Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Would you be willing to move to another country to do your job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 07:00
SITE STAFF
Apr 11, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you be willing to move to another country to do your job?".

This poll was originally submitted by Laura Leal

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes gladly, but it depends on my family Apr 11, 2007

Since I couldn’t give two answers I combined them both in the title. Personally, I wouldn’t have the slightest qualm about leaving where I am.
I’m happy enough here and it’s a very nice place to live but I think I’ve got a certain pioneer spirit that would be more than willing to move from one place to another for my job or practically any other reason. Expecting a wife and 3 children, who were all born here, to understand that is, however, a horse of a different colour!

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Already done it Apr 11, 2007

In fact I moved to the States when I was hired by the translation department of a major software company... after which I remained here.

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
French to English
+ ...
Likewise... Apr 11, 2007

... gladly, but I have a partner who has a more geographically fixed job than I do. I satisfy my wanderlust (which is not that great) by going abroad for training and holidays and to see relatives.

rousselures  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:00
English to French
Why? Apr 11, 2007

I had to answer "other", I love to travel but I want to choose where I'm going, not have it decided for me. Translation is great because with the internet, you can do it from anywhere! I am willing to relocate but only for non job-related reasons!

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:00
French to Spanish
+ ...
No. Apr 11, 2007

I've lived in Belgium, France, Spain, Switzerland, Cuba and Mexico and moved -too- many times.
I would work abroad for a specific project, of course, but not stay there. I'm very well settled in Mexico.

Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:00
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
no Apr 11, 2007

I agree with Juan, I don't mind traveling (I actually do that) but I like living in my country, so no, I wouldn't be willing to move. Well, I might be willing if I received and extremely tempting offer of course, "extremely" being the operative word there

Deschant
Local time: 15:00
Constantly moving Apr 11, 2007

I've selected the option "I'm constantly moving" because over the past 7 years I've lived in 7 different cities located in 4 different countries (Spain, Italy, Germany, and England)! However not all my moves were for work reasons but also for academic ones. I will most probably remain in the United Kingdom for at least 2,5 more years to finish my PhD but I'm curious to see which will be my next move afterwards!

megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Apr 11, 2007

I agree with the previous posts. I simply love traveling... and going back home after some time. I like it, and I can't imagine an offer tempting enough to move too far

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gladly Apr 12, 2007

I would like to move to one of the following countries:

Venezuela
Italy
Argentina
Lebanon

only if I can get large and constant projects.

Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Spanish to English
+ ...
definitely, yes! Apr 12, 2007

I'd love to move to another country. As Yaotl said, "only if I can get large and constant projects."

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
English to Spanish
Yesss, to a place like this... Apr 12, 2007

One day in the near future...

[Edited at 2007-04-12 04:14]

Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:00
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
almost all of the answers... Apr 12, 2007

which means, I've travelled for the past 10 years, different places, different jobs...up to when I found my other half in the other half of the world (I'm from Italy and he's Australian), so now I'm constantly moving between the two countries...and I'd love to keep travelling and moving (whether for work reasons or not), but now I've also got other commitments, so it depends on my family, too..
well, that's about why I could have selected almost all of the answers...

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I voted 'other' because I really don't know! Apr 12, 2007

I have moved about a good deal, and would consider it.

But in fact i live in a fairly ideal situation - in my source language country, where I can follow all the political situations and social developments that affect the language. It is also easy for me to go to excellent training days etc. at the university or with other linguists who work in just my languages and interest areas.

At the same time, I have access to my target language on TV and the media, visits home, etc. It would be hard to find anywhere in another country with such good opportunities precisely for me.

Perhaps I should have voted 'no'.
But in these days of portable computers and Internet connections, you should never say never!

I hope lots of you are just as fortunate!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you be willing to move to another country to do your job?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs