Mobile menu

Poll: What percentage of your new clients come from networking with other translators?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 04:58
SITE STAFF
May 13, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What percentage of your new clients come from networking with other translators?".

This poll was originally submitted by rifkind

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
80% May 13, 2007

Actually about 80% of all our work comes from customers to which we were recommended by fellow translators or PMs at some stage. As far as I can remember, only one of our bigger customers came to us directly.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
0% May 13, 2007

I live in a city of 130,000 people, but it might as well be a small village. “Networking” or more simply put, “getting a job from someone you know or have met” is how everything works here. Here CVs and credentials are nowhere near as important as who you know or, like in most Latin countries, who you’re related to.

All my work comes from people I’ve worked with personally (language schools, companies, etc.) but not other translators. On the other hand, I guess I’ve networked enough because, generally, I’m the one who passes on work to other translators I know.

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 07:58
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on how far back I trace the chain. May 13, 2007

Like John, I get most of my clients via word-of-mouth. But most of the clients recommending me to new clients were, themselves, sent to me by fellow translators. Or I was recommended by clients to whom I had been recommended by other clients who were sent to me by fellow translators. Or ... I don't even want to write the sentence, but you get the picture.

Other than a couple of agencies who contacted me through ProZ, almost all my clients can be traced back to a fellow translator, often one of my former professors.

And I return the favor by sending jobs I can't handle on to someone else in my growing network. Now I have translation students of my own to recommend!

Jane

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
1-25% May 13, 2007

but I've probably networked all my clients into networks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What percentage of your new clients come from networking with other translators?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs