Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: How do you keep awake when doing a "must be on our desk first thing in the morning translation?"
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
janen
janen
Local time: 09:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
early morning Mar 10, 2007

I don't accept that kind of job, but if things get tight I will get up at 5 a.m. Recently, on a long job with a tight deadline, I was regularly getting up at 6 a.m.

Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:19
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
little rewards the next day Mar 10, 2007

Early mornings I could not do...I alwas get up at the same time, around 7, but am not able to work right away.
Staying up late is no problem for me, I always work in the evening/night, so I can work at my other jobs and spend time with the kids in the daytime.
If the job is interesting I don't mind at all and it is easy to stay awake, if it is boring, I promise myself a long nap and/or a shopping trip the next day - the more boring the job, the more treats I need to bribe myself wit
... See more
Early mornings I could not do...I alwas get up at the same time, around 7, but am not able to work right away.
Staying up late is no problem for me, I always work in the evening/night, so I can work at my other jobs and spend time with the kids in the daytime.
If the job is interesting I don't mind at all and it is easy to stay awake, if it is boring, I promise myself a long nap and/or a shopping trip the next day - the more boring the job, the more treats I need to bribe myself with... but I always finish the job before I go to bed. No naps and no breaks before it is finished.
But I have had some decadent days lately...
Collapse

Iwona Szymaniak
Iwona Szymaniak  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Power naps Mar 10, 2007

I take "power naps" followed by long showers (not too hot just warm) and a promise of a decent, long sleep the day after seem to do the work.
I have to admit that my mind powered by adrenaline in such situations works the double and is much, much clearer.
Excellent time for translating poems or songs.

I can also get up very early instead if not sleeping and get th work done. The trick is to have everybody else at home asleep, no phones, no visits. Night outside, quiet
... See more
I take "power naps" followed by long showers (not too hot just warm) and a promise of a decent, long sleep the day after seem to do the work.
I have to admit that my mind powered by adrenaline in such situations works the double and is much, much clearer.
Excellent time for translating poems or songs.

I can also get up very early instead if not sleeping and get th work done. The trick is to have everybody else at home asleep, no phones, no visits. Night outside, quiet inside.

Iwona
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:19
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
"That kind of job" Mar 10, 2007

I wish I could say that.

Sometimes its not about taking on jobs with ridiculous, masochistic deadlines. It might be related to timezones.

A voice from the west coast, USA:
European offices open when I would rather go to bed by 11 pm to be in sync with my family. The time difference, however, is 9 hours. My east coast clients love to talk to me at 5 in the morning. New Zealand / Australia find plenty of time to communicate at a time when sane US offices are done
... See more
I wish I could say that.

Sometimes its not about taking on jobs with ridiculous, masochistic deadlines. It might be related to timezones.

A voice from the west coast, USA:
European offices open when I would rather go to bed by 11 pm to be in sync with my family. The time difference, however, is 9 hours. My east coast clients love to talk to me at 5 in the morning. New Zealand / Australia find plenty of time to communicate at a time when sane US offices are done for the day. I love my clients a lot.

COFFEE (plenty) was my answer.
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
English to German
Think of as a challenge and think of the money :-) Mar 10, 2007

I tell myself "Hey, this is a real challenge, and I'm committed to win this battle." I also think of the nice rush fee

Heike Kurtz
Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
early to bed, early to rise.... Mar 10, 2007

if I cannot help but work at night, I would rather go to bed early and get up around 3 or 4 in the morning.

Sam Berner
Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:19
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nap is the word Mar 10, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

That keeps me going till 3 am or so. Probably longer than that even.

Works wonders. I am by nature a "bat" (no, I don't hang upside down while working) so the aspect of working late doesn't bother me much, as I regularly sleep in late (my partner takes the phone calls and politely says I am busy)

But I do not take "rush" jobs as a matter of practice, because "rush" means "low quality". Of course it depends on the size of the assignment, but generally any thing larger than a 1K trifle is politely but firmly refused.

Rosa Enciso
Rosa Enciso  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
I normally don't accept Mar 10, 2007

this kind of jobs.

But if for one reason I am really under time pressure, I prefer to wake up really early, maybe at 5 o'clock in the morning. I have noticed that working late in the evening is not rewarding for me. I then feel uninspired, my brain doesn't work properly, I'm really slow and it's very tiring for my eyes.

On the other hand, working in the early morning hours is rewarding, even after a short night. After two cups of coffee, I feel really awake and product
... See more
this kind of jobs.

But if for one reason I am really under time pressure, I prefer to wake up really early, maybe at 5 o'clock in the morning. I have noticed that working late in the evening is not rewarding for me. I then feel uninspired, my brain doesn't work properly, I'm really slow and it's very tiring for my eyes.

On the other hand, working in the early morning hours is rewarding, even after a short night. After two cups of coffee, I feel really awake and productive. But after delivering the work, I then realize how tired I am...

And... maybe the fact of having two children has something to do with it as well. I really enjoy the peace of the morning hours, when everybody sleeps and I'm the only one awake!
Collapse

penny c
penny c
English to German
+ ...
get some fresh air Mar 10, 2007

what I really need when working hard is some fresh air....
so I open the window or, if I have enough time, I go running at the beach.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:19
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't take it Mar 10, 2007

I used to pick those cases but not anymore.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Just one late night ... and lots of panic! Mar 10, 2007

Most of my projects require several weeks, so I rarely find myself having to work at night unless I want to, but last October, this one convoluted book ms. kept me and the publisher's staff working nights and weekends for many days!! But we were all so pumped up and panicky about finishing that we just kept going.

However, I reached one Saturday night, and all of sudden, I couldn't take it anymore. I turned off the computer (knowing that my buddies in Mexico City were still ther
... See more
Most of my projects require several weeks, so I rarely find myself having to work at night unless I want to, but last October, this one convoluted book ms. kept me and the publisher's staff working nights and weekends for many days!! But we were all so pumped up and panicky about finishing that we just kept going.

However, I reached one Saturday night, and all of sudden, I couldn't take it anymore. I turned off the computer (knowing that my buddies in Mexico City were still there and working), and I poured a big glass of red wine, and sat in my backyard enjoying stars till I was "unwound" enough to sleep. In the long run, that was the right choice!

I loved hearing everyone's solutions and will keep all of them in mind for future use if needed!

Hope I can find a store that sells Ale-8-1 (too funny!) ....
Collapse

Gabrielle Bannard
Gabrielle Bannard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:19
French to English
Yerba Mate! Mar 10, 2007

Horacio Menendez wrote:

I use to drink mate during my working sessions.
It's a drink made of Yerba Mate and hot water.

If possible, I don't accept this kind of rush translations.

Regards,

Horacio

YES! I chose "other" and was going to share this, but Horacio beat me to it. Yerba Mate contains a compound similar to caffeine (called matteine) and it has a similar but not exact effect as caffeine. THE UPSIDE to it is that it doesn't make you feel jittery like caffeine does; it just makes you feel AWAKE and ALERT, pure and simple...and this is not just what I've read, I've experienced it over and over. Your brain is just "ON", with none of the fast heart rate, itchy eyes, fuzzy brain that caffeine still leaves you with.
The taste of the tea is acquired, however I drink it as an "iced tea" concoction called "Guayaki Organic Beverage - Yerba Mate"; there are different flavours, but my favourite is "Empower Mint".

[Edited at 2007-03-10 19:01]

DR Maryam Taghavi
DR Maryam Taghavi  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:19
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Television Mar 10, 2007

Hello All,

I chose tea (one cup very very light). Then I remembered that I always leave the TV on while translating/studying. I know it sounds stupid really and some people would criticize me for not giving the work my full attention. But really, I even wrote my PhD thesis like that. Sometimes I don't even notice what is on. This is a problem I had since childhood and my mother was always worried that I may not get anywhere doing work in front of TV. But.....

Ha
... See more
Hello All,

I chose tea (one cup very very light). Then I remembered that I always leave the TV on while translating/studying. I know it sounds stupid really and some people would criticize me for not giving the work my full attention. But really, I even wrote my PhD thesis like that. Sometimes I don't even notice what is on. This is a problem I had since childhood and my mother was always worried that I may not get anywhere doing work in front of TV. But.....

Happy Translating

Maryam
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
sleep on it Mar 11, 2007

then work it out

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Best solution suggested so far... in my opinion Mar 11, 2007

neilmac wrote:
Sleep on it
then work it out

Yes!! Absolutely. I could not agree more.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you keep awake when doing a "must be on our desk first thing in the morning translation?"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »