Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Canyonlands National Park, Utah, USA May 9, 2007

Weird as it may seem, I took some work with me on vacation, and I decided to finish it surrounded by the awesome artwork the Colorado River.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
In a hospital bed May 9, 2007

- I'd had an accident with the vespa and had a broken wrist. They operated on me in the morning with a local anaesthetic and I could watch the whole process, as they inserted a metal pin into the offending appendage.
As a result, I was not woozy after the op and was able to eat a normal lunch. I had an "urgent" job on for a client, so called and asked them to lend me a laptop (I didn't have my own in those days, well actually I did but it was antiquated, with very little memory and windo
... See more
- I'd had an accident with the vespa and had a broken wrist. They operated on me in the morning with a local anaesthetic and I could watch the whole process, as they inserted a metal pin into the offending appendage.
As a result, I was not woozy after the op and was able to eat a normal lunch. I had an "urgent" job on for a client, so called and asked them to lend me a laptop (I didn't have my own in those days, well actually I did but it was antiquated, with very little memory and windows version 3). The boss of the firm came and gave me one and I proceeded to finish the job with my one good hand. The only thing was when the local wore off it was absolutely excruciating and they wouldn't give me enough painkillers...
Apart from that, in airports and wifi bars, or in the garden.
Collapse

Jana DeMilt
Jana DeMilt
English to Czech
+ ...
Funeral home... May 9, 2007

and quite often.

Natalia Tkacheva
Natalia Tkacheva  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:17
English to Russian
+ ...
In a car May 9, 2007

We were going to a meeting where I was going to interpret and suddenly the client remembered that one document was not translated and asked me to translate it on the way using just a piece of paper and a pen, which I successfully did.

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:17
French to Portuguese
+ ...
In a car May 9, 2007

which I do lot lately. Travels seem smaller and I can catch up with work. I am addicted to it now. Last Saturday I've been to a powwow in Lisbon and din't take my laptop; the trip seemed to last for ages....

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:17
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Several weddings May 10, 2007

I have work as a wedding planner assitant around 15 times since 2004. When the party is at the apex of emotion, dancing and drinking, I translate. I have done this in 5 and 6 weddings.

Parties are great but when you assist to many weddings (clients, friends, family...) it becomes a little bit monotonous. I already know which song is coming, who will be the first drunk to fall over the cake or who could catch the bride's bouquet. So, I take the laptop with me but I leave it aside if
... See more
I have work as a wedding planner assitant around 15 times since 2004. When the party is at the apex of emotion, dancing and drinking, I translate. I have done this in 5 and 6 weddings.

Parties are great but when you assist to many weddings (clients, friends, family...) it becomes a little bit monotonous. I already know which song is coming, who will be the first drunk to fall over the cake or who could catch the bride's bouquet. So, I take the laptop with me but I leave it aside if a maja invites me to dance.
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:17
Portuguese to English
+ ...
in jail... May 10, 2007

Maybe that´s no so weird, either, since I was there on an interpreting assignment.
It was today, which is also my wedding anniversary.
I was in court interpreting, and then they sent me to jail.
I called my wife on the way over.

me: ¨Bom anniversario, meu amor...I´m going to Jail!¨

Mrs. Baldwin: ¨Ai, pelo amor de Deus, what did you do in court?....do you need smokes, soap, anything?¨

Of course, they let me out...
... See more
Maybe that´s no so weird, either, since I was there on an interpreting assignment.
It was today, which is also my wedding anniversary.
I was in court interpreting, and then they sent me to jail.
I called my wife on the way over.

me: ¨Bom anniversario, meu amor...I´m going to Jail!¨

Mrs. Baldwin: ¨Ai, pelo amor de Deus, what did you do in court?....do you need smokes, soap, anything?¨

Of course, they let me out...
And I brought home roses and chocolates...and now I´m up working again.
Collapse

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Phone / internet booth May 10, 2007

I had gone to take care of some pipe repair works in an oil field and had a free day. The day before, my wife had received an asignment for the translation of several MSDS, with quite a lot of chemical terms.
I didn't had a laptop at that time, so she e-mailed me the files and I spent around 6 hours translating in a phone booth (which included a PC with internet connection).
My wife just proofread and formatted the files, and that was it!

Good poll. Some of my f
... See more
I had gone to take care of some pipe repair works in an oil field and had a free day. The day before, my wife had received an asignment for the translation of several MSDS, with quite a lot of chemical terms.
I didn't had a laptop at that time, so she e-mailed me the files and I spent around 6 hours translating in a phone booth (which included a PC with internet connection).
My wife just proofread and formatted the files, and that was it!

Good poll. Some of my favorites are: submarine, jail, weddings, dentist chair (!) and the Canyonlands National Park.

Andrés
Collapse

vicksy nurhayati
vicksy nurhayati  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:17
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Other - in the hospital May 10, 2007

It was last February 2007, when I had to take my son to the hospital. He stayed for 4 days there, and so did I with my lovely laptop, books, dictionaries, papers

There was actually kind of a note stuck in the wall that prohibits anyone to use laptop anywhere in the hospital, including in the nursing room. But no one has ever warning me to stop working with my laptop. I guess they probably knew that I have to deliver
... See more
It was last February 2007, when I had to take my son to the hospital. He stayed for 4 days there, and so did I with my lovely laptop, books, dictionaries, papers

There was actually kind of a note stuck in the wall that prohibits anyone to use laptop anywhere in the hospital, including in the nursing room. But no one has ever warning me to stop working with my laptop. I guess they probably knew that I have to deliver my translation work as soon as possible !
Collapse

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:17
German to English
+ ...
Waiting at a checkpoint May 10, 2007

More than once, I've been stuck at a checkpoint for hours while travelling between my home in Bethlehem and Ramallah. Of course, no internet available, but at least I could work on something to keep me from climbing the (car) walls.

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
In a video game arcade May 10, 2007

in Denmark, because it also had a few Internet computers in the back...

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sylvia Germroth Nordebo  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
At my son´s kindergarden May 10, 2007

When my son started kindergarden I was with him, but after a few days I was told to go to the teachers´room just to be nearby in case he became unhappy. So I had about 3 hours there, which gave me time and coffee to work.
I also had the chance to see the kindergarden´s cook composing the menue for the next week.

Sylvia

Sam Berner
Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:17
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
All of the above? May 10, 2007

Hospital waiting rooms
Trains, planes and moving cars (my own and others)
Motels and hotels (I don't book if they don't have internet connection)
Cafes (hotspots around the city)
Libraries
Friend's homes (since most of them are translators anyway)
Public parks and picnic areas

Don't you just love the technology??

msherms
msherms  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Disneyland resort May 10, 2007

In the midst of fairy dust, flying elephants and Mickey Mouse and friends I once had to work on an urgent translation- I found that to be very surreal!

Melanie

oxygen4u
oxygen4u
Portugal
Local time: 12:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maternity May 10, 2007

Yep! I had urgent translations to finish, so anywhere was fine as long as I could finish ithem. Also, both my labours took ages (27 hours the first, 3!!! days the second) and I was able to finish my work on time.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Weirdest place where you've ever worked on a translation:

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »