Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: "Traduttore traditore" do you agree?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 17:05
Italian to English
Simple-minded sentence Apr 21, 2007

I think that "Traduttore traditore" is a bit FORTE as an Italian would say. In ther words, it's a harsh expression in any language. I like to think the author just played around with the Ts at the beginning of the 2 terms.

Rob

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:05
English
+ ...
Two years later . . . Feb 8, 2010

Raffaella Cornacchini wrote:

should a translation be fluent and unfaithful, although deliberately so, as Marie- Helene, or the other way round? Possibly one should have the best of both worlds, but I would like to stress that good translations are also compared to "belles infidéles"

Nicolas Perrot d'Ablancourt - Wikipédia[1] Aussi, selon Voltaire, Perrot d'Ablancourt est-il un « traducteur élégant et dont on appela chaque traduction la belle infidèle. [2] » ...
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Perrot_d'Ablancourt - 20k - Copia cache - Pagine simili

and my Latin teacher in high school always said "ad sententiam non ad verbum" (try to render the meaning of the whole sentence and do not translate literally) when she tried to explain how Latin (or Greek) should be translated. That was when translating started to be fun...
raffaella

I came across this thread long after the conversation had died, but nevertheless have to add my two cents in the form of a few quotes from my Personal tab that I think are relevant here:

"The original is unfaithful to the translation."
(Jorge Luis Borges)

"Translation is like a woman. If it is beautiful, it is not faithful.
If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful."
(Yevgeny Yevtushenko)

"Woe to the makers of literal translations, who by rendering
every word weaken the meaning! It is indeed by so doing
that we can say the letter kills and the spirit gives life."
(Voltaire)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: "Traduttore traditore" do you agree?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »