https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/74690-poll%3A_how_old_do_you_want_to_live_to_be.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: How old do you want to live to be?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 5, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How old do you want to live to be?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rafael Molina Pulgar

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, se
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How old do you want to live to be?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tough question Jun 5, 2007

This is one of those tough questions. Who doesn’t want to live a long, healthy, productive life? Perhaps the key words are “healthy” and “productive”. If living to 100 (like my great-grandmother did) means sitting around and drooling and talking about what I did when I was 7, I’m not the least bit interested.

Both my parents are in their 80s now and doing fairly well as far as health goes. If I live as long as them, and in the same state of well-being, I’ll be happy.

Catherine Brix
Catherine Brix
Swedish to English
+ ...
Content, always content Jun 5, 2007

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
I don't know Jun 5, 2007

You didn't expect me to choose one among the numbers as the "age I want to die", did you? And I certainly wouldn't want to surrender to fate. So I chose "I don't know". Nor do I want to think about it.

Have nothing to add on what John has said, though:
If living to 100 means sitting around and drooling and talking about what I did when I was 7, I’m not the least bit interested.

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
Quantity vs. Quality again Jun 5, 2007

Mary Catherine Brix wrote:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Beautiful. Nothing more to add.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
At a minimum: enough to be sure that my children will be fine and happy Jun 5, 2007

To me the most important aspect now is being assured that my children are doing fine professionally and are happy in their lives. Living until that moment is my minimum. That means some 30 years from now approximately.

Any time over that mark will be very welcome, as both myself and my wife have tons of things we want to do together or independently but never have time for!

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 13:43
English to Russian
+ ...
That's what we all think when we are young and strong Jun 5, 2007

John Cutler wrote:
If living to 100 (like my great-grandmother did) means sitting around and drooling and talking about what I did when I was 7, I’m not the least bit interested.

but when the time comes, no matter how ill and miserable h/h might seem from the outside, every human grabs on to life frantically, just to feel the warmth of the sunlight and take another breath one extra time. Nothing can be more natural. Any early judgments are... quite naive, the least to say. Let's wait and see what life brings us and be grateful for what we already had and have:-)

I'd say - don't tempt your fortune. I don't want to answer this question:-)

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Worry not over what transcends us Jun 5, 2007

There are so many concerns and worries that can afflict a person in life, so my personal philosophy has always been not to worry about what I have no say over: the amount of traffic on the road, the weather, the way people look at me..., and also how long I live.

Life a good life, live it for others and the Creator, and everything will fall into place!

[Edited at 2007-06-05 15:50]

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
A lot more to life than "productive quotient" Jun 5, 2007

John Cutler wrote:

This is one of those tough questions. Who doesn’t want to live a long, healthy, productive life? Perhaps the key words are “healthy” and “productive”. If living to 100 (like my great-grandmother did) means sitting around and drooling and talking about what I did when I was 7, I’m not the least bit interested.

My grandmother is near that age, and greatly reduced in her functions, yet she enjoys her little life, and we love watching her enjoy it. "Love" seems a far more important judge of life than "productivity."

As long as one lives, there is the possibility of loving and being loved. And as one of my good friends with Down syndrome shows, often the least "productive" lives materially speaking are most meaningful, the lives that give most meaning to others, to their families. They are the ones that produce the most love, and never once would we think of doing without them.

[Edited at 2007-06-05 15:58]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:43
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Quality of life Jun 5, 2007

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

This question becomes less amusing the older one actually gets. Many people in the UK now live to a very old age, but the quality of their lives is appalling - more of a living death than a life. I saw it happen to my mother. Her life was so wretched that she just wanted to die - the inexorable destruction of a beautiful and talented woman. Of course some very old people do continue to live happy lives and I hope I'll be one of them - but I'd rather not think about it.
Cheerfully,
Jenny

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:43
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
more than 1000 Jun 5, 2007

I want to reach 100 y.o. but in good phyisica and mental conditions.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
91-95 Jun 5, 2007

I think that's a great age to die - you get to have grandchildren and even great grandchildren, you get to see how the universe evolves and you also evolve yourself. I always say we keep growing and learning until we die, no matter at what age we die. I also like the idea that I will get to go more places and see more things if I live longer.

But I do have my conditions. I want to live healthy, even when I get old. I am not asking for my breasts to stay where they are now or for my
... See more
I think that's a great age to die - you get to have grandchildren and even great grandchildren, you get to see how the universe evolves and you also evolve yourself. I always say we keep growing and learning until we die, no matter at what age we die. I also like the idea that I will get to go more places and see more things if I live longer.

But I do have my conditions. I want to live healthy, even when I get old. I am not asking for my breasts to stay where they are now or for my hair to stay brown or for my skin to stay smooth - I think it is perfectly fine to look your age. But I do want to be able to use my legs to get to places and even bike and hike and I want to be able to be there where people who matter to me are (no missing my grandchild's graduation because I'm stuck in the hospital). I certainly don't want to become a burden on my family either. So, provided I am reasonably healthy, I would love to live long - but not if I have to spend time in a hospital and not at the expense of taking a handful of medication each day.

I noticed how 17% of us said they want to live past 100 - I don't see the point. I think the only way that is possible is with surgery, medication and treatments that are only meant to keep an old person young physically, which goes against nature and creates illusions that can easily disappoint, both socially and healthwise. I don't believe in extreme longevity - when life becomes a struggle and all we do is sit all day on the porch with an aching back, a diaper and chewing on aspirin, there's no point in being alive. Also, living too old comes with a risk, the risk of seeing and living through things that we'd rather not see or live through - catastrophes due to global warming, war, famine and all the devastating things the human race is working so hard at creating as we speak. I certainly don't want to be there when our governments or companies (!) pick and choose who gets to move on another planet and who stays here to die on a planet Earth stripped of everything we need to stay alive.
Collapse

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Quote Jun 5, 2007

And in the end,
it's not the years in your life that
count.
It's the life in your years.

I don't know who the original author is. I found it in the Website of a girl who died of Ewing's Sarcoma at age 12, was very much loved and enjoyed life as much as she could.

I chose "What fate allows". However, I would love to hold my grandchildren in my arms, one day. Given that my triplets are only 8, that might take a long time.

Laura

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
If I am healthy and independant Jun 5, 2007

I could go on for ever, but if I am sick, have to rely on others to change my diaper, etc., I'd rather leave early.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
I don't know Jun 5, 2007

And don't want to!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How old do you want to live to be?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »