Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Since I became a freelancer I've gained weight.
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 10:54
SITE STAFF
May 24, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Since I became a freelancer I've gained weight.".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:54
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Why? May 24, 2007

Why should this affect the weight?!

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:54
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Extremely High Gain May 24, 2007

In early 1990, when the first time I worked on a translation job, my trousers size was 30 and my weight was 65 (I am 175 cms).

Now, they are 38 and 104.

Isabel Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:54
Italian to English
Why? Because.... May 24, 2007

we sit in front of a PC all day!

I started running and go to the gym to try get rid of the middle age spread, all to no avail - as yet!

There, that's proof that (deep down) I AM an optimist!

Believe me, Jussi, having a child in middle age THEN becoming a fulltime translator working from home does have unexpected side effects - on what fits in your wardrobe.

Having read the recent forum re. pets, my next move is to get a dog (another 30 mins exercise a day)

Isabel

Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:54
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Yes, a little May 24, 2007

Yes, a little, but it has nothing to do with being a freelancer. It is because my present way of life. For the last year or something I am forced to work seven days a week (plus at least two nights per month) and I don't have any free time at all. Literally. I suffer a lot, but I have no choice right now. I miss the mountain, I miss the caving I used to practice a few years ago, I miss all the emotions these things provide...
I hope that after I become less busy I will manage to lose this extra weight. However, as I already mentioned, it has absolutely nothing in common with being a freelancer.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lots of reasons May 24, 2007

Jussi Rosti wrote:

Why should this affect the weight?!

I suppose because many freelancers work odd or long hours and may find it difficult to do exercise and burn enough calories.

There’s also the temptation to snack when taking a break (that’s a no-no, but, many times, unavoidable temptation).
I go to the gym regularly, but when one of those big projects comes along I find myself saying, “I’ll go to the gym again when I finish THIS project.” Sometimes it’s true and other times it’s not.

I’ve put on a few kilos due to the working-snacking-working syndrome. My latest resolution is to start riding my bike more often.

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
A lot May 24, 2007

I used to weigh 47 and now I weigh 60. And I actually gained more weight while I was on an interpretation assignment in a Dairy.

I do try to get some exercise from time to time... but it is actually useless because one needs to be consistent and that is difficult.

Regards,

Ritu

Ute Wietfeld  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:54
English to German
+ ...
I did initially ... May 24, 2007

... and quite a lot, around 6 kilos in the first 6 months! For rather than rushing around in London coping with full-time employment and bringing up a small child, I just seemed to move between office and kitchen once we'd relocated to the country, specially after my son started school. But then we got a rather lively puppy who demands at least 2 walks a day, and after about another 6 months I was back to normal - so that's my solution to the "freelance weight gain"!

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Interesting but... May 24, 2007

I think a big factor here is also the onslaught of not-so-healthy foods over the past 10 years or so.

We have less time, so we buy more ready foods (or at least intermediate products - all kinds of helpers, sauces and what not which speed up the making of our dinner at least a little, but which obviously are not as healthy as if we bought fresh ingredients).

That is my take on the issue and my experience.

Pawel Skalinski

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:54
French to Portuguese
+ ...
A lot May 24, 2007

But it has little to do with freelancing, although I know it contributes for the weight gain.

Since I'm no a diet I can say another thing "Since I became a freelancer I've been having more trouble to lose weight", but other factors contribute to that as well: I like to eat, I was a mother not long ago, I had to stop doing gymnastics because of a foot that ached, hormonal problems in-between, etc. (It usually sounds as an excuse...... but it's not in my case... I swear!).

Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
A lot May 24, 2007

Could have something to do with me becoming a mother around the same time, and not getting any younger...

Cecilia

Fiamma Lolli
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Yes, a little, because... May 24, 2007

... I started almost twenty years ago... you know, hormons and all that jazz!

Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:54
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
lost a little May 24, 2007

But that's more do to the dog than the freelancing.
Although, *because* I set my own schedule, I *can* take the time to walk the dog every day.
So maybe freelancing is the root cause.

bartek  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Almost true May 24, 2007

Rebecca Garber wrote:

But that's more do to the dog than the freelancing.
Although, *because* I set my own schedule, I *can* take the time to walk the dog every day.
So maybe freelancing is the root cause.

Since my dog (Bartek) passed away I have gained some 5 kg

Teresa

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Since I became a freelancer I've gained weight.

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs