!!

Fiona Robson
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
gesturing when translating Mar 6, 2007

Presumably this question refers to written translation, and not spoken interpretation. No, I don't gesture as I would when communicating with somebody in front of me, unless you mean the "racking the brains" type of gesture!

Fiona

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
oh, stuff this! Mar 6, 2007

Maybe I don't gesture to find words, but boy, do I gesture a lot when the source document is bad! And say rude things. And swivel around in my chair.... and....

Pawel Skalinski

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Regularly... Mar 6, 2007

And funnily enough, at other times, like this morning when my new Trados went into demo mode and could not find my licence.... I can find the most amazing words, which the Moderators would remove at once if I wrote them here!

I read a proof on paper, took a deep breath and browsed...
and it worked!

Still have not had the courage to try Multiterm, though!

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:44
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
All the time Mar 6, 2007

I even started a thread about it:
http://www.proz.com/topic/52620

Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just like Marcel Marceau (I wish!) :D Mar 6, 2007

It happens to me all the time, but I was caught while doing it the other day and got laughed at for about half an hour LOL

Great feeling when you find the word though, makes the ridicule worth its while

Nice knowing that I'm not alone

Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
And why not? Mar 6, 2007

Yes - in the absence of the Berlin Philharmonic, you have to have someone to conduct, so why not a PC?

Seriously, I know exactly what you mean. I also know the "songsheet" that others sing from!

I also read final versions out loud (I think that was mentioned before in another forum - "Who are you talking to, dear?").

Are we not entitled to our quirks? Others are.

Best
Chris

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:44
English to French
+ ...
Sometimes Mar 7, 2007

Because I snap my fingers when something is at the tip of my tongue but refuses to come out. On the other hand, I talk a lot, which helps me find the right word and to see if my sentence sounds good

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:44
English to Spanish
even more... Mar 7, 2007

Textklick wrote:

I also read final versions out loud (I think that was mentioned before in another forum - "Who are you talking to, dear?").

I do the whole thinking process aloud and don't even notice, as in "I know that word... I've seen it before... mmm, what was it [tapping my nose]... come on, you [meaning, myself]can do it... [add 5 more minutes]".

Most of the times it doesn't matter, since there's no one nearby... but I worked as inhouse translator for a year and one of my former colleagues -who is now a very close friend- recently confessed that he and others were a little bit afraid of me the first months because they feared I had some kind of personality disorder.

They eventualy reached the conclusion that I do have one, but that it's not as serious (or dangerous) as they initially thought

Greetings all
Andrea

PS: I just visited the thread that Claudia started a couple of months ago... I feel oddly comforted, knowing I'm not the only one who suffers from some sort of translators' DID.

[Edited at 2007-03-07 04:04]

Tomas Burda  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
I do not know... Mar 7, 2007

I have not been using the web cam for ages. Nobody observes me. BIG brother remains to be a vision about the 80's from the 50's...

Ieva Jirgensone
German to Latvian
+ ...
all the time Mar 7, 2007

and I verbalise the thinking process too. And that's why I like working at home, that's just the way I work

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When translating, do you ever find yourself gesturing to find the word you're looking for?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs