Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many words (non-technical) do you feel happy translating in a day (8 hours)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:08
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
4000+ Mar 11, 2007

It's possible to do it, as Henry and Jenny have told before: years of practice, well-known subjects, returning customers, convenient formats and an environment that helps you to concentrate.

Maybe it's not a number to be reached everyday, but yes: it can be done with good results.

BTW: my working day is not 8-hours long ...

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 00:08
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
I think that 3000 words for day is reasonable. Mar 11, 2007

If I know the subject well, such as Mexican divorce papers, I have no trouble translating 3000 words comfortably in an eight hour period. How many different ways can you really state that someone is getting divorced? After a while, they all become the same document with small variations. As a general rule, I leave the proofreading for the next morning. I like to sleep on my work whenever possible.

Ideally, I am happy with about 2000 words per day. I like to research, ask Kudo
... See more
If I know the subject well, such as Mexican divorce papers, I have no trouble translating 3000 words comfortably in an eight hour period. How many different ways can you really state that someone is getting divorced? After a while, they all become the same document with small variations. As a general rule, I leave the proofreading for the next morning. I like to sleep on my work whenever possible.

Ideally, I am happy with about 2000 words per day. I like to research, ask KudoZ questions, enter terminology into my databases, and save and index relevant material on my hard drive.

There are many who say that the fun in traveling is getting there. I like to say the same thing about translating.
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
If you're really good, you're always really good Mar 11, 2007

Frances Bramer wrote:

I'm glad to see it's not just me who seems to think somewhere between 1500 - 2500 words a day is reasonable, depending on the text.

I would far prefer know that a 1500 piece is perfect (checked, double-checked and even triple-checked if need be) when I press the send button, rather than whizz through 3000 words in the same time but feel rather 'nervous' after sending it off. That really doesn't make sense to me (or help the stress levels).

I generally do not take on work from agencies who somehow expect super-fast turnaround times.

I agree that a translator needs to be cautious and precise about his or her work. Nonetheless, I do believe that if you're really good at something, whatever it is, chances are that it's going to be a good product no matter how fast you do it. That is, of course as long as you're not reckless about it.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Assembly-line habits die hard Mar 11, 2007

I was first drafted as a translator for a conference facility. (Don't knock it till you've tried). We went by the chronometer, so 3000 at the end of the day was a minimum, and you were reined in by your own corrections (the proofer was just a seat away, and you didn't want to look too bad).

So to begin with, I just don't face the keyboard until I'm in my "average" condition/frame of mind. That means steady churning, no rush, no sweat, no bursts (I save those for real emergencies), b
... See more
I was first drafted as a translator for a conference facility. (Don't knock it till you've tried). We went by the chronometer, so 3000 at the end of the day was a minimum, and you were reined in by your own corrections (the proofer was just a seat away, and you didn't want to look too bad).

So to begin with, I just don't face the keyboard until I'm in my "average" condition/frame of mind. That means steady churning, no rush, no sweat, no bursts (I save those for real emergencies), but no considerable stops, either.

In my life I've met proofers and PMs who did wonders with this material, too (10,000-12,000 words proofread in an 8-hour day). But I stay clear of those who claim to proofread 3,000/hour. It's simply amateur. Even the Canadian Translation Bureau would call that overspeeding.
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Silvina's Question Mar 12, 2007

She asked:

I have a question for Henry and Jenny: When you say "4000+", are you referring only to translation or are you including reviewing and proofreading?

Yes, I am including reviewing and proofreading.

Top quality finished work, ready for delivery.

Silvina Matheu
Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Then... Mar 12, 2007

Henry Hinds wrote:

Chapeau!!!

Heike Reagan
Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Thank you Henry and Jenny Mar 12, 2007

I sometimes feel so weird and wonder what I do 'wrong', because I do much, much more than the widely quoted 2500 or so a day and apparently I do good quality because I work for what I think are good quality agencies with big-name clients, again and again and again...
I think the secret for me is that once I get started on a text I am so "into it" that I just write, don't have to think about it very hard and don't have to look up terms very often, and if I have to look anything up its usual
... See more
I sometimes feel so weird and wonder what I do 'wrong', because I do much, much more than the widely quoted 2500 or so a day and apparently I do good quality because I work for what I think are good quality agencies with big-name clients, again and again and again...
I think the secret for me is that once I get started on a text I am so "into it" that I just write, don't have to think about it very hard and don't have to look up terms very often, and if I have to look anything up its usually in my TMs.

I have a client where most texts are 100% repeats of old texts - god, I love my TM on those days.
But anyway, thank you for letting me know that I am not the only 'weirdo' out here, doing quantity AND quality...
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What is a non-technical translation? Mar 12, 2007

I must admit that, as we mostly do translations for high-tech companies in many industries or agencies who work for such companies too, the lion's share of our translations can fall into the "technical" category.

So the question is, what is a non-technical translation?

Is the poll suggesting that a technical translation takes longer than a non-technical transaltion, or rather the opposite?

Is a "non-technical translation" a PowerPoint presentation about the
... See more
I must admit that, as we mostly do translations for high-tech companies in many industries or agencies who work for such companies too, the lion's share of our translations can fall into the "technical" category.

So the question is, what is a non-technical translation?

Is the poll suggesting that a technical translation takes longer than a non-technical transaltion, or rather the opposite?

Is a "non-technical translation" a PowerPoint presentation about the songs, traditions and costumes of a town in Scotland in the early 19th century? In such I case I'd be thrilled to be able to translate 300 words a day! I just ask God to lead my steps in order to avoid contact with such work!
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:08
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, including reviewing and proofreading Mar 12, 2007

Henry Hinds wrote:

She asked:

I have a question for Henry and Jenny: When you say "4000+", are you referring only to translation or are you including reviewing and proofreading?

Yes, I'm including reviewing and proofreading too.
Nearly all the jobs I get these days are "urgent". Perhaps this is because my regular clients know that I'm a fast worker and reserve the urgent jobs for me - so it's a "self-fulfilling" situation.
This is not meant to be bragging - I was just answering the question and I didn't think 4,000 words a day was so unusually fast. I know another translator who says she does more than that - not every day, perhaps, but in an "emergency". For me, a "technical" text would be a text on a subject that isn't one of my specialities - e.g. gas turbine specifications - for which I'd need to do masses of searches. Obviously, I try to avoid such texts if possible.
Best regards,
Jenny.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Diminishing returns Mar 12, 2007

I can comfortably and easily translate 2,000 words in a 4-hour day. If I work 8 hours, it's hard work to do 3,000.

I have coined a term, "exponential non-completion mode" which means that, for each unit of time (e,g. 1 hour), you complete 1/2 of the remaining work! After 4 hours, I slip into that mode.

I try to work 4 hours a day and then do something different in the afternoon.

I'm using a fairly liberal definition of "non-technical" here as most of my te
... See more
I can comfortably and easily translate 2,000 words in a 4-hour day. If I work 8 hours, it's hard work to do 3,000.

I have coined a term, "exponential non-completion mode" which means that, for each unit of time (e,g. 1 hour), you complete 1/2 of the remaining work! After 4 hours, I slip into that mode.

I try to work 4 hours a day and then do something different in the afternoon.

I'm using a fairly liberal definition of "non-technical" here as most of my texts could be called technical but they are in areas that I am very familiar with. I find marketing texts much harder.

Terry.
Collapse

Marija Stojanovich
Marija Stojanovich  Identity Verified
Serbia
Serbian to English
+ ...
4,000 Mar 12, 2007

After 6 years of working 7 days a week, 8 or more hours a day, my average output is 500 words per hour. As I accept only jobs well within my area of specialization, and tend to isolate completely while I'm working (i.e. I work mostly the graveyard shift, with headphones and IMs turned off), it's not nearly as impossible as it may seem.

However, if "happy" means "so it feels more like fun than actually working", I'd say 2,500. Then I could finish all my work while my kids are at the
... See more
After 6 years of working 7 days a week, 8 or more hours a day, my average output is 500 words per hour. As I accept only jobs well within my area of specialization, and tend to isolate completely while I'm working (i.e. I work mostly the graveyard shift, with headphones and IMs turned off), it's not nearly as impossible as it may seem.

However, if "happy" means "so it feels more like fun than actually working", I'd say 2,500. Then I could finish all my work while my kids are at the kindergarden, and actually get some sleep at night!
Collapse

638556 (X)
638556 (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
2000-2500 Mar 12, 2007

I am just starting out and I am trying hard to focus on getting a quality translation as I don't yet have a lot of experience. But I have noticed that I am gradually increasing my output....little by little!

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:08
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
There are translations and translations. Mar 12, 2007

At times, a single phrase will drive me crazy because I can’t grasp its meaning; or, conversely, the meaning is clear but proper wording won’t come. And similarly, there are jobs with not a single obscure word, well structured and logical, the area is either familiar or uncomplicated, and in this case the speed of translation is only limited by one’s typing skills. I once did 18,000 words over 24 hours (10 finger blind typing, gallons of coffee consumed, absolutely straightforward text in ... See more
At times, a single phrase will drive me crazy because I can’t grasp its meaning; or, conversely, the meaning is clear but proper wording won’t come. And similarly, there are jobs with not a single obscure word, well structured and logical, the area is either familiar or uncomplicated, and in this case the speed of translation is only limited by one’s typing skills. I once did 18,000 words over 24 hours (10 finger blind typing, gallons of coffee consumed, absolutely straightforward text in a word.doc, with no formatting issues, so the most simple job one can imagine.) Happy? Oh yes – to get rid of it! Or King’s ‘Rose Madder’ translated in 22 days… Happy? Yes, and absolutely exhausted. Sure, this turnaround rate cannot be maintained permanently.

It’s probably like sports: I can hardly see myself running out of 10 seconds at a 100 m distance, but there are a few who do. Same with translations; and sometimes one only needs a force majeure situation to discover that his or her capability can be way above the usual 2,000-3,000 words a day

P.S. I found this thread after doing a 500 words job in 25 minutes
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many words (non-technical) do you feel happy translating in a day (8 hours)?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »