Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: How many items do you have on your desk right now?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
... May 23, 2007

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

Alphabetized clutter - o my gosh!

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

no dictionaries (they are in the computers, as CD_Roms)

ball point pens (3)
black marker
black sharpie
bunch of receipts
business cards
calculator
caster, used as caster
cd player
CDs used as casters (2)
digitzing tablet
electronic pen for digitizing tablet
envelope openers (2)
folder with projects to invoice
fountain pen
glasses (3: one for reading, one for long distance, one for the computer)
headphones for cd player

[/quote]

:lol::lol::lol:

Silvina Matheu
Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
can't barely see my desk May 23, 2007

I'm so happy I'm not the only one! Some members of my family should read this poll

I always promise myself to tidy it all up after submitting an assignment and sometimes I do; but everything is a mess again as soon as I start a new translation job.

[Edited at 2007-05-23 21:26]

Katerina Athanasaki
Katerina Athanasaki  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:42
English to Greek
+ ...
about a hundred May 23, 2007

From left to right:
A legal dictionary, a medical dictionary, my big wallet, my smaller wallet, my notebook, my mobile phone charger, about 200 pages that need to be translated and are still waiting for me to decide when to start, a paper tray with God knows what on it, a stack of unpaid bills, some paid bills, my mobile, my wireless phone, pink tape, a desktop calendar with coloured maps, a normal desktop calendar, some spanish essays I wrote about three years ago, kleenex, a used envelop
... See more
From left to right:
A legal dictionary, a medical dictionary, my big wallet, my smaller wallet, my notebook, my mobile phone charger, about 200 pages that need to be translated and are still waiting for me to decide when to start, a paper tray with God knows what on it, a stack of unpaid bills, some paid bills, my mobile, my wireless phone, pink tape, a desktop calendar with coloured maps, a normal desktop calendar, some spanish essays I wrote about three years ago, kleenex, a used envelope, an empty small dvd tower, three sets of post-it blocks, a small calculator, scanner, monitor, my stamp, hand wipes, about fifty pens and pencils, an envelope opener, paper stand, yellow markers, a stapler, scissors, two screw drivers, green mouse pad with mouse on it, desk lamp, printer, a green plant in a green pot, a bigger calculator, a ticket to a rock concert I went a month ago, my keys, a yellow glass of water, my glasses, my desktop phone, pills for my carpal tunnel syndrome, a duster, tiny mp3 player, a ten euro bill and some spare change, a spanish dictionary, some of my old professional cards, some other professional cards, IKEA catalogue from last year, yoga dvds, a small notebook, keyboard.
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:42
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
From left to right May 23, 2007

Shortwave radio
Flatscreen 1
Mobile phone
Business cards from the Berlin Powwow
Packet of fags
Lighter
Ashtray
Wine glass
Keyboard
Flatscreen 2
Land line telephone
Microphone
Mouse pad
Mouse (O.K. slow, but look what it can do: http://www.1-click.jp/

As for the rest, it's not on my desk.

See more
Shortwave radio
Flatscreen 1
Mobile phone
Business cards from the Berlin Powwow
Packet of fags
Lighter
Ashtray
Wine glass
Keyboard
Flatscreen 2
Land line telephone
Microphone
Mouse pad
Mouse (O.K. slow, but look what it can do: http://www.1-click.jp/

As for the rest, it's not on my desk.

Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Two cuddly toys... May 23, 2007

a frog and a crocodile (which sits on top of the printer), Winnie the Pooh painted by my daughter, photos of my dead dog and cat, a mouse made of pink card, a video I really should give back to my mother, a film that needs developing, snakes and ladders game, my diary (and if it's not in there, it won't get done), papers I should file but hate doing that job SOOO boring it might have to wait even longer, my anglepoise lamp I've had since I was at school, a lovely rectangular ceramic dish I got i... See more
a frog and a crocodile (which sits on top of the printer), Winnie the Pooh painted by my daughter, photos of my dead dog and cat, a mouse made of pink card, a video I really should give back to my mother, a film that needs developing, snakes and ladders game, my diary (and if it's not in there, it won't get done), papers I should file but hate doing that job SOOO boring it might have to wait even longer, my anglepoise lamp I've had since I was at school, a lovely rectangular ceramic dish I got in Spain last holiday with my USB memory key and the business card of the woman organising my wedding in August, a porcelain thimble with a tiger on it, a calculator to work out how much everyone owes me, a little basket full of paper clips, two large dictionaries, the translation I've just finished (HURRAH!), more papers, receptacles, junk, photos and a box my daughter made for me which says:

This is a very special gift
That you can never see
The reason it's so special
Is it's just from me.
Whenever you are lonely
Or even feeling blue
You only have to hold this gift
And know I think of you.
You never should unwrap it
Please leave the ribbon tied
Hold this box close to your heart
It's filled with love inside.
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank God I am not the only one... May 24, 2007

...with a messy desk. Thank you for the poll, I feel a little better now that I am in good company, no more guilty feelings ...

Giusi

PS and I also have, like somebody else, chocolate and cat on my desk

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:42
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Desk similar to Victor's May 24, 2007

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

No dictionaries, no manuscript printouts for your current job, the next three jobs that are waiting for you, the last three jobs you haven't got round to tidying away yet, a note pad or three, an assortment of pens and pencils to make notes, your office phone and mobile, a few pads of sticky notes ready to use, a manuscript stand or two, a handbook for that piece of hardware or software that you have just installed or still need to instal, the advertising brochure(s) that you mean to look at

Not even a monitor, keyboard, mouse and mousepad

My desk is very similar to Victor's, with the exception that it is manuscript printouts of the next three jobs and the last six or more.... yes, three notepads...various pens..... and I do not have any manuscript stands.

To maintain health while translating, there is always a glass of water on my desk, standing on a pretty mat with a picture of flowers and butterflies. Actually, I like to work with a clear desk, so the papers are on a shelf above the main part of the desk.

Astrid

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not a clean desk man May 24, 2007

Never have been, never will be. It's much worse than a rat's nest.

But don't dare touch it.

I can find anything there, you can't, and you'd better not even think about it. You'll get bitten.

Kaliamma Ponnan
Kaliamma Ponnan  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 06:42
English to Tamil
+ ...
Only six May 24, 2007

Interesting question. I have only six items but that is because my computer table is rather small.

The nearest item next to my computer is the novel I am reading at the moment, Amy Tan's "The Opposite of Fate" and an atlas I was referring to yesterday. But what is this safety pin doing on my table? I am puzzled.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Great minds work alike? May 24, 2007

At my husband's office an efficiency expert started a campaign a couple of years ago, and made everyone tidy up their desks. (Well, almost)

My husband thinned out the rubbish and filled the bin a couple of times, then said he had no more time and left for a conference.

Everyone else spent the next fortnight trying to remember where they had tidied their things away and hardly did any work. They kept interrupting my husband and borrowing his minutes of the last meeting
... See more
At my husband's office an efficiency expert started a campaign a couple of years ago, and made everyone tidy up their desks. (Well, almost)

My husband thinned out the rubbish and filled the bin a couple of times, then said he had no more time and left for a conference.

Everyone else spent the next fortnight trying to remember where they had tidied their things away and hardly did any work. They kept interrupting my husband and borrowing his minutes of the last meeting or his copy of this and that - he was the only person who could find anything. It drove everyone mad.

Gradually, the normal state of 'disorder' was restored and everyone got back to work

Remember that children's game where you spread a pack of cards face down on the table and try to find the pairs? It is much more difficult if all the cards are in neat rows. Spread them at random, and lots of people find it easier.

Or as my son told me, when Mandelbrot and fractals were all the rage:
"Only idiots tidy up. A genius can master chaos!"
He was at that age when parents = idiots per definition, but I still have the poster somewhere.

I get backache with a laptop. When I get one, it will be because the chaos has overtaken the last free area on the desk, and there is not even room for a flat screen and a keyboard.

Happy translating!

[Edited at 2007-05-24 10:42]
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Hundreds... May 24, 2007

left to right:
clip-on light
phone
calculator
copy holder (with boiler service record on it! the boiler repair man is coming today to provide me with hot water once more)
rusty anglepoise lamp
computer speaker
flat screen 1
printouts of last three PDFs to translate (PDFs were too rubbish to convert into text)
volume control knob for computer speakers
Latest volume of Record for my old college
glass of water
cup of coffee... See more
left to right:
clip-on light
phone
calculator
copy holder (with boiler service record on it! the boiler repair man is coming today to provide me with hot water once more)
rusty anglepoise lamp
computer speaker
flat screen 1
printouts of last three PDFs to translate (PDFs were too rubbish to convert into text)
volume control knob for computer speakers
Latest volume of Record for my old college
glass of water
cup of coffee
flat screen 2
another computer speaker
hand cream
spare lightbulbs
expired university library card
someone's membership form for local ITI group
tissues
9-volt battery
hairclips
scissors
German dictionary
box of pens
printer server waiting for me to set it up
stapler

and because it's a big desk, the right hand side has a pile of stuff, and I don't even want to think about what's in it. There are further piles of stuff around the office - when we moved six months ago, I got it just tidy enough to work in, and I gave up at that point.

I can work in any amount of clutter, and like Henry I can find everything, and other people meddle at their peril!
Collapse

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
who was it that said... May 24, 2007

... a clean desk is the sign of a cluttered mind,

or

A clean stall is the sign of a dead horse,

or

A clean kitchen is the sign of a wasted life,

or (my favourite)

A clean home is the sign of a boring person?

Melzie
Melzie
French to English
+ ...
YES!! May 24, 2007

sylvie malich wrote:

... a clean desk is the sign of a cluttered mind,

or

A clean stall is the sign of a dead horse,

or

A clean kitchen is the sign of a wasted life,

or (my favourite)

A clean home is the sign of a boring person?

My mind is REALLY tidy
My life is REALLY fulfilled
My life is REALLY interesting

... I haven't got a horse

My husband says he can never find anyting in my office, but then I don't want him to!!!

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks John! May 24, 2007

John Cutler wrote:

I answered 6 to 10 too Orla, but here's what the experts say about those who answered 20+

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/smth08.shtml

I knew there was a good reason for the (non)appearance of my desk! I'm forwarding the link to all the people who have, ahem, commented on the state of my office.

Catherine

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
11-15 May 24, 2007

But that's by categorising like-items (pens, CDs, sheets of paper etc.) together. Otherwise, it'd be a lot more.

Current work-related clutter: mouse, keyboard, jobs diary, calculator, phone, job printouts, stapler, pencils, pens.

Non work-related: cats' vaccination certificates, two cuddly toys, CDs, camera, MP3 player.

Not even mine: WI-FI connection, web cam, head set.

Hm... that adds up to 17!...
See more
But that's by categorising like-items (pens, CDs, sheets of paper etc.) together. Otherwise, it'd be a lot more.

Current work-related clutter: mouse, keyboard, jobs diary, calculator, phone, job printouts, stapler, pencils, pens.

Non work-related: cats' vaccination certificates, two cuddly toys, CDs, camera, MP3 player.

Not even mine: WI-FI connection, web cam, head set.

Hm... that adds up to 17!

[Edited at 2007-05-24 11:08]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many items do you have on your desk right now?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »