Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many different passwords do you use?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 7, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many different passwords do you use?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stretching my memory May 7, 2007

Since no one is actually asking me what my passwords are, I assume this isn’t a veiled attempt at phishing

I use 4 different passwords (only because security experts advise against using the same one for everything) but I don’t think I could possibly remember any more than that. A nice corollary question for people like me who use more than 1 would
... See more
Since no one is actually asking me what my passwords are, I assume this isn’t a veiled attempt at phishing

I use 4 different passwords (only because security experts advise against using the same one for everything) but I don’t think I could possibly remember any more than that. A nice corollary question for people like me who use more than 1 would be, “How often do you forget one of your passwords?”
Collapse

Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
roboform May 7, 2007

Use RoboForm (http://www.roboform.com) and you will be able to use unique passwords for all your sites

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
More than 5 May 7, 2007

They are usually variations of one another

John Cutler wrote:

A nice corollary question for people like me who use more than 1 would be, “How often do you forget one of your passwords?”

Very often

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:57
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Plenty. May 7, 2007

That's how it works in the US. Your bank doesn't want to see your face, the phone company doesn't want to deal with you in person and, oh hell! beware of calling your credit card issuer even if you want to buy additional services. Shudder..

So you do everything online, using quite a variety of passwords.

During the last couple of months I had the pleasure of translating a huge eLearning website about data security. I learned how hackers, fishers and social engineers wo
... See more
That's how it works in the US. Your bank doesn't want to see your face, the phone company doesn't want to deal with you in person and, oh hell! beware of calling your credit card issuer even if you want to buy additional services. Shudder..

So you do everything online, using quite a variety of passwords.

During the last couple of months I had the pleasure of translating a huge eLearning website about data security. I learned how hackers, fishers and social engineers work, to the detail. First thing I did was creating new passwords, making sure that none of them resemble each other and for heavens' sake, do not put your trust in one single website to manage all of your passwords, it sounds too good to be safe. The website might be nice and proper, just guess what hackers were waiting for.
Collapse

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
... May 7, 2007

Nicole Schnell wrote:

do not put your trust in one single website to manage all of your passwords, it sounds too good to be safe. The website might be nice and proper, just guess what hackers were waiting for.

Is there any such website at all?

[Modifié le 2007-05-07 17:21]

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
5+ May 7, 2007

Simply because every single site insists on its own password format: some want at least 8 characters, others insist on at least one figure, still others make you change the damn thing every 6 months - and no, you can't go back to the old one! I appreciate it's for my own security, but it's a nightmare.

Yves Ferrer (X)
Yves Ferrer (X)
Local time: 11:57
English to French
+ ...
please remind me? May 7, 2007

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many different passwords do you use?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Please can anyone remind me where I filed my passwords list? and how to open the page?
Yves

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:57
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Several ones May 7, 2007

Natalya Zelikova wrote:

Is there any such website at all?

[Modifié le 2007-05-07 17:21]

Several ones that offer safe data transfer, safe data storage and what not. Why would you allow other people to manage your passwords?

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
... May 7, 2007

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Several ones that offer safe data transfer, safe data storage and what not. Why would you allow other people to manage your passwords?

I think I wouldn't... I just didn't know that there are such sites, where you have to keep your login info online...
I manage passwords with a programme (not online one, and not with a website).

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Password management tool May 7, 2007

It is called Darn! Passwords!
I can have as many passwords as I wish, random-generate them and drag and drop them where needed. Password data are encrypted, and I just need to remember one password to enter the tool.
After 2 years of use, I must have more than 50 different usernames/passwords.

Philippe

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
A few... May 7, 2007

Like Andrea's mine are variations, but I still break the rules and use password combinations considered unsafe (dates, names etc.) At least I disguise them a little and throw in some extra stuff like capital and small letters in unnatural combinations and some non-letter characters.

Somehow I did not find Roboform helpful. I think the best way is to keep a piece of paper under your mattress with the stuff written down (I am serious - keeping a Word file on the computer is obviously
... See more
Like Andrea's mine are variations, but I still break the rules and use password combinations considered unsafe (dates, names etc.) At least I disguise them a little and throw in some extra stuff like capital and small letters in unnatural combinations and some non-letter characters.

Somehow I did not find Roboform helpful. I think the best way is to keep a piece of paper under your mattress with the stuff written down (I am serious - keeping a Word file on the computer is obviously not safe).

I managed to forget my passwords for some of my email accounts which I accessed through Outlook. I then tried to get to the accounts via the web site and surprise!

Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Why isn't a Word file safe? May 7, 2007

PAS wrote:

Somehow I did not find Roboform helpful. I think the best way is to keep a piece of paper under your mattress with the stuff written down (I am serious - keeping a Word file on the computer is obviously not safe).

Pawel Skalinski

Other than the fact that others may have access to your computer, why wouldn't a Word file be safe?

Just curious.

Amy

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
That's reason enough May 7, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:
Other than the fact that others may have access to your computer

That's the only reason. If you're connected, you're vulnerable.

P.A.S.

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Too many, but enough May 7, 2007

More than 5, for sure, and even more than 10. Because each site insists on putting their own rules to both user name and password.

I just entered one of those sites today, and the log in page insisted on me changing my old loved password by another with at least 1 uppercase, 1 lowercase, 1 symbol, 1 number.... HARGH! Now I have a new one to remember. I hate those paternalistic sites!!

... but I still tell my customers to develop their sites like that, so that a few Int
... See more
More than 5, for sure, and even more than 10. Because each site insists on putting their own rules to both user name and password.

I just entered one of those sites today, and the log in page insisted on me changing my old loved password by another with at least 1 uppercase, 1 lowercase, 1 symbol, 1 number.... HARGH! Now I have a new one to remember. I hate those paternalistic sites!!

... but I still tell my customers to develop their sites like that, so that a few Internet users may hate me a bit

I keep them in my head and, before today, I never forgot one (maybe I will start with that created today).

Ruth @ MW

[Edited at 2007-05-07 19:28]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many different passwords do you use?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »