Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you give pet names to your computers or other inanimate objects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 4, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you give pet names to your computers or other inanimate objects?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nicole Schnell

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you give pet names to your computers or other inanimate objects?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nicole Schnell

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
Local time: 08:26
French to English
+ ...
Are toys us? May 4, 2007

No, unless "inanimate objects" includes stuffed toys....

[Edited at 2007-05-04 15:10]

Some say my cat sleeps so much he is an inanimate object and he has several names (all nice!)...

[Edited at 2007-05-04 15:47]

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not 'pet names', ... May 4, 2007

... but when the system slows down or goes wacko, I spontaneously give my pc every imaginable name in the book

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 00:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
So do I May 4, 2007

Andrea Riffo wrote:

... but when the system slows down or goes wacko, I spontaneously give my pc every imaginable name in the book

I also call it imaginable name in the book...but only after a while. I first try giving my PC sweet names. If the problem persists, then my voice changes while using the same sweet names. Finally, my names and my temper go crazy, that's when everybody runs away.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A love story May 4, 2007

Giving something or someone a pet name implies that there’s a certain amount of affection involved.

I’ve never become so enamoured of a computer but I know that it can occur between men and their cars (think of the rock band Queen’s song, “I’m in love with my car”).

My first car was an over-the-hill, 17-year-old Austin Mini that I called “Little Blue”. She died a slow creaky, leaky, agonising death and although I’ve had several other cars over the yea
... See more
Giving something or someone a pet name implies that there’s a certain amount of affection involved.

I’ve never become so enamoured of a computer but I know that it can occur between men and their cars (think of the rock band Queen’s song, “I’m in love with my car”).

My first car was an over-the-hill, 17-year-old Austin Mini that I called “Little Blue”. She died a slow creaky, leaky, agonising death and although I’ve had several other cars over the years, only LB received a name.

I’ve been able to put the pieces of my life back together now and these days I’m in love with my bicycle but it’s/he’s/she’s still as yet un-named.
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I guess giving pet names is a 'guy thing' May 4, 2007

I will not get into details

I don't give pet names to anything, and I don't give every name in the book to my PC. I do use my imagination when I am talking to software, though. My PC never gives me trouble (I spend time on preventing accidents) but software, namely Trados, sometimes gives me a headache and then, I don't even need to look into the book to use the names in it...
See more
I will not get into details

I don't give pet names to anything, and I don't give every name in the book to my PC. I do use my imagination when I am talking to software, though. My PC never gives me trouble (I spend time on preventing accidents) but software, namely Trados, sometimes gives me a headache and then, I don't even need to look into the book to use the names in it
Collapse

Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Italy
Italian to English
Strangely enough, it does have a name May 4, 2007

apart from calling it every name in the book and under the sun when it decides to do something silly, my computer does actually have a name...

It is called "Peon".

"Peon" replaced "Caio" a year ago... and yes(!) "Caio" in turn replaced a previous computer known as " Ganesh".

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Ralph May 4, 2007

Inanimate objects that are not behaving correctly, or that cannot be found at the moment are all addressed as 'Ralph'. A name that I find expresses annoyance (apologies to anyone actually named Ralph).
The cars have no nicknames, nor do the bikes. The dog's nickname is goofball, the kid's nickname is Maus.

eesegura
eesegura  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not to my pc... May 4, 2007

...but our two cars have names. The '92 Accord is 'el Bebé' because the original owner maintained it so well that it was like her baby. The '98 Accord is 'el Hermanito' because it is also an Accord, but younger. Come to think of it, this may have been my husband's idea...can't remember anymore!

[Edited at 2007-05-04 15:35]

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes I do May 4, 2007

And when I tell people about it they stare at me in disbelief.

And to add to their confusion, I don't use pet names, just real ones.

Our (old) car's name is Rogelio, our Pc is called Teresa and our laptop is Josefina. Years ago I would go everywhere with Margarita, my bicycle, and during my training times as a teenager I used my watch Walter (no longer among us, I must say ).

My wife is not v
... See more
And when I tell people about it they stare at me in disbelief.

And to add to their confusion, I don't use pet names, just real ones.

Our (old) car's name is Rogelio, our Pc is called Teresa and our laptop is Josefina. Years ago I would go everywhere with Margarita, my bicycle, and during my training times as a teenager I used my watch Walter (no longer among us, I must say ).

My wife is not very fond of this practice, but "her problem" is that she loves me and accepts me the way I am.

Take care, and have a good weekend.

Andres
Collapse

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
I love my car May 4, 2007

Not only men can have an affection for cars. I am loyal to Hyundai. The first one I had was Accent 1.3 I simply called it Akcent (having the same meaning in Czech as in English). The new one is Elantra 2.0 diesel and I call her Eliza (or "Elishka" in Czech). "Put in Elishka. Will you drive Elishka? Where is Elishka?..."
Elishka is a full member of our family

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 01:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
My computer's name is Kitt. May 4, 2007

I love cars; perhaps you remember Knight Rider, here is the reason.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
network May 4, 2007

I have to name my computers on the office network.
(they have names like velho, darthvader, deathstar, arjuna)

and, I give my cars names, and stuff like that.

the Mrs. gave a name to my....nevermind...

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:26
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Lorelei May 4, 2007

Veronika Masopustová wrote:

Not only men can have an affection for cars. I am loyal to Hyundai. The first one I had was Accent 1.3 I simply called it Akcent (having the same meaning in Czech as in English). The new one is Elantra 2.0 diesel and I call her Eliza (or "Elishka" in Czech). "Put in Elishka. Will you drive Elishka? Where is Elishka?..."
Elishka is a full member of our family

My car is called Lorelei because she's a beautiful German and sings along seductively - so it's not just men who name their cars. She's one of the great joys of my life and the product of a lifetime's hard work.
My computer is unnamed, but I do talk to it cajolingly when it's a bit slow sometimes " Come along, darling, wake up!" I plead.
Regards,
Jenny.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
l´amour informatique May 4, 2007

Andrea Riffo wrote:

That´s why I use Linux...none of those nasty windows viruses, intrusions or crashes...
I LOVE my computers and give them affectionate loving names (like Darth Vader) and caress them lovingly when nobody is looking.
(my preciousssss......)

[Edited at 2007-05-04 16:29]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you give pet names to your computers or other inanimate objects?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »