Poll: The oldest working translator/interpreter you know personally is between...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 26, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "The oldest working translator/interpreter you know personally is between...".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
60-69 Apr 26, 2007

In fact 69, if memory serves me correctly.

Also happens to be the best Dutch to English translator I know, reflected in rates and clients most could only dream of ...

[Edited at 2007-04-26 13:36]

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Above 80 Apr 26, 2007

In fact, he retired years ago and is not at all computer friendly. He is Indian from Chandranagore (West Bengal) and is regarded as an excellent translator for French - English - French. He used to work at All India Radio (as a freelancer) till we discovered that it was too dangerous for him to walk alone in the night (up to the official vehicle). His eyesight was failing and so was his voice. But he is an excellent translator and a good teacher (I learnt a lot for him).

Those w
... See more
In fact, he retired years ago and is not at all computer friendly. He is Indian from Chandranagore (West Bengal) and is regarded as an excellent translator for French - English - French. He used to work at All India Radio (as a freelancer) till we discovered that it was too dangerous for him to walk alone in the night (up to the official vehicle). His eyesight was failing and so was his voice. But he is an excellent translator and a good teacher (I learnt a lot for him).

Those who know him respect him for the quality of his work.

He loves his work and so he continues to work as a translator...
Collapse

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:58
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
<50 Apr 26, 2007

Personally, I know only two translators - one in Padang (my hometown where real translators are really rare) and another one in Jakarta (I met him when sitting for translator accreditation examination at Universitas Indonesia).

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not quite certain! Apr 26, 2007

Actually one senior translator we have worked with for many years is another Proz member in Mexico. We are not really sure about her age and would not ask, but she is a proud grandmother and a wonderful translator. We would not count on anybody else for international Spanish expertise!

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dead :-) Apr 26, 2007

Right now, I hardly know any translators personally.

But the first translator I worked with was veteran Egyptian translator of around 80 - and that was back in 1997. He died in 2005 (probably in his late eighties) and I heard from a fellow translator that he had never stopped working.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
60-69 Apr 26, 2007

He celebrated his 66th birthday a few weeks ago.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Some people. Apr 26, 2007

Isn't Jack Doughty in his 70-ies?
I don't know whether or not Mrs. Patrica Van der Elst is still an interpreter at the E.U or whether or not she is still alive. She interpreted the Nurnberg-trials and must be in her 80-ies now?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not me Apr 26, 2007

I can recall at least three who are or must be in their 80's, including one of my former professors who I helped with a Kudoz question a few days ago.

I'm only 66, so I still have a ways to go...

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
60-69 Apr 27, 2007

I know one very well - me - and I know several Proz colleagues who fall into that age group as well.

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
My dear neighbor! Apr 27, 2007

She is 70, a terrific translator and the vice-president of the association of Chilean translators and interpreters. She is fully trilingual (FR-EN-ES), and I should say she works harder than I do (all-nighters seem to be her favorite treat!)

[Edited at 2007-04-27 06:16]

Andrée Goreux
Andrée Goreux  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:58
French to English
+ ...
¡Muchas gracias vecina! Merci beaucoup! Thanks awfully! Apr 27, 2007

María Eugenia Wachtendorff wrote:

She is 70, a terrific translator and the vice-president of the association of Chilean translators and interpreters. She is fully trilingual (FR-EN-ES), and I should say she works harder than I do (all-nighters seem to be her favorite treat!)

[Edited at 2007-04-27 06:16]

¡Qué más puedo decir! Cariños, Andrée

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
70+ May 1, 2007

Two teachers of mine were in their 70s and still working.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The oldest working translator/interpreter you know personally is between...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »