Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: What was your biggest email blunder?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:34
Spanish
+ ...
My biggest email blunder... Jun 6, 2007

is not included as an option:

"Dear Xxx, Please review the attachment...", and of course there's no attachment anywhere on the email. It used to happen quite often, but now I add a list of all documents attached at the bottom of the email, even if it's just one document.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Accidentally sending an unfinished message... Jun 6, 2007

Hi Nesrin/all,

I have also goofed with some (if not all) of the options included in the poll, but one of my sporadic ones is hitting by mistake the Send button before having finished writing the message.

I use Eudora as my email program, so even though the Send button is not really close to the other buttons, somehow I have managed to hit it by accident more than once.

And btw, Viktoria's anecdote about "Fear Venus" is hillarious, lol! It's as if typos were
... See more
Hi Nesrin/all,

I have also goofed with some (if not all) of the options included in the poll, but one of my sporadic ones is hitting by mistake the Send button before having finished writing the message.

I use Eudora as my email program, so even though the Send button is not really close to the other buttons, somehow I have managed to hit it by accident more than once.

And btw, Viktoria's anecdote about "Fear Venus" is hillarious, lol! It's as if typos were sometimes almost like Freudian slips...

Best,

Ivette
Collapse

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I can beat all of you... Jun 6, 2007

I once wrote an email to an ex-girlfriend and, daydreaming a little, I started writing a few things in the email that, erm, "might have been" had we stayed together. I intended to delete these sentences before I actually sent the email.

You already know how this story ends...

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:34
Spanish
+ ...
You won Jun 6, 2007

ryancolm wrote:

I once wrote an email to an ex-girlfriend and, daydreaming a little, I started writing a few things in the email that, erm, "might have been" had we stayed together. I intended to delete these sentences before I actually sent the email.

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reply all Jun 6, 2007

Meaning to comment in private to one person only... bad scene.

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 19:34
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Definitely! Jun 6, 2007

Virginie L wrote:

It may enter the "written when sleepy" category, but I've been known to send emails without the promised documents attached... Definitely a "oops" factor, even if I often realise my mistake before anyone calls or sends another email asking me for the documents!

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wrong sender Jun 6, 2007

I have more than one e-mail account; one for private matters, one for business.

Twice now, I've sent a friend of mine an e-mail that was signed: M. Logmans, Translation Services

I'm happy to say - AFAIK - that I've never sent a client a message from my personal account, but it might just happen some day. Hope it won't, but you never know.

Margreet

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
the fight with my boyfriend that my managing editor ... Jun 6, 2007

definitely did NOT want to hear about!

I was so hurt and upset, and I poured it all out in an email to my good friend, Kathy K; when I put in the addressee, it went to my managing editor, Kathy H.

Fortunately, Kathy H. took a very motherly approach to the whole thing and was very supportive. But even now (15 years later?), I can feel my cheeks turning RED just remembering this horrible experience.

Great poll question!

PS I've also made all
... See more
definitely did NOT want to hear about!

I was so hurt and upset, and I poured it all out in an email to my good friend, Kathy K; when I put in the addressee, it went to my managing editor, Kathy H.

Fortunately, Kathy H. took a very motherly approach to the whole thing and was very supportive. But even now (15 years later?), I can feel my cheeks turning RED just remembering this horrible experience.

Great poll question!

PS I've also made all the other boo-boos!
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:34
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Well I don't Jun 6, 2007

ryancolm wrote:

No I don't know how it ends. "Reader, I married her" perhaps?
Jenny.
P.S. Who can identify that quotation?

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:34
English to Arabic
+ ...
Only with the help of Google, I'm afraid! Jun 6, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

"Reader, I married her" perhaps?
Jenny.
P.S. Who can identify that quotation?

www.online-literature.com/brontec/janeeyre/38/

Found it even though the original is slightly different!

[Edited at 2007-06-06 22:17]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another Jun 6, 2007

Automatically replying to a client when the anti-virus has clearly marked his message "SPAM"

Buzzy
Buzzy
French to English
I sent the last draft version, not the final version of a translated academic article Jun 7, 2007

And my dear trusting client sent it straight on to submit for publication!
I realised before she did, told her immediately of course - not an enoyable feeling - and guess who had to phone America to beg for indulgence and permission to send on the correct file (by this time of course the submission deadline had passed). I don't think the journal accepted the article.
BUT the client has since given me more work... which goes to show that even a disaster doesn"t necessarily lose you a
... See more
And my dear trusting client sent it straight on to submit for publication!
I realised before she did, told her immediately of course - not an enoyable feeling - and guess who had to phone America to beg for indulgence and permission to send on the correct file (by this time of course the submission deadline had passed). I don't think the journal accepted the article.
BUT the client has since given me more work... which goes to show that even a disaster doesn"t necessarily lose you a client. I still think I was lucky though, and am more careful with naming files and versions now!
Collapse

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Erm... Jun 7, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

ryancolm wrote:

No I don't know how it ends. "Reader, I married her" perhaps?
Jenny.

Reader, I didn't marry her.
Colm

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other: sending from a humorous e-mail address... Jun 7, 2007

Yes, that was my best one!

Years ago the IT responsible of my company and me were joking about some new austerity rules just set in the company.

We needed a fake e-mail for some testing and created a hotmail-style address from a guy called: "Austeritat Infinita" which means "Infinite Austerity".

We did some testing for a while and then I sent a serious and BIG-rated proposal to my best customer. I forgot to switch my user in the e-mail client, so that th
... See more
Yes, that was my best one!

Years ago the IT responsible of my company and me were joking about some new austerity rules just set in the company.

We needed a fake e-mail for some testing and created a hotmail-style address from a guy called: "Austeritat Infinita" which means "Infinite Austerity".

We did some testing for a while and then I sent a serious and BIG-rated proposal to my best customer. I forgot to switch my user in the e-mail client, so that they received it from.... "Infinite Austerity"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After I recovered from panic shock I called them just to warn that there had been a mistake...

... and, well: they are STILL my customers... AND they are still laughing at that (phew!)

Ruth @ MW
Collapse

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
The wrong Fredrik Jun 7, 2007

I have a long-standing client who tends to send job requests at any hour of the day or night, so I sent him (or I thought I did) a little note saying something along the lines of: "I'm available most evenings or any time on Thursday or Friday" with no further explanation. I didn't realise my mistake until I received a reply from a different Fredrik saying "Oh. Thanks for telling me." He was obviously too embarrased to point out my mistake - I had no reasong to be sending the wrong man messages t... See more
I have a long-standing client who tends to send job requests at any hour of the day or night, so I sent him (or I thought I did) a little note saying something along the lines of: "I'm available most evenings or any time on Thursday or Friday" with no further explanation. I didn't realise my mistake until I received a reply from a different Fredrik saying "Oh. Thanks for telling me." He was obviously too embarrased to point out my mistake - I had no reasong to be sending the wrong man messages that could be interpreted as, well, inviting - so I wrote a quick mail back, blushing furiously, to say sorry, completely wrong person, that it was my availability for work and nothing else. To complicate things even more, the "wrong" Fredrik's brother is a client of mine. Fortunately he has a great sense of the ridiculous, so I decided to get there first and just tell him that if his brother happens to mention that I'm not backwards at being forward and that I have terrible e-mail skills, only half of that is true... All worked out well in the end, but it took me a while to live it down!

[Edited at 2007-06-07 08:08]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What was your biggest email blunder?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »