Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: In quiet periods you mostly:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 1, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In quiet periods you mostly:".

This poll was originally submitted by Rebecca Hendry

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a ne
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In quiet periods you mostly:".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:06
Member (2004)
English to French
I like to play video games Jun 1, 2007

Especially the Sims 2!

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:06
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jun 1, 2007

I replied "other" because I do what I have to do when I have a quiet period.

For instance, right now I have got no work to do and my baby is sleeping, and I chose to relax a bit, but yesterday I spent the whole afternoon invoicing and doing work-related stuff.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:06
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Different activities Jun 1, 2007

Sometimes I play Wii Sports or I tune up my webpage or I'll learn a new language.

Miranda Joubioux (X)
Miranda Joubioux (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:06
French to English
I get out in the open air Jun 1, 2007

I try to get out in the open air. I walk my dog, I visit friends I haven't seen for a while, I look after my garden, etc. In fact, I try to do just about anything that gets me away from the computer!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Because just "kick back and relax" would be nice... Jun 1, 2007

...but there's always stuff to do, shopping, household chores, formalities like SS payments, bills etc...
I moved to a new house nearly 2 weeks ago and I still haven't managed to unpack and arrange all my stuff, I've had to deal with internet problems and arranging to have my stolen and written off vespa scrapped etc as well as work, and then there's the garden... The swimming pool needs cleaning because my daughter's coming in 2 weeks and she will NOT be amused if it isn't up and running
... See more
...but there's always stuff to do, shopping, household chores, formalities like SS payments, bills etc...
I moved to a new house nearly 2 weeks ago and I still haven't managed to unpack and arrange all my stuff, I've had to deal with internet problems and arranging to have my stolen and written off vespa scrapped etc as well as work, and then there's the garden... The swimming pool needs cleaning because my daughter's coming in 2 weeks and she will NOT be amused if it isn't up and running by then...
I've also spent rather too much time time trying to cancel my old wanadoo/orange internet subscription, they've hung up on me twice already, and this on a top rate paying "customer service " line.... I'll try again next week...
I also run a pub quiz on Sundays for people to practice their English but that's finished for the summer, thanks goodness ...
At least I can occasionally escape for the odd hour and go for a bike ride to clear my head before back to the PC...
Maybe within about 4 days I might be able to relax a bit more and see to the pool, but for now it's work all the way this weekend and... where is all my clean underwear???

[Edited at 2007-06-01 14:04]

[Edited at 2007-06-01 14:06]
Collapse

Anne Wosnitza
Anne Wosnitza  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to German
+ ...
Worries Jun 1, 2007

I still keep worrying whenever there's nothing to do that distracts me.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
chill... Jun 1, 2007

Anne Wosnitza wrote:

I still keep worrying whenever there's nothing to do that distracts me.

I relax and chill out for a day or two, as it doesn't happen very often. If it is quiet for more than that, I start getting nervous...

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:06
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Music Jun 1, 2007

I try to put more time in practicing piano and working on my arrangements, etc. I grab every spare minute for that!

Amy

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Gardening, housework, lunch with friends ... Jun 1, 2007

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

I love gardening, especially at this time of year, so I'm delighted to be able to get at it when work's quiet. If the quiet time goes on even longer, I may find myself forced to clean the house too. If I arrange to have lunch with friends, it usually means that work starts coming in as soon as I've put down the phone.
Regards,
Jenny.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 02:06
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Work on terminology Jun 1, 2007

As long as it is during business hours, I actively enrich my knowledge of terminology. I do this by compiling lists, refining my termbases, indexing and searching documents related to my fields of expertise. It is so important to have some "down time" so that when the flood of translation work comes, you are ahead of the game instead of researchinig as you go along.

Reed

Helene Diu
Helene Diu  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
English to French
Depends on definition Jun 1, 2007

I suppose if you call cleaning the house and dealing with the ironing pile "kick back and relax", then yeah, I do kick back and relax

Riitta Law
Riitta Law  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Finnish to English
other/work related/worry Jun 1, 2007

I play around with Trados, if I'm not ruling the world in Civilization video game;)

I worry too, because I'm very new to this and jobs are hard to come by in my language pair ....

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Me too! Jun 1, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:

I try to put more time in practicing piano and working on my arrangements, etc. I grab every spare minute for that!

Amy

I just checked the computer ... after sitting down at the piano for a bit. Nothing like sitting down at the piano to unwind!
Catherine

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
What quiet periods? Jun 1, 2007

Where do you all get them from?

I assume that "N/A" can be the only answer to this question.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In quiet periods you mostly:

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »