Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you talk in your sleep?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 21:47
SITE STAFF
May 15, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you talk in your sleep?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Jakacka

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
Option missing: May 15, 2007

I'll let you know when I've watched the 7 hours of CCTV footage filmed last night.

Fiamma Lolli
Italy
Local time: 06:47
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Ooooooops! May 15, 2007

I voted "Other" but I thought the question was: do you talk in your dreams? Therefore I answered "Other" because in my dreams I speak, write and read (I'm a maniac!) in many languages, included imaginary ones.
Sorry!

Sanmar
United Kingdom
English to Dutch
+ ...
I do May 15, 2007

I have been told that I do and in both languages as well. Sometimes people ask me in which language I dream (Dutch native living in England). This depends on what my dream is about and the people in it!

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:47
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! May 15, 2007

When we were teenagers, my sister and I used to talk a lot in our sleep. Both in English and Spanish. We would sit on our beds and have complete conversations!

Now my husband says that I talk in my sleep from time to time but only short sentences. I sometimes hear my 2 year old talk in her sleep either. She sounds so funny!

Interesting topic

Leticia

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Funny you should ask.. because just the other night... May 15, 2007

I was apparently talking Spanish (my target L2) while sleeping over at a friend's place... we'd had quite a lot of wine with dinner....
I've lived in Spain for more than 15 years now and speak Spanish most of my time awake, even when I'm not working.

[Edited at 2007-05-15 22:31]

Marion Lurf  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Sometimes, yes... May 16, 2007

Apparently I sometimes talk in my sleep; AFAIK, either in German or English, but not in Spanish (like with Sanmar, it depends on the dream and the people in it).

Here's the funniest instance I can recall at the moment:
About a year ago, I spent a week teaching Scottish primary school kids the basics of the German language, a very repetitive task which also involved a numbers game. I would hold up a certain number of fingers and the pupils then had to tell me the correct number in German.
So, as my boyfriend told me the following morning, after one of these teaching days I suddenly sat straight up in bed in the middle of the night, held up a few fingers and asked him in German: "Wie viele sind das?" (How many fingers?)
Having just been disturbed in his sleep, he started counting and finally replied: "Nine." (In English)
This was no good for the German teacher in me, so I asked him again: "Nein, auf Deutsch!" (No, in German!)
Well, luckily he knew the answer! He said "neun", and I was satisfied and went back to sleep...

[Edited at 2007-05-16 00:10]

Gabrielle Bannard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:47
French to English
Yup May 16, 2007

When I'm reading a book in French, or if I'm in France for any length of time, I will speak French in my sleep. Usually, however, I speak English.
There was one instance, however, when I tried to speak English, but spoke Gobbledygook instead: I had been reading Stephen King's "The Regulators" and there's a part in it where the bad guys are driving by slowly and shooting people. I was dreaming this and in my dream I was trying to get a bunch of kids to safety, when I suddenly sat up in bed and semi-consciously ran to the windows in my bedroom trying to figure out where the bad guys were and which house I could sprint the kids to safety. My husband asked me what was wrong, and I wanted to say to him something about a "slowly moving car and we have to go", but all that came out was "slo-go-doh".... Apparently I went back to bed and sleep shortly after, and I have only a vague recollection of getting up (but a vivid one of the dream!).

diana bb  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 07:47
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Yes, but never know in what language May 16, 2007

That's the missing option)

Laughing Diana

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
It would have been better... May 16, 2007

in which language do you dream, in my opinion..

Giovanni

LinguaLab.net
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Agree with Giovanni May 16, 2007

A lot of people don't talk in their sleep, but they may be dreaming in many different languages!

When I was about 15, I started thinking in English - and I would only realise when I suddenly couldn't find the words!

Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

interesting suggestion May 16, 2007

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

in which language do you dream, in my opinion..

That's an interesting suggestion, Giovanni. I guess it should be considered when running the tomorrow poll

As to me, I was always told that I sleep very quietly and without making strange noises nor talking. Actually, noone in my family talks when sleeping. It's a pity, because sometimes you can find out interesting or funny some comments made by a sleeping person...

Clara Duarte  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Talking in your sleep vs. talking in your dreams May 16, 2007

I don't think I talk in my sleep, but since I'm sleeping I can't really be sure, so I answered I didn't know.

As for dreaming, I usually dream in Portuguese, always in colour, and I come up with original soundtrack as well. Problem is, I always forget the melody of the songs I make up while sleeping...

One time, I dreamt I was in a concert! The colours and the lights were so vivid. The whole dream was in English and I woke up very tired.

Amazingly, I appear to be very still and quiet while sleeping, unless I wake up from a bad dream.

I have read that people usually dream in black and white and just a minority dreams in colour, but I have never dreamt in b&w and people I asked this also tell me they dream in colour.

Do you think dreaming in colour or in different languages is a sign of a creative mind?

Arianna Tremayne  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
My answer was no May 16, 2007

I am not the sleepwalking / sleeptalking kind, but:

Just before I fall asleep I usually get great ideas as to how to solve a particular problem that has bothered me all day or some good idea how I go about something the next day.

Quite convenient - seems to come out of the blue.

My father apparently solved problems in his sleep and used to wake up, saying something like "I've got it!"

Never happened to me...

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:47
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I don´t know... May 16, 2007

I´m usually asleep when I´m sleeping.

I asked Mrs. Baldwin, and she says she doesn´t know, either, because she´s usually asleep when I´m sleeping, too.

She does, though, in Portuguese, which is her native tongue.

I do know that I dream in more than one language....in all four, even, though mostly in English and Portuguese, the two in which I regularly think/speak while awake.

[Edited at 2007-05-16 16:09]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you talk in your sleep?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums