Poll: Weirdest place where you've ever worked on a translation:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Lodhi Gardens May 9, 2007

A very famous garden in New Delhi. I was working on a project with a couple of colleagues and it is at a stone's throw from the French Library.

I've worked in a Hotel room (in fact more than once)... in moving cars (veteran).

And right now I'm on vaccation and working at a friend's place (with kids asking me... bua, we thought you were on vaccation)

Regards,

Ritu

p.s.: Bua is father's sister.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 10:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Needs must May 9, 2007

Reading the other contributions so far, pretty much everything I have done has been covered: the car, the train, the plane, the hospital, the waiting room... really it´s just a case of being able to sit down and open the computer/read the print-out.

And even when there is not a deadline close, it would be unusual for me to, say, go to the hairdresser´s without taking some work of this kind with me in order to avoid the awful possibility of having to wait and not having anything t
... See more
Reading the other contributions so far, pretty much everything I have done has been covered: the car, the train, the plane, the hospital, the waiting room... really it´s just a case of being able to sit down and open the computer/read the print-out.

And even when there is not a deadline close, it would be unusual for me to, say, go to the hairdresser´s without taking some work of this kind with me in order to avoid the awful possibility of having to wait and not having anything to do during the wait.

Actually on consideration, it´s a very strange example, since what is really unusual for me is to go to the hairdresser´s!
Collapse

Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 11:57
English to Russian
+ ...
At the dentist's May 9, 2007

I accompanied a group of kids from Chernobyl affected areas to Denmark and they soon found out that a visit to a dentist was quite a different experience from what they had had in their native places in rural Belarus. So there I was, "open your mouth, close your mouth ..."

[Редактировалось 2007-05-09 16:42]

A.Đapo
A.Đapo  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2007)
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
hospital May 9, 2007

Once I had to stay in hospital for some tests (turned out to be very serious) and the doc, who is a friend of mine, gave me a booklet to translate in order not to think about the tests. No dictionary and not comp, just me and a bunch of docs. Topic: new type of bypass (tech spec and surgery).

Madalena Ribeiro
Madalena Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:57
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
On a car May 9, 2007

On a car, going to Spain for holidays, but still finishing a translation!

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hospital waiting room and train May 9, 2007

I spent a few months last year in Lisbon looking after my brother-in-law who had cancer. I would put in a very early shift before it was time to wake him up (when he did manage to get any rest), then would spend most of the day working in hospital waiting rooms, while he had chemo and various other consultations.

Venue wasn't particularly strange, I was just using time productively and trying to switch off from what was a very stressful period without a happy ending.

I
... See more
I spent a few months last year in Lisbon looking after my brother-in-law who had cancer. I would put in a very early shift before it was time to wake him up (when he did manage to get any rest), then would spend most of the day working in hospital waiting rooms, while he had chemo and various other consultations.

Venue wasn't particularly strange, I was just using time productively and trying to switch off from what was a very stressful period without a happy ending.

I make regular trips to Lisbon for work these days and since it is a 3 hour trip by train each way, I book a seat in first class with a table, next to a plug, so I can work on my laptop. In fact, that's what I'll be doing from 7 a.m. tomorrow morning and again tomorrow night.

[Edited at 2007-05-09 17:34]
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
In my ex-husband's office on Christmas Eve May 9, 2007

These people just HAD to have the job done before Christmas, and I was visiting my extended family in upstate Massachusetts.

Amy

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 02:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Several places May 9, 2007

I'm kind of workaholic. I proof read translations while my students are taking their exams at the University. Whenever I have to run some errands that imply spending some time waiting for something like: waiting lines at the bank, to see the doctor, etc., etc., I'm always proofreading or grading tests.

My family is also accustomed to my working while we are in parties, going to the beach, hanging around.

But the weirdest place was right before I was being taken to an em
... See more
I'm kind of workaholic. I proof read translations while my students are taking their exams at the University. Whenever I have to run some errands that imply spending some time waiting for something like: waiting lines at the bank, to see the doctor, etc., etc., I'm always proofreading or grading tests.

My family is also accustomed to my working while we are in parties, going to the beach, hanging around.

But the weirdest place was right before I was being taken to an emergency major surgery last year. I just couldn't stop giving instructions to my sister about my translation projects, and the nurses had to hurry me up to finish, because doctors were ready waiting for my arrival. Then, right after I woke up from surgery, my clients began to call me to ask about their projects, and half-slept I continued working. In fact, the very same day I returned home (with pains, stitches, and lots of medical "orders" to have lots of rest) I began working in a laptop. The day my seventeen stitches were removed, I walked all over the house, going up and down the stairs as if just a week before I hadn't gone through a major surgery.

As a client told, "how lucky I am that you are in a sick-leave, so that you can work full-time in my project."
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Submarine accessory equipment manual May 9, 2007

in the submarine (sight reading).

What the Coast Guard can do to you.

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
In a room with other "suspects", waiting for US immigration screening... May 9, 2007

US immigration officers can let you through without problem many times, and now and then they are suspicious and send you to a waiting room for further screening... You usually spend one hour there, and then the case is solved in 2 minutes.
Once I remember I was working on a translation, among families, babies crying, etc. When my turn came, they just wanted to know if I intended to work in the U.S. I said that I was working on a translation for a French customer (which was true), and tha
... See more
US immigration officers can let you through without problem many times, and now and then they are suspicious and send you to a waiting room for further screening... You usually spend one hour there, and then the case is solved in 2 minutes.
Once I remember I was working on a translation, among families, babies crying, etc. When my turn came, they just wanted to know if I intended to work in the U.S. I said that I was working on a translation for a French customer (which was true), and that I was working for US customers only when I was in France. They were perfectly happy with my answer, I packed my laptop and ran to the plane...
Collapse

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
The coolest! May 9, 2007

Parrot wrote:

in the submarine (sight reading).

What the Coast Guard can do to you.

Wow!!

I think nobody will beat this one.
It also seems to me the coolest...

(not only working in a weird place, but on the clock and getting paid for it!!!)

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Mine's quite tame by comparison... May 9, 2007

I was still working in-house, and had to have my car repaired urgently. The translation was urgent too, of course. I reported I was 'out of office', and drove off with a couple of dictionaries, my red pen and a large proof, so I could work while I waited. I always proofread the final time on paper, and find things I've missed on screen...

The mechanics even let me have a desk in their office.

LinguaLab.net
LinguaLab.net
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
In a tent May 9, 2007

aceavila - Noni wrote:

Reading the other contributions so far, pretty much everything I have done has been covered: the car, the train, the plane, the hospital, the waiting room...

I agree - with the exception of the submarine!!!
The bathroom, of course, I had underfloor heating in my bathroom in Norway, so it's really nice in winter! ;o)

I guess the weirdest place I've ever worked on a translation was in a tent in a camp site in the UK... It was really nice though - I love camping!D

shasas
shasas  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Dentist's Chair May 9, 2007

Waiting for a routine check-up

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Submarine is unbeatable... May 9, 2007

I'm affraid I am quite normal in this sense... "Planes, trains and automobiles". I reckon many of us feel like Steve Martin with an urgent translation as the travel buddy that ruins our holiday...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Weirdest place where you've ever worked on a translation:

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »