Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Would you like your children to be translators when they grow up?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
A better life? Mar 15, 2007

[quote]Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

I am astonished about the low number of "Yes" replies.

I've also noticed that for the last several hours the no answers have been leading the yes answers.
Are many of us like the dockworkers, miners, manual/ domestic laborers of the last centuries?

Are we hoping our children find a "better" life than ours?

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:32
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It would be nice Mar 15, 2007

I would like my girl to be a translator, but of course I will never force her. She's growing up almost trilingual, so why not? She could also help me with my growing family business. But I think my daughter is developing a natural skill towards either veterinary/medicine or painting.

Almost anything she decides to be, will make me happy

[Edited at 2007-03-15 17:12]

Arianna Tremayne
Arianna Tremayne  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:32
German to English
+ ...
The choice of the children Mar 15, 2007

I completely agree with Emanuelle!

Emmanuelle Hingant wrote:

I don't think I'd really have my say in their decision. They will probably do whatever they want and I'll support them as much as I can.

I think they should choose a job in their passion, as I did with translation. If they can afford to work in what they love, then they can only be happy.

I say all this but I don't have children...

I am not in the business of pushing a child into the direction of the parent's profession. If my child wants to be a plumber or painter and decorator, so be it.

Any choice will be supported!

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 20:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, of course! Mar 15, 2007

I love my children, I love my job, why wouldn't I be thrilled at their being translators? Of course, I would be equally thrilled at any of thousands of other great choices they could make!

My three children are already adults. All three have done some translating, and two have done some interpreting (ASL as well as Spanish and English).

One has neither the aptitude nor the temperament for a full-time language-related career.

One has the aptitude but not the
... See more
I love my children, I love my job, why wouldn't I be thrilled at their being translators? Of course, I would be equally thrilled at any of thousands of other great choices they could make!

My three children are already adults. All three have done some translating, and two have done some interpreting (ASL as well as Spanish and English).

One has neither the aptitude nor the temperament for a full-time language-related career.

One has the aptitude but not the temperament.

The third has both.

Each already has a rewarding career. I doubt any of them will translate/interpret except on an occasional basis or as a volunteer.

But then, I became a translator late in life, so who knows?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A better life? Mar 15, 2007

John Cutler wrote:
I've also noticed that for the last several hours the no answers have been leading the yes answers.
Are many of us like the dockworkers, miners, manual/ domestic laborers of the last centuries?

Are we hoping our children find a "better" life than ours?

Honestly, I don't think our life is that awful that we don't desire it for our children! And actually if any of my kids decided to continue my work, he would inherit a quite nice termbase and some customers to start with! The easy way... "Thanks daddy!".

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
I respect my children Mar 15, 2007

I always tried to help my children become independent human beings. Out of respect for their decision about their lives, my answer was: It depends.

It depends on what they want. It is a bit late though, one is a Navy pilot and the other is an art curator. It is not hard to imagine that I would rather have my son sitting in front of a computer all day long than flying a fighter jet or helicopter, but I respect his decision. That is his passion, as mine is translating.

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Yes Mar 15, 2007

The eldest is already a Translation student and a Proz member http://www.proz.com/pro/62155 Can't wait for her completion of the course and taking some workload off my back
Another one loves Spanish language and culture, and even though she declares herself too lively t
... See more
The eldest is already a Translation student and a Proz member http://www.proz.com/pro/62155 Can't wait for her completion of the course and taking some workload off my back
Another one loves Spanish language and culture, and even though she declares herself too lively to spend her life at a PC, who knows ...?
And the little one has a vivid interest in linguistics and artificial languages, also enjoying translations of the materials useful to herself or her friends and writing own small pieces in the native language. Beware, her side hobby is reading Proz forums
Collapse

Denise DeVries
Denise DeVries  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
They say it's "too difficult" Mar 16, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I would like for them to do whatever makes them happy - if that's translation, so be it. I have no regrets, so I wouldn't be against it.

One huge advantage: they would have a mentor, and one that is really motivated in helping them to be successful. Nothing like motherly - or fatherly - love!

My grown children have tried to help me with my work, and they have the skill to do so, but they say it's "too hard," and they don't want to try. I love the challenge, but apparently challenge doesn't make them happy.
Maybe I'll have better luck with the grandchildren.

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
The best laid plans... Mar 16, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

I have it all carefully planned out for them:

The first will be a Nobel-prize winning physicist,
the second will be secretary-general of the UN,
the third will be an Olympic gold medalist.

Translation doesn't fit into these plans I'm afraid.

Love it!!!!

But they will all have translation as a back up, or to do in their free time...

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
The best laid plans II... Mar 16, 2007

Actually, they should choose what they want to do... It never works out when parents pick their children's path.

Funny, my father (a cardiologist) always wanted me to go into science. Actually, to quote him: "you should study medicine, after that, you are prepared to do anything!!!"

As an aside, I can tell you he was a successful doctor, loved and respected by all. Yet, he "moonlighted" as the translator of a medical magazine, I suppose he did it to "relax".

... See more
Actually, they should choose what they want to do... It never works out when parents pick their children's path.

Funny, my father (a cardiologist) always wanted me to go into science. Actually, to quote him: "you should study medicine, after that, you are prepared to do anything!!!"

As an aside, I can tell you he was a successful doctor, loved and respected by all. Yet, he "moonlighted" as the translator of a medical magazine, I suppose he did it to "relax".

I began my university studies in Biology, and ended up in Literature and Translation. (And my Simon and Shuster is the one he used, never had to buy it!).

But I do believe that if you are a truly multilingual family, and your children live in a multilingual and multicultural environment, there is a natural path into translation.

So, who knows what might happen? My 18 year old son, the "future doctor" (my dad must be smiling somewhere), who next year will be a freshman in Biomedical Engineering, is completely bilingual and since the first grade in school has been interpreting for his classmates and translating stuff for school.
Collapse

Carolin Haase
Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why not? Mar 16, 2007

But in the fisr place, I'd like them (so far, I've only got a little daughter) to be happy and satisfied with what they do. If it's translation, ok, that's fine.

So far, she's only in kindergarten and still has a lot of time to decide.

Nice poll, btw!

All the best,
Carolin

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
He'd be good at it... Mar 16, 2007

My son is 28 and has already had a 'checkered' career from biochemistry to physics to computer programming...

He would be good at translating if he tried it, and he did actually interpret informally between English and German at a university conference. (His first language is Danish, but he is pretty bilingual with English, especially after 5 years in the UK.) We have always been very language conscious and played with language to teach him English when he was little. We couldn't s
... See more
My son is 28 and has already had a 'checkered' career from biochemistry to physics to computer programming...

He would be good at translating if he tried it, and he did actually interpret informally between English and German at a university conference. (His first language is Danish, but he is pretty bilingual with English, especially after 5 years in the UK.) We have always been very language conscious and played with language to teach him English when he was little. We couldn't stop ourselves! And he read everything in print that came his way.

My father was a part-time translator and language teacher, but I did not come to it until I was over 40. I think my father was delighted that I finally settled down

It's entirely up to my son whether he wants to translate professionally, but I'd be very happy. Collaboration would probably not amount to much - his science is way over my head!

I voted 'yes' but don't expect it to happen.

Collapse

Heike Kurtz
Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
certainly not the worst thing they could do... Mar 16, 2007

I enjoy my profession very much - not only the work itself, but also the fact of being self-employed and therefore able to schedule my work according to the requirements of my "other" life as a mother and housewife.

Therefore, if they decided to become translators, I would certainly be happy - also because I could support them, then. (Which would be difficult if they chose to become Physicians or so...).

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
N/A - not my choice Mar 16, 2007

Hi,
I didn't answer "yes" because even if I like my job a lot, it's my personal choice and I would like my children to do exactly the same: find something they will enjoy doing for a living.
I have a big family so I had a chance to discover lots of different jobs before I chose my career because everyone is doing something different.
I didn't answer "yes" because I'm pretty sure that at least my daughter has no big interest in foreign languages. My 4-year old son he may have th
... See more
Hi,
I didn't answer "yes" because even if I like my job a lot, it's my personal choice and I would like my children to do exactly the same: find something they will enjoy doing for a living.
I have a big family so I had a chance to discover lots of different jobs before I chose my career because everyone is doing something different.
I didn't answer "yes" because I'm pretty sure that at least my daughter has no big interest in foreign languages. My 4-year old son he may have the abilities to become a translator, but I won't be disappointed if he chooses something else.
I'll try to help them find the job they want, as long as they're good at it and enjoy doing it - and it's honest work and they earn good money
Marie-Céline
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Father translators Mar 16, 2007

Yesterday I noticed that the no answers surpassed the yes answers (they still are in the lead).

Today, I can't help but notice that of the 28 answers up to the moment, only 3 have been from men.

Don't fathers who are translators take an interest in their children's futures?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you like your children to be translators when they grow up?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »