Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Are you happy?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 17, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you happy?".

This poll was originally submitted by Gianni Pastore

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great poll! May 17, 2007

I reckon all technical/social/economic aspects of being a translator are summarised by this poll. It's great to see that most translators are usually happy!

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Bravo Gianni! May 17, 2007

This poll question has crossed my mind so many times! However, since mine never seem to come up, I never dared to post it really.
My answer is somewhere between “most of the time” and “sometimes”. I’m happy today

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 18:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Always--but let me explain! May 17, 2007

I am a happy person. That is a characteristic of me, like the fact that I am female. At any time of any day, if I ask myself this question, my answer would be, "Yes, of course."

That doesn't mean I don't have problems, discouragements, frustrations and, yes, sadness at times. Right now I'm very sad for a friend who lost her baby. I'm dissatisfied with my weight, my current state of health, and the abominable mess my house is in. And I am worried about meeting deadlines on two large,
... See more
I am a happy person. That is a characteristic of me, like the fact that I am female. At any time of any day, if I ask myself this question, my answer would be, "Yes, of course."

That doesn't mean I don't have problems, discouragements, frustrations and, yes, sadness at times. Right now I'm very sad for a friend who lost her baby. I'm dissatisfied with my weight, my current state of health, and the abominable mess my house is in. And I am worried about meeting deadlines on two large, difficult projects I'm doing simultaneously, and puzzled about how to prioritize my time/efforts between them. And yet I am happy.

Happiness comes from within and does not depend on circumstances. If you all spoke Spanish, I could explain it in terms of "ser" and "estar." Soy (I am, permanently) happy though estoy (I am, at this moment) sad about certain circumstances.

Does any of this make sense to you? If it does, then I imagine that you are a person who has an anchor for your soul.

Jane

PS On strictly mundane terms, yes, being a freelance translator makes me very happy!
Collapse

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 16:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Appropriate time for asking this myself May 17, 2007

Thanks for this poll. Right before opening my proz.com page, I was feeling sad because of all the work-related things I have to do (translation, teaching at the University, modifying/changing completely the syllabuses of aorund 11 courses, so on) that I don't even have time to read a good book.

It is also very appropriate because I was thinking of what is better whether having this hughe work overload or just "forgetting" about my work for some hours, and spend time with my sister w
... See more
Thanks for this poll. Right before opening my proz.com page, I was feeling sad because of all the work-related things I have to do (translation, teaching at the University, modifying/changing completely the syllabuses of aorund 11 courses, so on) that I don't even have time to read a good book.

It is also very appropriate because I was thinking of what is better whether having this hughe work overload or just "forgetting" about my work for some hours, and spend time with my sister who is recovering from a cancer. I know the answer is obvious, but as a literal workaholic, I is difficult for me to put things into perspectives.

In fact, this is one of my physician and psychiatrist (I don't know yet why a psychologist is not enough in my case) monthly struggles with me.

So, to answer this poll and as a part of my psychiatrist homework for this month, I think I'm happy most of the time. I have a nice extended family, lots of work and very few but unconditional friends. Despite my terrible fibromyalgia and weight problems, my doctors are tremendously surprised how healthy I am. They are really puzzled how my health is much better than theirs, my lab tests are within normal range, and whenever I have had surgery, I haven't had any problem in my recovery.

So, I'm happy.
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 23:45
Generally, yes. Just not this week! May 17, 2007

Good question, as I'm having a pretty crappy week.

My uncle died on Saturday, which meant I had to take two days off to go to Limerick for the funeral. Came back to Dublin yesterday but was still feeling a bit low so I got no work or study done.

Go into college today and *all* the free parking spots were taken and I can't find a quiet area to study. I now feel ridiculously underprepared for my diploma exam on Saturday. (Realistically, I know I'll pass but you know what
... See more
Good question, as I'm having a pretty crappy week.

My uncle died on Saturday, which meant I had to take two days off to go to Limerick for the funeral. Came back to Dublin yesterday but was still feeling a bit low so I got no work or study done.

Go into college today and *all* the free parking spots were taken and I can't find a quiet area to study. I now feel ridiculously underprepared for my diploma exam on Saturday. (Realistically, I know I'll pass but you know what it is like before a test!)

I believe life is a case of peaks & troughs and I know the best thing for me to do is think positively, prepare as well as I can under the circumstances and make sure I look fabulous for my friend's party on Saturday night
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
The present tense May 17, 2007

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you happy?".

This poll was originally submitted by Gianni Pastore

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Since the question is asked in the present tense my answer is YES, I'm always happy now, but that doesn't mean I haven't been very unhappy in the past, much of it self-inflicted. Perhaps one has to go through a degree of woe before realising what happiness really is. I, too, have a naturally cheerful and optimistic nature, so I count myself lucky.
Love,
Jenny.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm with Jane May 17, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

That doesn't mean I don't have problems, discouragements, frustrations and, yes, sadness at times. Right now I'm very sad for a friend who lost her baby. I'm dissatisfied with my weight, my current state of health, and the abominable mess my house is in. And I am worried about meeting deadlines on two large, difficult projects I'm doing simultaneously, and puzzled about how to prioritize my time/efforts between them. And yet I am happy.

Happiness comes from within and does not depend on circumstances. If you all spoke Spanish, I could explain it in terms of "ser" and "estar." Soy (I am, permanently) happy though estoy (I am, at this moment) sad about certain circumstances.

Does any of this make sense to you? If it does, then I imagine that you are a person who has an anchor for your soul.

Jane

PS On strictly mundane terms, yes, being a freelance translator makes me very happy!

Jane's answer is an excellent description of a normal life lived with an extraordinary perspective. Even though she has reasons to feel unhappy, yet she recognizes there are many more reasons to be happy.

Maybe it would be good to differentiate happiness from mood. Mood is very dependant on the circumstances, feelings and so on. Happiness is not.

I am happy. And I am determined to become happier and happier every day, no matter what.

Good poll.

Andrés

Nicole Martin
Nicole Martin
Local time: 18:45
German to English
I agree with Jane! May 17, 2007

I'm the same way, I think I tend to be an optimistic, happy person.

Right now, there are some tough things in my life.

I've gone back to school which is expensive, so I don't have as much money as I did before and that can be frustrating and scary.

We're having a lot of trouble finding another translator at the company I work for, so I'm the only one doing all the work, plus my bosses are adding more and more special projects to my workload so I'm gettin
... See more
I'm the same way, I think I tend to be an optimistic, happy person.

Right now, there are some tough things in my life.

I've gone back to school which is expensive, so I don't have as much money as I did before and that can be frustrating and scary.

We're having a lot of trouble finding another translator at the company I work for, so I'm the only one doing all the work, plus my bosses are adding more and more special projects to my workload so I'm getting a little stressed out.

And worst of all, one month ago, my brother was diagnosed with cancer. He spent 3 weeks in the hospital and almost did not survive. He's back home now, getting chemotherapy, but we just don't know what the future holds.

But despite all of that, I just don't think I could call myself unhappy. I can still laugh with my friends, appreciate a good book and feel exhilirated and peaceful when the sun is shining, the sky is blue and I'm out for an early morning walk on the weekends. Yet I know people who aren't going through any specific problems but they just aren't happy people.

I think I'm very fortunate to have happiness, otherwise I don't know how I would have survived the past few weeks.
Collapse

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 01:45
English to Romanian
Happy, happy, happy May 17, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

Hi, Jane,
I fully agree with you, you just hit the nail on the head
All the best and have a happy life,
Maria

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I said sometimes May 17, 2007

... but my next reaction was "define happy"...
My concerns seem to be about material things, whether I am earning enough money to pay the rent and bills, send the family some cash occasionally and afford the odd night out or day at the beach.
A former girlfriend used to say it was pathetic how simple things like a good meal, sex, a football match or winning a pub quiz could make me smile for days on end,but then again I suppose it's the simple things in life that make it worthwhile.<
... See more
... but my next reaction was "define happy"...
My concerns seem to be about material things, whether I am earning enough money to pay the rent and bills, send the family some cash occasionally and afford the odd night out or day at the beach.
A former girlfriend used to say it was pathetic how simple things like a good meal, sex, a football match or winning a pub quiz could make me smile for days on end,but then again I suppose it's the simple things in life that make it worthwhile.
I notice that many of my friends who have more intellectual interests (like "difficult" or "worthwhile" movies as opposed to tosh like Spiderman etc or reading books instead of watching DVDs) tend to suffer from depression nowadays, and I count myself lucky not to have these problems.
My health is reasonably good and although I am at least 10 kilos overweight, I don't feel morbid about so I suppose I am reasonably happy most of the time...
If we were happy all the time, happiness per se would not exist, so Orla's peaks and trough seem to be about right for me...
And I love my work
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes May 17, 2007

I am happy most of the times, unless

1) somebody disturbs a certain ethical ABC that rules my days (which is very obvious in the case of transparent persons and I am one.)

2) somebody I love is suffering.

Number two is happening now as one of the persons I love most in life is very very very sick and I feel very very very guilty for her sickness. But I am hopeful, I know she will be fine soon.

Optimistic Au

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Happiness = contentment May 17, 2007

There's an Arabic saying that goes "Contentment is a treasure that never perishes".
I consider myself happy because I am always keenly aware of how blessed I am and how much I have to be grateful for, regardless of any rough patches I may be going through.

Other than that, I am extremely happy at the moment because today my dad is recovering from a successful surgery.
Alhamdulillah

N.

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
great poll! May 17, 2007

What can I say?
I have never been what you would call a happy person. But... since my triplets were born (8 years ago) I know what happiness is. During those 8 years I experienced moments of perfect happiness, feeling I am living my life to the fullest.

To my kids:
"Millions and millions of years still would not give me half enough time to describe that tiny instant of all eternity when you put your arms around me and I put my arms around you."
(J. Prevert)
<
... See more
What can I say?
I have never been what you would call a happy person. But... since my triplets were born (8 years ago) I know what happiness is. During those 8 years I experienced moments of perfect happiness, feeling I am living my life to the fullest.

To my kids:
"Millions and millions of years still would not give me half enough time to describe that tiny instant of all eternity when you put your arms around me and I put my arms around you."
(J. Prevert)

Laura
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
English to German
A deep happiness within May 17, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

There's an Arabic saying that goes "Contentment is a treasure that never perishes".
I consider myself happy because I am always keenly aware of how blessed I am and how much I have to be grateful for, regardless of any rough patches I may be going through.

Other than that, I am extremely happy at the moment because today my dad is recovering from a successful surgery.
Alhamdulillah

N.

Most people would probably define happiness differently, but my heart made a leap when I read Nesrin's posting. My - general - happiness comes from a content feeling deep down in myself, and it is based on the fact that I should and can consider myself blessed. As Nesrin, I am very thankful for that - regardless of "any rough patches I may be going through".

All the best to your dad, Nesrin!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you happy?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »