Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many custom macros do you use?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 20:27
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Macros are a must for translators May 8, 2007

Aside from the standard Word macros, and those I create in Dragon NaturallySpeaking, I also use a program called Schedule Wlzard. That way, you are not limited to using just Word when translating. I am constantly creating hotkeys that trigger macros to add features to software applications item I normally use. For instance, I often need to copy a portion of text in the source row of SDLX, move over to the target row, and paste it at the end of ... See more
Aside from the standard Word macros, and those I create in Dragon NaturallySpeaking, I also use a program called Schedule Wlzard. That way, you are not limited to using just Word when translating. I am constantly creating hotkeys that trigger macros to add features to software applications item I normally use. For instance, I often need to copy a portion of text in the source row of SDLX, move over to the target row, and paste it at the end of the target row. This involves at least three keystrokes. I'm able to accomplish it in just one with the macro. I also use Schedule Wizard to automate tasks. That way, I can concentrate on my work, and not on these little, mundane things.

I discuss macros and many other interesting topics in my newsletter for Spanish translators. If you would like to subscribe, just drop me a line.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:27
English to German
+ ...
Macros in TagEditor May 8, 2007

Cecilia Falk wrote:
Very useful would be an automated way to do this in TagEditor, where (AFAIK) you can't use any macros?

I am using MacroMagic for Déjà Vu X and MacroX for TagEditor.
I think there is a macro recorder for any application, you just have to make sure that their shortcuts will really work together.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
1 macro May 8, 2007

I use one macro to change the format font of line numbers in Word. I used to do the whole process step by step but when I realised I was losing my time with many repetitions I decided to implement it with a macro.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Reformatting numbers May 8, 2007

aceavila - Noni wrote:

NR_Stedman wrote:

I use an excellent little macro for changing commas into decimal points and spaces between series of 000 into commas.
1,26 becomes 1.26 and 1 000 becomes 1,000
This saves time in nearly every Fr- En technical translation

This sounds extremely useful - I am always trying to persuade clients to do this for themselves, because I feel awful charging for it, but am not prepared not to.

Wd love to know the name of the macro if it is commercially available - or are normal human beings capable of creating it?!

See the following articles of mine on using Word's wildcard search and replace to solve precisely this kind of problem:

How to use wildcard and format searches in MSWord to make sure all your numbers are formatted correctly

and

Another useful wildcard search

...and of course, it is possble (though not exactly very simple) to incorporate wildcard searches within Word macros.

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 10:27
Italian to English
The joys of 'new' tech May 8, 2007

Aaah, the joys of getting to know the 'new' tech tools out there. Thank you Cecilia.

Arianna Tremayne
Arianna Tremayne  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:27
German to English
+ ...
Appetizer May 8, 2007

Hi Cecilia,

Not that I am working with macros a lot - I know of them and the CAT program I work with has them - but this site is a real appetizer for learning more about them!

Cecilia Falk wrote:

Hello again,
Here are a few more links regarding macros:

Best regards,
Cecilia

So I will bookmark it and look at all the links and - hopefully - can answer 'yes' when the next poll like that comes along!

Thanks a lot!

Best,

Arianna

Silvina Matheu
Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Used to May 9, 2007

I used to create macros in my pre-Trados era; but now I'm afraid they might interfere with Trados or Wordfast. Too many things!
So I only use predetermined ones now.

I will have a look at all links you are giving here. Thank you!

Silvina

Marta Riosalido
Marta Riosalido
Spain
Local time: 02:27
German to Spanish
+ ...
Hello May 9, 2007

I always thought that a macros was some kind of dangerous virus....

M.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 02:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you everyone May 9, 2007

Thank you so much to everyone for the wealth of useful information that you are putting into your responses! Looking forward to having time to follow it all up. And thanks to Cecilia for setting this one up.
Noni

Michael Roberts
Michael Roberts  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:27
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I've done a couple of TRADOS cleanup macros May 15, 2007

I've had some recurring problems with TRADOS in Word, so I hacked out a couple of semi-automated macro helpers about a year ago (specifically to find and help fix bookmarks which TRADOS had screwed up, and some font fixes, too.) But even with those, I found that it's usually much easier to use TagEditor to work with bookmark-rich files, because it doesn't screw them up at all.

And I see Cecilia has already found and linked my text box search macro (it always irritated me that Word
... See more
I've had some recurring problems with TRADOS in Word, so I hacked out a couple of semi-automated macro helpers about a year ago (specifically to find and help fix bookmarks which TRADOS had screwed up, and some font fixes, too.) But even with those, I found that it's usually much easier to use TagEditor to work with bookmark-rich files, because it doesn't screw them up at all.

And I see Cecilia has already found and linked my text box search macro (it always irritated me that Word considers text boxes separate extents of text -- what bonehead thought *that* was a good idea?)

When I want to do *serious* macro work, I write Perl scripts to read TTX files as XML, do "something" with them, and write them back out. That's always fraught with peril, but you can do some amazing stuff that way.

You know what I always wanted to do, though? It would still be a great idea. I would like to put together a list of Useful Translation Macros as an open-source project in a single Word template, and get a lot of people thinking about useful features to put into it.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many custom macros do you use?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »