Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: The best day to get translation jobs is:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 7, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "The best day to get translation jobs is:".

This poll was originally submitted by polsKArina

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see:
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "The best day to get translation jobs is:".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 22:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Any day of the week Jun 7, 2007

except Saturday and Sunday

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:25
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mo. to Th. Jun 7, 2007

From Monday to Thursday.

The other days, activity decreases, I suppose it's because Friday to Sunday are important religious days.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:25
Member (2004)
English to French
Saturday and Sunday Jun 7, 2007

when freelancing.
Otherwise, I'm an in-house translator and it's Monday through Friday, business hours.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:25
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Monday, but ... Jun 7, 2007

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

The best day to get work is Monday, but in my world it tends to arrive on Friday (translators don't need weekends - of course not!)
Regards,
Jenny.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Confused Jun 7, 2007

Yaotl Altan wrote:

From Monday to Thursday.

The other days, activity decreases, I suppose it's because Friday to Sunday are important religious days.

VS.

Jenny Forbes wrote:

The best day to get work is Monday, but in my world it tends to arrive on Friday (translators don't need weekends - of course not!)

"Best day" as in "the day when we get more work", or "best day" as in "the most convenient day to get work"?

Andrea

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
2nd option Jun 7, 2007

Andrea Riffo wrote:

"Best day" as in "the day when we get more work", or "best day" as in "the most convenient day to get work"?

Andrea

I understood the question in the second way you suggest: the most convenient day to get work.

[Editado a las 2007-06-07 17:04]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The best day to get translation jobs is Jun 7, 2007

when you don't want them.

Honestly, now, who hasn't been caught at the door with his suitcase ready and the family waiting when suddenly the fax begins to vomit?

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
Why is it always Friday? Jun 7, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

View the poll here

Regards,
Jenny.

It always happens - you reach 5.30 pm on Friday and look back with satisfaction at an honest week's work, when the phone rings and an agency pleads with you to accept a translation for Monday morning.

And why? Because the end client has spent the entire week sitting on his ass and flaffing about, and has just realised that he (and it usually is a 'he') should have got on with putting the translation out on Wednesday. And will he be working all weekend as well? No, of course he won't - he'll be relaxing, playing golf, taking the family to the beach, confident that the translation will be on his desk on Monday morning.

Not from me, it won't.

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Reverse the question Jun 7, 2007

lexical wrote:

It always happens - you reach 5.30 pm on Friday and look back with satisfaction at an honest week's work, when the phone rings and an agency pleads with you to accept a translation for Monday morning.

Exactly the same thing happening here every Friday. Of course translators don't need any free weekends, many clients say. After all we have been sitting waiting for this one job with arms crossed the whole week and are looking forward to a weekend in front of the screen...

Frankly spoken, we always suggest 50 to 100 % extra for these jobs, because Friday until Monday is just like from today until tomorrow. We all need to recharge our batteries during weekend, just like clients need. If we're in bad shape, not getting enough sleep etc. the quality of our job will suffer.

Let's reverse the poll question: "When's the worst day to get translation jobs?". I guess many colleagues would vote for Friday after 3 pm, at least for jobs to be finished until Monday morning when client has a meeting with big boss (who hopefully won't notice that the guy had been sitting on the text from Tuesday until Friday afternoon until he gave up and sent it off to us professionals).

Erik

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thursday Jun 7, 2007

That lets me plan my weekend. I can either knock myself out and finish Thursday night and Friday, or (if I'm just going to be around home on the weekend) I can take an evening or two off to relax and then hit it hard over the weekend.

If I get my jobs early in the week, planning is less flexible; I usually have to have them done by Friday.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Weekends are a state of mind Jun 8, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I've set aside Wednesdays and Thursdays as my weekend. Makes things simpler.

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Best days for work Jun 8, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:
"Weekends are a state of mind"
[
I've set aside Wednesdays and Thursdays as my weekend. Makes things simpler.

I agree on your sentiment about weekends. I live in Valencia city in Spain and the roads, beaches, shops, restaurants, bars are all busy at weekends, whereas, during the week it is more relaxing and easy going.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
My answer would be "when I have time" Jun 8, 2007

I entirely agree that weekends are a state of mind, but you do sometimes have to hold them when the rest of the family is in that state of mind too.

When I was a child, the bigger the weekend, the more my father used to work - that was just his job... while weeks in the summer holidays used to consist of six Saturdays and a Sunday. (And my father frequently had weddings or other work on Saturdays...)

Ch
... See more
I entirely agree that weekends are a state of mind, but you do sometimes have to hold them when the rest of the family is in that state of mind too.

When I was a child, the bigger the weekend, the more my father used to work - that was just his job... while weeks in the summer holidays used to consist of six Saturdays and a Sunday. (And my father frequently had weddings or other work on Saturdays...)

Children do not always appreciate it if their parents only work and sleep when school is in the weekend frame of mind, believe me!

I'm married to a serious workaholic, but there are spouses who don't appreciate it either.

Have a nice weekend either way!
Collapse

Marija Stojanovich
Marija Stojanovich  Identity Verified
Serbia
Serbian to English
+ ...
Makes no difference... Jun 8, 2007

...as I've settled for "7-days-a-week-24-hours-a-day" schedule a long time ago.

I do hate it, though, when I get a new (usually urgent) job on the day I set aside for travelling to or from our holiday destination - I do take my laptop with me, but an airplane/train/bus with two kids and a husband in tow is NOT the most convenient place to work.

Why is it no one takes me seriously when I state I'm UNavailable on a certain date? ...
See more
...as I've settled for "7-days-a-week-24-hours-a-day" schedule a long time ago.

I do hate it, though, when I get a new (usually urgent) job on the day I set aside for travelling to or from our holiday destination - I do take my laptop with me, but an airplane/train/bus with two kids and a husband in tow is NOT the most convenient place to work.

Why is it no one takes me seriously when I state I'm UNavailable on a certain date?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The best day to get translation jobs is:

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »